Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 5:34 am

Dead.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 7:40 am

Meistersinger wrote:
You don't like it? More's the pity on you. You'd be a good candidate for Pascal's wager.

Pascal's wager is the dumbest thing ever. Get off on emotional blackmail?

What happens when Meistersinger meets his maker and Krishna says, sorry you have been a bad Hindu you have not been following me at all, you will be sent to Naraka.

Pascal was mostly a fraud, he he famous for something the Indians invented centuries before.

He one of the most overrated philosophers and mathematicians.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

Fake.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

A murderous misogynistic homophobic sociopath.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 1:22 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
You don't like it? More's the pity on you. You'd be a good candidate for Pascal's wager.

Pascal's wager is the dumbest thing ever. Get off on emotional blackmail?

What happens when Meistersinger meets his maker and Krishna says, sorry you have been a bad Hindu you have not been following me at all, you will be sent to Naraka.

Pascal was mostly a fraud, he he famous for something the Indians invented centuries before.

He one of the most overrated philosophers and mathematicians.

I once had a statistics instructor who argued that Pascal's wager is fundamentally irrefutable because lack of a belief in God in presence of a potential existence of one, is an unnecessary folly that one can easily reverse and has no external ramifications if belief is professed.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 2:08 am

The only One who can save us.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2016, 8:52 am

C2V wrote:
The knee jerk I struggle to get my head around (hell if there weren't body metaphors crossing confusingly all over that) is that god is not necessarily religion. Wiser people than me have been trying to get this thorough to me as this subject has been everywhere recently. Religion and god could very plausibly be completely disconnected.
It's also entirely plausible that god, if one exists, has never been described or known by any religion in all of human history, and may never be known, nor described.
If you disbelieve the representation of god as described in any one religion, then that is in effect all you are disagreeing with - their theory. In the original post the author seems to be describing god as he is described in Christian and Islamic religions - a loving, intelligent, just, perfect external entity. Nowhere is it guaranteed that god, if one exists, represents nor comprehends these qualities at all.
The more I get into the issue, the more I favour the abstract of what a god may be, rather than believing any religious descriptions. And trying to stop interpreting any talk of "god" through a religiously-influenced bias.

This actually gets kind of close to something I've been wondering about recently. I've noted that NT's tend to be something of authority junkies - they view the world in terms of social pecking order. To them, having someone "in charge" is a foregone conclusion, something that has to be that way, as opposed to a curious artificiality brought on by their manner of thinking. In many religions, particularly western ones, God is described as some kind of ruler... I have to wonder if, assuming there is an entity one might describe as God, he would be anything like this description, or if the whole ruling over everything notion is purely the invention of an NT-dominated society.

Curiously enough, Buddhism seems to subvert this completely.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 10:23 am

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 10:51 am

Deltaville wrote:
Although as a counterpoint, the cause of the universes's formation cannot easily be construed without a supernatural intervention. The formation of mass in our universe cannot be ascribed to any physical properties or phenomenon, because the second law of thermodynamics is clear: mass (energy) cannot exceed the input energy that is added into it. Who added that initial energy? Obviously these fundamental scientific laws were breached.

The supernatural is not the default position when you don't know something. The universe is almost perfectly balanced between energy and gravitational potential energy, meaning that it took no net energy input for the Big Bang to occur. Which is exactly what we would expect to observe if the universe came from nothing.

0=1+(-1)

or

0=1,000,000+(-1,000,000)

etc.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 10:53 am

Deltaville wrote:
I have an honors degree in physics so I do believe I can speak with some authority on this subject.

An argument from authority will get you nowhere.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 10:53 am

nurseangela wrote:
The only One who can save us.

From himself?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

mookestink wrote:
Let's say I use Anselm's definition: God is a being greater than any which can be imagined. That is quite clearly Being itself.

OK, God is defined as being a great being. So what? How do you know this? You are still left with a lack of evidence.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:00 am

Deltaville wrote:
I once had a statistics instructor who argued that Pascal's wager is fundamentally irrefutable because lack of a belief in God in presence of a potential existence of one, is an unnecessary folly that one can easily reverse and has no external ramifications if belief is professed.

No external ramifications? How do you know you are believing the correct version of God? What if there are more than one? And belief itself does have ramifications, potentially life-threatening ones. Plenty of people forgo medical treatment due to faith, or kill in the name of faith.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:12 am

AspE wrote:
Deltaville wrote:

No external ramifications? How do you know you are believing the correct version of God? What if there are more than one? And belief itself does have ramifications, potentially life-threatening ones. Plenty of people forgo medical treatment due to faith, or kill in the name of faith.

You do realize that quoting someone or something does not imply endorsement of the said position.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:14 am

AspE wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
I have an honors degree in physics so I do believe I can speak with some authority on this subject.

An argument from authority will get you nowhere.

It enables me to make more informed opinions on the subject matter and augment them with evidence of whatever knowledge I gained.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

Deltaville wrote:
...It enables me to make more informed opinions on the subject matter and augment them with evidence of whatever knowledge I gained.

So you say.