Should the US become Spanish-English-speaking?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should the US become Spanish-English-speaking, like how Canada is French-English-speaking?
Yes 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
No 84%  84%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 19

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 1:35 am

I'm impartial on the issue; I posted this because I was interested in other people's opinion on this matter.

(Why do I have the feeling this thread is going to be derailed into a discussion about illegal immigration?)

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2015, 2:02 am

I think the Canadians have their bilangualism written into their constitution. I remember reading in Year 12 Legal Studies that Canadians have the right to get their documents in French or English. So if you'd America to be bilingual like Canada, you'd need a referendum or something, and given how many states there are in America I it would be frustratingly difficult.

The obvious benefit of America going bilingual is that it'd make trade with South America easier, but given the US's considerable economic might I think that such an advantage would be marginal. Teaching American children two languages could make the nation smarter - at least, I always got the impression that bilingual people are smarter than I am. This could have an international flow-on affect, given that American culture is pop culture, (particularly in Australia). It would also make life easy for Mexican immigrants, so I can't object to that.

But you could end up with Spanish and English communities becoming estranged from each other. I've got a vague impression that the Anglophone Canadians and the Quebecois don't always get along.

I don't really care if America goes bilingual or not, although it's a surprisingly fun thought experiment. Just as long as they're not killing innocent people, they can do whatever.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Nov 2015, 2:18 am

No and English should be the official language, period. Canada's lingering Quebec separatist problem shouldn't be replicated, a nation has to have one language or else it will be inevitably doomed to division. Immigrants should be expected to join our culture, the melting pot is something that fundamentally defines this country in my opinion and we don't need anymore hyphenated Americans who separate themselves into their own little ethnic ghettos. I am not against the teaching of languages, I think our schools could probably do a lot better job of that because we all took Spanish or French or whatever in high school and most of us can only say a few words.

The majority of the states have laws declaring English as the official language btw and the vast vast majority of Americans support it nationwide.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 3:07 am

i personally don't see a problem with the status quo.

LonelyJar wrote:
(Why do I have the feeling this thread is going to be derailed into a discussion about illegal immigration?)

because people who speak spanish, mentioned in the OP, as a native, second or only language in the US, also mentioned in the OP are for the most part...immigrants or descended from immigrants. some of whom are here illegally.

(it seems it already has)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 3:09 am

We already were.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 3:25 am

No and in fact, I am also against bilingual education. I am from Puerto Rico, came to the US mainland the first time in 3rd grade. While the teachers and staff in bilingual education were great, I am glad that my parents pulled me out after 6 months. Bilingual education actually held me back from learning the language quicker. My best friend spoke only English and thus I was lucky that I was able to learn the language much quicker than my sister whose best friend spoke both Spanish and English, but they mostly spoke in Spanish.

I don't live in the mainland and I can tell you that most Latin American countries have no problem making only Spanish their official language, therefore, I don't understand the issue with the US being an only English country. I think that one of the most important things that help people adjust to a new country is learning to communicate in the local language, when that doesn't happen, the people become marginalized and slow their own progress.

I have no problem with people speaking other languages, in fact, I spoke mostly Spanish outside of my job with family and friends, listened to music from back home, etc. but that is a different issue.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 3:40 am

It's the same planet. Please speak any language you actually want to. The rest of us will catch up sooner or later.

:roll: States and "the majority of Americans" really should know their right to speak. Or I suppose all freedom of speech covers now is election billboards and national TV smear ads. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a more pressing matter of human rights than getting a free 9mm pistol with every checking account we open.

Last edited by cberg on 26 Nov 2015, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 3:43 am

cberg wrote:
We already were.

You took the words right outta my mouth. I have Spanish patients that come in and can only speak Spanish. We have to accommodate them. I feel outta place because quite a few nurses know Spanish. I can pick up several words, but I really do need to learn the language just to cover myself so there's no misunderstandings.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 3:47 am

puedo enseñarte

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 4:00 am

te enseño?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Nov 2015, 4:36 am

cberg wrote:
It's the same planet. Please speak any language you actually want to. The rest of us will catch up sooner or later.

:roll: States and "the majority of Americans" really should know their right to speak. Or I suppose all freedom of speech covers now is election billboards and national TV smear ads. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a more pressing matter of human rights than getting a free 9mm pistol with every checking account we open.

You can speak any language you want, it doesn't have to be accommodated. If you live in America you should be able to speak and understand English, I don't see why that is controversial to anyone besides those that actually do want to divide and conquer. Integration is impossible without a shared language, if integration is not the goal then it is an invasion. Unless you want to be an American, do not move to this country. We don't owe you a better economic life, you are a guest who hopes we let stay so perhaps some good faith is in order? Reconquista is something that has been openly talked about for a long time now and it doesn't matter how realistic or serious that idea is since it exists in the public consciousness. With that line of thinking why wouldn't Americans want to deport illegal immigrants? The melting pot is the only way, if you're leaving your home country then it wasn't that great anyways.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:28 pm

I know a good amount of others who cannot speak French. I can read it, but I cannot speak it. It's helpful to learn the second language though, I won't deny. If I lived in the States I would do the same for Spanish, learn just enough in case someone else does not speak English.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 1:05 pm

Jacoby wrote:
No and English should be the official language, period. ...
Restricting the spoken or written word to one language for the general population is a clear violation of the "Free Speech" article to the Bill of Rights.

However, making English the official primary language of government is legal, as long as the governments provide translations.

At a recent community meeting, a couple of brown-shirted loudmouths tried to force a vote to restrict outdoor advertising to English-only billboards and store signs. They were shouted down by the rest of us, each in our own native language. Then the moderator told them that if they wanted such a change, they needed to address the City Council, instead. They threw a few feeble insults, and then left.

There has been no such motion put before the City Council since then. I guess a few dozen people standing up for their right to free speech and press intimidated those brownshirts and sent them back to whatever rocks they lived under.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 2:25 pm

Canada has it's own unique situation (much as Louisiana's "constitution" is based on the Napoleonic code because it was a French colony). Still, as a rule, a nation needs a common language to have national unity. Letting people speak their native language after immigrating to the USA is counter-productive. Either learn enough English to function in society or go back home. Assimilation is expected in most every other nation accepting immigrants, and learning the dominant language of your new home country is part of the assimilation process.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 4:36 pm

Generally speaking, assimilation usually begins in the second generation. By the third, English is spoken almost exclusively. By the fourth, assimilation is complete, and the first generation has passed on.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:34 pm

No, and there should be no official language in the USA (there currently isn't). There is nothing about the USA that favors the English language (apart from tradition).