Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:27 pm

Lintar wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:
Asperger's isn't a disease or a disability! It just makes you different! [At least, this is what I believe, and whether you believe that you are worthy of your differentness makes all the difference in the world!] So a big Luke Skywalker NEVER! to the idea of a 'cure'! [Sorry if I've offended anyone for whatever reason.]

If it isn't a disability, then why is there even a need for a site like Wrong Planet? Why do so many here feel as though they just don't belong (hence the name of the site)?

If your response is something like, 'We need extra attention/services in order to compensate for the way society is structured', then it needs to be asked why the vast majority of us find it so difficult to cope with the way things are now, when approximately 96% of the world's population (the N.T.'s) don't seem to have the same issues we do when it comes to the things that make life so difficult for us.

Lintar wrote:
PhoenixFalcon wrote:
I personally believe finding a cure for autism is one step away from eugenics, if not straight up eugenics. I believe that autism is necessary to maintain neurodiversity, but I also believe in the freedom for people to make their own decisions. With this in mind, I believe people should be allowed to seek out a cure, but should be discouraged from doing so.

What about schizophrenics? Are they also a part of this 'neurodiversity' that you speak of? What about sociopaths and psychopaths? Why is 'maintaining neurodiversity' so important anyway?

Answers to these and related questions here:

viewtopic.php?t=294881

Or if you want to go straight to the sources:
http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2015 ... se-of.html
http://neurocosmopolitanism.com/neurodi ... finitions/

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:32 pm

Sorry for the double post--My answers to the questions:

1. Are you for or against a cure. (hypothetically, let assume it's possible for this question).
Before you even get to assuming it's possible, you would have to define what a cure is. I think this would, in practice, be impossible. I see naive discussions of a cure that are based on a hypothetical etiology of autism based on a some very simple factor. We are to imagine an "autism switch" somewhere that can be in an on or off position. But there is no evidence to support the idea of such a thing and there is a vast amount of evidence suggesting something much, much more complicated. Without dealing with this, the discussion of "a cure" seems to me to belong with philosophers debates about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin. There is nothing there to believe in.

2. Would you want to be cured?
I think it would be great to be able to have relationships with people more easily and not to have some of the misunderstandings that arise between me and other people.

3. Do you feel autism is part of your identity?
It has become clear to me that many things that I always believed were uniquely mine are part of a larger pattern called autism. Certain autistic traits have been significant factors in every part of my life and it's good to have a name for that and a way of understanding it. When the my reading into autism first made me suspect it in myself, I found myself reconsidering events from every period of my life and recognizing that my behavior and the reactions of those around me were consistent with this larger pattern. It dawned on me that some people had tried to tell me years ago and that I had been unable to hear it, but I had to check that perception by asking them. When you go back and see the way these traits were significant in your early childhood, first school experiences, more advanced school, general socialization, romantic relationships, university experience, and life seeking employment or working, it's impossible not to see that autism is part of what you are. You are the sum of all those experiences. It's not the only part but it's a key part, like being bipedal or having opposable thumbs.

4. Would you be the same person without autism?
Of course not, because of the impact mentioned in question 3. But personal identity is a complicated thing. See the work of David Wiggins to get a sense of how complicated that question can be, if you care to look at it in detail:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 516.x/full

5. How would you feel if your parents tried to cure you? (as a child)
I don't know what that would mean, exactly. My parents were odd people from odd families. They were from a literary and artistic world that did not value conformity and found great worth in individual expression and unique perspective. To that extent, they were naturally friendly to some degree of neurodivergence. "Would you try to cure Motzart, or Newton," they would ask--not because of retrospective diagnoses of those people, but because of a sense of their value to humanity as unique individuals. They avoided labels and avoided having their children classified in any way.
They would regard any attempt at a gross change in personality as obscene, and something very deep in them would have to have changed for them to try it. To them it would be like signing up your child for mind control experiments with a caring CIA doctor. They did try to help me overcome specific things that were bothering me, but when that didn't work, they just agreed that people were awful and left it at that.

