Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 12:50 pm

Niall wrote:
Why should I have to fight that, just to be me? How much do I and others like me have to suffer because of it?

The world seems to have a problem with "should". You don't think you'd have to fight either way?

Niall wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
And it's not "my society". It's everyone's society. Yours too.

ROFLMAO

The autistic employment rate is around 15%. Most of us have few or no friends, few of us marry. My society, my a**e.

That's not because of something intrinsic to autism, but because of the way your society responds to us, because most humans are so narrow minded they won't accept difference to the point where they want a cure for things that aren't diseases.

Unless you live in a cave on a desert island, it is your society. You live in it, you take part in it. You also share it with billions of other people. That society's treatment of you will not change that. Pretending otherwise will not change that.

I get the slight impression you think I'm "neurotypical". Saying I'm not probably puts me in your "self-hating autistic" category. Is there even room in your understanding for someone who is autistic, doesn't hate themselves and isn't bothered by the idea of the cure? Are you so full of anger and so sure that you have all the answers that you can't consider other possibilities?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 5:34 pm

AJisHere wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Niall wrote:
2) Under such circumstances it would not be my decision. It would effectively be forced upon me, and upon many others.

The world then loses more diversity, and all because most neurotypicals want a monoculture.

How would it be forced on you? are you talking about the workplace? can't you stand up for yourself to retain your true identity?

There is an abundance of wild speculation and fearmongering, here. That's all we can call it when people are crying about how the sky would fall without providing one iota of evidence for their claims.

Then there's the rather disheartening belief that "I couldn't do anything". As if there is some absolute king of the universe whose edicts cannot be challenged. Not like anyone here lives in a democratic society that obeys the rule of law, right? (sarcasm!)

And you have the same zero evidence that people who would refuse a cure would face little or no repercussions. That is speculation also. My speculation that there would be reprecussions is based life experience, history. Adding to what was said I would expect insurance rates to triple for those that refuse the cure if insurence is made available at all. In a post cure world people can and probably will self advocate. But if I am right the chances of undoing the damages would be much much less in a post cure world. First and foremost in that situation a political and social decision would have been made that Autism is a bad disease that is now curable. It is much harder to revert a decision that has been made, then preventing it from happening in the first place. The gays when they started from scratch did have some wealth and positions of power in the mass entertainment world. If there are economic and God help us legal penalties for refusing the cure we will be further marginalized economically and there will be considerably less of us.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 12:02 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
And you have the same zero evidence that people who would refuse a cure would face little or no repercussions. That is speculation also. My speculation that there would be reprecussions is based life experience, history. Adding to what was said I would expect insurance rates to triple for those that refuse the cure if insurence is made available at all. In a post cure world people can and probably will self advocate. But if I am right the chances of undoing the damages would be much much less in a post cure world. First and foremost in that situation a political and social decision would have been made that Autism is a bad disease that is now curable. It is much harder to revert a decision that has been made, then preventing it from happening in the first place. The gays when they started from scratch did have some wealth and positions of power in the mass entertainment world. If there are economic and God help us legal penalties for refusing the cure we will be further marginalized economically and there will be considerably less of us.

If you look carefully at my posts, I never made the claim there would not be repercussions. It's entirely possible and I'll freely admit that.

What irks me is people treating it like a foregone conclusion and telling me how scared I should be of the idea without any evidence. Or there's an abundance of "if", "if", and more "if" without offering any reason why the "ifs" are likely.

It's like the Book of Revelations in here.

There's also this sort of feel of helplessness to it. As though if this happens, all is lost. Well if that's how someone feels, I'd ask that person to consider working towards an environment in which a cure would be genuinely voluntary rather than simply crying "NO!". That would be the actual best case scenario.