Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Seahorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2015, 6:29 pm

Had a job interview today, didn't go well. I was very nervous. The invite said there would be one interviewer but when I turned up there were three. I ummed and Ahhed all the way through and couldn't remember my answers. Then the last question they asked was, "if I were a biscuit what would I be, and why?", this completely threw me.... :-(

The annoying thing is I would have been really good at the job, but I really think I've blown it... :-(

MissBearpolar
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2015, 7:46 pm

It's a rifF on an infamously awful Barbara Walters interview re: what kind of tree would you be.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 4:36 am

That question (and its legion of alternatives) is to test your improvisation. They ask you a completely nonsensical and unrelated question, out of the blue, to see how you react.

The answer you give is not relevant, but the way you respond to getting the question is: i have answered one with "there won't be time to find out, as i'd be eaten instantly". I got a few laughs and that was it: a good answer.

When i was applying for a living space in college, they asked me 'what would you do with a truckload of pingpong balls'; same question type, same reason.

You can (and should) always be expecting unexpected situations, and these types of questions are designed to test how you deal.
The only wrong answer is "erm, what?"

Seahorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2015, 2:33 pm

Well I did get a laugh,I said a ginger nut, because I'm a bit spicy and a bit nutty. Felt like an idiot as soon as I said it. Anyway, it must have worked as they told me today i got the job. :-)

2020aspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2015, 9:58 pm

Congratulations Seahorse! :D

Seahorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2015, 1:04 pm

2020aspie wrote:
Congratulations Seahorse! :D

Why, thank you kindly.... :lol:

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2015, 3:19 pm

Congratulations Seahorse. I hope the job is going well. I am in Kent (Canterbury area) also :)

Seahorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2017, 10:18 am

Fourteen months on and I'm still in this job, I love the work, but OMG, I hate it there. My manager is so angry I did not declare my AS at interview. She is giving me a really hard time about it and saying that my communication problems are causin :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :roll: g issues at work and with other people she has asked me to leave, she has told me I'm not right in the head, she tried to get Occupational Health to do a psychiatric assessment of me but they refused. She is making my life a misery...I wish I had never told her about AS because as soon as I did her attitude towards me changed, she says if she had known before she was not have employed me, now she is asking me to leave... I don't know what to do.

electricsaygeo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2017, 4:17 pm

Psychiatric assessment because you told her you have Asperger's Syndrome?!

"Communication problems" causing issues only now, coincidentally after you disclosed you have AS?!

Your manager sounds like one hateful b :evil: tch; you should leave and find a job working for a good manager, and you got 14 months experience to add on a job application

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

I would have said "Seabiscuit."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:04 am

Can't you take it to a higher authority? Tell your line manager? Some corporations even have a hotline for you to report stuff like that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:27 am

She got the job!

She described the biscuit that was delicious to the interviewer.

Kudos to her!

FeardyBase

31 Mar 2017, 5:19 pm

Seahorse wrote:
Fourteen months on and I'm still in this job, I love the work, but OMG, I hate it there. My manager is so angry I did not declare my AS at interview. She is giving me a really hard time about it and saying that my communication problems are causin :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :roll: g issues at work and with other people she has asked me to leave, she has told me I'm not right in the head, she tried to get Occupational Health to do a psychiatric assessment of me but they refused. She is making my life a misery...I wish I had never told her about AS because as soon as I did her attitude towards me changed, she says if she had known before she was not have employed me, now she is asking me to leave... I don't know what to do.

This is one of those times unions are useful.
"If she had known before, she'd have ignored the relevant employment law and discriminated against you unlawfully"