Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lilyz
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2015, 11:07 am

I wish there were more aspies in TV, movies, books, video games, etc. I want to see a character I can relate with.

But I don't just want to see savants, scientists, geniuses... ...And I don't want to see complete victims either.

I want to see an autistic character who has strengths and weaknesses, one who has things he or she great at, and things he/she is not so great at. He/she has struggles, but makes it through.

Most of all, I want to see a autistic character who is relatable.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 3:42 pm

I completly agree.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2015, 2:06 am

Lilyz wrote:
I wish there were more aspies in TV, movies, books, video games, etc. I want to see a character I can relate with.

But I don't just want to see savants, scientists, geniuses... ...And I don't want to see complete victims either.

I want to see an autistic character who has strengths and weaknesses, one who has things he or she great at, and things he/she is not so great at. He/she has struggles, but makes it through.

Great idea, Lily!

Far too many people have misguided or wrong perceptions in regards to Autism. Far too many people underestimate us or try to put is in a box with a label.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:43 pm

Me, too. I get tired of the stereotypes.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 8:19 pm

Yes, I'm getting a little tired of it too.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm

Lilyz wrote:

I wish, but we have quite a way until that can happen.

So far TV has shaped and polished typical stereotypes about people. Obviously there are no "real" people on TV. At least not as something you describe as relatable. Even gays have their obvious exaggerated appeal, think of it as a way to make sure the viewers aren't missing the point.

AppleChips
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Nov 2015, 5:22 am

I agree. Most TV show it as over the top.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 5:48 pm

I want that too. How is society supposed to understand us if they aren't educated, and what better way to educate people than creating a popular character on the spectrum.

PwoperNereguar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2016, 9:42 am

Watch Community. It has what you want. Also, Mary and Max. But Abed in Community is a perfect representation of me with his Aspergers. People told Dan Harmon, the creator of the show, that Abed seems to have Aspergers. All of the characters are based on himself in one way or another, so he decided to look into it. He discovered that he has Aspergers and he is most like Abed, and it really shows. While he's played for comedy affect (it is a sitcom) and breaks the fourth wall, he is an excellent, three dimensional character and is a common favourite among fans. My favourite representation of Aspergers.

Last edited by PwoperNereguar on 13 Jan 2016, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

I would like to see more Aspies in the media, yes, but I know that most TV writers/directors wouldn't do the research and would just depict us stereotypically. Or they would simply cover Autism in broad strokes and gloss over the more subtle aspects of being an Aspie.

PwoperNereguar

13 Jan 2016, 9:57 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
I would like to see more Aspies in the media, yes, but I know that most TV writers/directors wouldn't do the research and would just depict us stereotypically. Or they would simply cover Autism in broad strokes and gloss over the more subtle aspects of being an Aspie.

Read my last post. And it has been done right a few times. Sometimes they're savants, but theyre great representations. I find myself to be a lot like L from Death Note and Abed from Community, but definitely the latter.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 6:11 pm

well Alex was the consaltent for the lead actress on the Bridge... and while that is great an all...
i think it's time we moved on to... hiring an actual person on the spectrum to play a person on the spectrum..
then they could input how they would react to the scene...because it would practically be real life to us, right?

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm

PwoperNereguar wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

Read my last post. And it has been done right a few times. Sometimes they're savants, but theyre great representations. I find myself to be a lot like L from Death Note and Abed from Community, but definitely the latter.

Sorry, I have never seen community, so I was unaware of its more positive representation of Aspies. :(

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 12:32 pm

I'd rather have autism and Aspergers understood entirely before more stereotypical autistic type characters are put into media, forever warping the public's understanding and perception on the matter.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

Feyokien wrote:
I'd rather have autism and Aspergers understood entirely before more stereotypical autistic type characters are put into media, forever warping the public's understanding and perception on the matter.

This is what I was getting at. :) If the public doesn't see anything but the stereotypical Aspie, then it will be even harder to dislodge that image from the public mind.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 4:47 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
well Alex was the consaltent for the lead actress on the Bridge... and while that is great an all...
i think it's time we moved on to... hiring an actual person on the spectrum to play a person on the spectrum..
then they could input how they would react to the scene...because it would practically be real life to us, right?

Alex was listed in the credits for "Autism in Love"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman