Need to choose a career I can be obsessed with

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Briareos
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

I may or may not be able to offer you some advice, because honestly I am in the same situation as you; trying to decide what I want to do as a career.

I will say that the suggestions others have listed aren't bad, maybe investigate them a bit further and see if it's work you can get stoked about.

What exactly are you going to college for at the moment, and why'd you stop?

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 8:50 pm

Briareos wrote:
I may or may not be able to offer you some advice, because honestly I am in the same situation as you; trying to decide what I want to do as a career.

I will say that the suggestions others have listed aren't bad, maybe investigate them a bit further and see if it's work you can get stoked about.

What exactly are you going to college for at the moment, and why'd you stop?

One of those really vague A.A.s you start with. I started out in English, until I realized it didn't lead to anything I wanted to do. Then I shifted focus to Political Science, because I'm passionate about political issues; kind of the same problem, it seemed to lead to "ivory tower" places that wouldn't let me get my hands dirty. I was looking into Communications when I stopped with the hope of a more activism-focused career path in the future, but it was very hard to determine where that could take me.

I got frustrated with the sense I was just going in circles and couldn't really bring myself to care about anything academic without a clear goal in mind and an idea of how to achieve it. So I stopped.

MissKnapsak
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2016, 4:44 pm

Having a job that's okay but enabled you to pursue your passions evenings/weekends is an option too.

I like my job but am not obsessed with it -- and it allows me to do fun stuff (travel, photography, read) in my off hours.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

MissKnapsak wrote:
Having a job that's okay but enabled you to pursue your passions evenings/weekends is an option too.

I like my job but am not obsessed with it -- and it allows me to do fun stuff (travel, photography, read) in my off hours.

Maybe. I don't think I have the sort of passions that could be pursued in an evening or a weekend; mine are the sort that are pursued in years and decades. It's been a source of tremendous pain for me because I haven't had the ability to pursue them.