6. What is a positive side of you being autistic?
I believe that my ability to focus, affinity for digital systems and appreciation of algorithms, math and science as well as aspects of my visual aesthetic sense are connected with autism and are all positive things.

7. What is the negative side to being autistic?
Misunderstanding people's intentions and being misunderstood by them. Difficulties making and maintaining friendships.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2015, 2:39 pm

1. Are you for or against a cure. (hypothetically, let assume it's possible for this question).

Depends. If it takes away the social issues then yes. If it take away my focus and obssessive interests, then no.

See above. It depends on what goes away.

Yes. Despite coming across as awkward, I love company and socialization. My interests are a defining part of my character, and if I wasn't obsessive about them, I would be a completely different person.

That depends. More socially intelligent, yes. And therefore probably more inclined towards developing relationshis than to try to excel in my interest. So my priorities would probably turn me into a different person.

I wouldn't know what I'd missed out on since I'd be a different person. I'd be spared a lot of grief from being socially clumsy and awkward.

Extreme focus and passion for my interests. This gives my life meaning.

Social isolation, phobias and paranoia.

ZenWistalia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2015, 2:04 pm

For a cure ... that is, if the person to be cured wants it.

No.

Yes.

No. Because I wouldn't have autism! XD
Comics and bluntness aside, I don't know what I would be like, because I have never experienced it.
Autism effects a lot of areas ... so in turn, it would be too hard to imagine how different I would be!

As a young child (before teenage years) I wouldn't have minded it.
After that, I would have minded. This is because in this part of my life, I've developed a real sense of self. Hence taking away part of myself would be quite upsetting, especially being that my favorite things to do are based around my "intense interest" (can't quite figure out how else to explain it XDDD)
Sort of like, there was a "turning point" in my life.

Being unlike most people. Unique. I like being different. Being different allows me to interact with the world from other angles.

The negative stereotypes about us. We often get made fun of because other's can understand (ironic, huh! :lol: )

Aspician
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2015, 3:39 am

I am against a "cure". I am against people hypothesising about a "cure" (as research nullifies the idea). I am against funds being directed at a "cure".

To me, this is not a legitimate question.

Very strongly.

I would be no person at all without autism.

E.G.: I'm an INTP by personality type. Who would I be without the INTP? Would I automatically become an ESFJ because someone feels that it is more favourable to be an ESFJ, or because a larger part of the population is ESJF?

Violated.

It has gifted me technical talent, immense creativity and imagination, attention to detail, passion, perseverance, keen observation of details, the ability to think way outside the box, unique problem-solving skills, optimism, unending curiosity, a logical view, ambition, honesty, and empathy (yes, empathy). Because of it I rarely feel boredom, loneliness, or the need to follow trends. That's what I can think of at the moment.

With autism comes high levels of anxiety and anxiety-related issues, such as SPD, fatigue, and insomnia. Relationships are generally harder as well. I certainly cannot deny I suffer these issues related to my autism, but that's a trade-off. Every single human mind has a balance, and being exceptional in one area will always leave another area less exceptional.

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2015, 9:05 pm

Definitely against it, because I feel like younger people who get diagnosed would be pressured into it without being given a chance to see the positives.

Not permanently, though I would be interested in perhaps going a day as an NT to understand them better.

How could I not? It's as much a part of my identity as being human.

Nope.

I wouldn't be surprised. As a kid I probably would have leaped at the chance having been made to feel guilty and ashamed of being different. I would probably stop speaking to them if they tried now.

The ability to focus, the apparent richness of my experiences compared to other people's, and (this may seem strange to some people) the lack of instinctual social understanding. Because of that I am free from the pointless games of one-upmanship, sucking up, and outright manipulation that riddle NT communication. I can see right and wrong without being blinded by status.

Struggling with executive function - it tends to lead to procrastination and getting easily distracted... so the important things don't always get done when I want them to.

BenReilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2015, 6:50 am

For.

