Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:32 pm

I noticed that lifelong I've had some issues with eating:

1.) I remain a very picky eater. There are some things I will not eat, that I cannot stand. I hate lasagna, mayonnaise, mussels, and various other things. There are some things that when I try eating them, I will slow down and the experience will become quite subpar. Some other things, like the lasagna, mayonnaise, and the mussels, if I try eating them, I will start feeling like I am about to throw up; as I struggle to swallow the food, the gag or retching, or whatever you call it, becomes very strong and it begins to make noise. I am very afraid of such situations, because they might result in embarrassment. It results in me looking unreasonably picky and childish. I try to suppress the gagging or retching, but to no avail. Because of this, I tend to avoid social eating, where I don't know what food will be served.

2.) I always finish what I'm eating before moving on to the next food. I didn't know this was unusual, but I've always been this way.

3.) As a kid, I hated it when 2 different pieces of food touched, but as an adult I am glad to say I don't have this problem nearly as much.

4.) If I particularly like the taste and texture of a food, I will tend to overindulge in it, getting more and more. I want to keep experiencing that taste and texture, so I keep eating more and more of that food.

What about everyone else?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:52 pm

Reading this article, I seem to use the gag reflex in a way that most people don't:

Quote:
A gag is a reflex which protect food from going into the respiratory system from the digestive system. The gag protects the food from going into lungs (aspiration) instead of the stomach (nutrition). One could say that the gag is a defense system of out body.

Children on the Autism Spectrum have found a different way to use the gag reflex as a defense mechanism. The goal of the child with ASD due to Sensory Processing Disorder is to protect their body from a particular sense, and gagging is used to do this with the child with ASD who has “Picky Eating Disorder” (something I defined in a previous post).

http://talentsofautism.com/?p=2140

So apparently the gag is supposed to stop food going down the wrong tube, but some autistic people will use it to prevent a certain type of food from going down at all, including me. I know I've had this issue with the gag reflex from a very young age, and I never outgrew it.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:17 pm

Can't say I haven't experienced a slight gagging reflex from eating mayo.
If I were to eat much of it I'd probably throw up.

Also applies to other foods, but I don't really pay attention to it because it's good food and as long as I don't throw up it "has to be eaten".
Actually just today I ate something... I think its called avocado. That wasn't too pleasant.

/e: Just because I don't pay too much attention to it doesn't mean I won't refuse to eat certain foods sometimes. Like mortadella that "tastes" off.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:27 pm

You mean...that's not how the gag reflex usually works? Well that's news to me. I do remember doing that a lot when I was younger, but I don't really do it now. Huh.

Yes to all four things. There are so many things I can't eat because of the odor they give off. It makes me unhappy becuase I'm afraid I'll never be able to eat a diverse amount of healthy foods, even though I really want to.

I also finish one food, then go to the next. More specifically, I start with my least favorite food in the meal and work my way up to the favorite.

I also hated when food touched, but that's gone away for the most part.

I only recently learned overeating was an autistic trait. In high school, on the rare days they served Bosco sticks, I would get about five bags of them (ten sticks), and everyone else wondered how I did that; most others only bought one or two bags. I never knew if it was because they were full or if they just knew when to stop eating.

Kajin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2016, 10:15 pm

I'm very sensitive to the texture of my food. I once puked trying to eat a blackberry cobbler a classmate of mine made based on the texture alone. It was delicious cobbler, but the texture was something I couldn't handle, unfortunately.