Yes

No.

No.

Not happy because it is not curable and the attempts to do it bring pain.

None.

Being treated like a fool and someone to be bullied or patronised by NTs.

boygeniusemil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2015, 3:38 am

Against.

No. Why not cure the societal sickness of only catering to persons that fit a certain single mold (i.e. neurotypicals) rather than "curing" people that do not fit said mold?

Yes

No

Angry.

Nearly flawless musical ear, practical approach to things, a different perspective.

Difficulty navigating a very neurodiverse-unfriendly world and social deficits.

supfanat
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2015, 6:53 am

Quote:

I'm against any cure. Neurodiversity is extremely wonderful thing.
Quote:

I don't want to be cured from neurodiversity.
I do however want to be cured from phychosis which is caused by ignorance of society.
Quote:

Definitely yes! And I don't want this part of my identity to be taken away from me
Quote:

Not at all. If I wasn't autistic I couldn't find out that it's possible to create exhaustive recording of weather in some city from above.
Quote:

They tried to do so - even as adult.
Quote:

The love for innovations.
Quote:

Only negative reaction of society. Nothing else.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 7:53 pm

This piece (not written by me) well articulates my own thoughts about the fallacies of cure advocacy:

https://purpleaspie.wordpress.com/2012/11/

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 8:40 pm

I don't want a cure.

Imagine a world where there was NO neurodiversity whatsoever. I get very scared by merely thinking about such a nightmarish reality.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

lemonvariable72
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2015, 2:43 pm

Dysmania wrote:
Hey all. I'm a neurodiverse blog writer. It's a new blog and I'm looking for a second post. I am writing about how some small businesses and parents are making fake businesses with promises of curing the child.

I am debunking the science, and discussing the neurodiverse perspective. So I wanted to opinions from people who are affected.

Thanks!

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 5:39 pm

I like this topic, and if it helps you write your article... why not?

Absolutely for. If this could be made possible, denying the option to those who want it seems selfish and immoral.

I would. It would need to be proven effective and reasonably safe before I'd go for that, but... yes. I'd actually accept some level of risk, here.

Maybe. It's certainly affected me in a lot of ways, but it's not something I share with people in the same way as political, philosophical, gender or other aspects of identity. I could probably argue for either position; it is, or it isn't.

I don't group myself with other people with autism. I almost never discuss it at all.

I have no idea. Are we talking about if I could take a magic pill and make it go away? My personality would change, and I'd be fine with that. If we're talking about my whole life? Probably, but what does thinking about that get me?

Very, very confused and possibly angry. But I don't think my father would push me into it; he is the kind of parent who would have explained the situation to me and waited for my agreement. And I probably would have come around to the idea after a while.

Different perspective on a lot of things, I guess? That can be useful. In truth it's very hard for me to find the silver lining here. I spent about fifteen years looking before concluding it was a fool's errand.

I'm at a disadvantage with social interaction, which I'd consider the basis of everything that truly matters in the world. Wanting to connect with people and having to fight and struggle to do that is... it's incredibly painful. Also painful: the fact autism is comorbid with conditions that make my knees hurt all the time, but that's considerably more palatable than the first problem.

Hypersensitivity, being distressed by things I shouldn't, needing all sorts of "downtime" when I could be doing something more productive, getting things done more slowly when I am doing something productive, etc., etc. A lot of things, really.

Anyway, I'm interested to see your article, Dysmania. Are you going to post a link when it's done?

Rudin wrote:
Imagine a world where there was NO neurodiversity whatsoever. I get very scared by merely thinking about such a nightmarish reality.

Why does that scare you, though? I don't mean to say you're wrong to be, but I'm trying to understand.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 12:50 pm

I could go into a very comprehensive expression of my thoughts on this topic however, due to my writing style, I'd probably be seen as a little kid or something therefore, I simply state that my AS has defined me in many ways but, it's not the hindrance nor obstacle of my life.Rather it's the manner in which I'm able to understand and relate back to the world and all those people in it.