For those that listen to the same thing over and over,...

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:10 pm

What do you listen to?

As for me:

I seemed to first get into the Mickey Mouse short "The Little Whirlwind." Specifically, I got into the scene when the big mama tornado was chasing Mickey all around. This was at age 5. I remember that I liked the music a lot and would repeat it over and over. This contributed to a fascination with tornadoes. I also really liked The Wizard of Oz scene when the tornado came, and would watch it over and over.

As time went on, I really liked the music from video games and from some movies (especially Disney movies). I got into music of video games like Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and the other Square RPGs. This was during elementary school. I would make heavy use of the rewind button on the VCR (to the point where others were warning me I could mess up the video tape) and take advantage of the fact that most video game music looped on its own.

As I got older and into computers and got introduced to Star Wars, I began to seek out more immediate forms of stimulation. For example, when it came to listening to a specific piece of video game music, you would often need to be at the particular part of the game where that music appeared, so I started getting MIDIs of the video game music. I at first disliked them, because they didn't sound exactly like the original pieces, but as time went on I came to like the particularities of those MIDIs as well. But I found something even better: Impulse Tracker. I used this a lot in high school and early adulthood. The songs were much more accurate and would loop properly. I then got into things like an SPC player (for SNES game music) and a plug-in for Winamp that would play Playstation music. Here, the BGM sounded exactly like it did in the video games and it was easy to set up for infinite looping. Nowadays, I generally use the "Extended" versions of songs that you can find on YouTube.

About Star Wars, I found I really liked the music, especially the Imperial March. I later got into some anime, though that was pretty restricted. I specifically liked Inuyasha, Ranma, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Haruhi Suzumiya, in terms of interests that lasted. There were lots of scenes that I liked to play over and over again. When I got serious about learning Japanese, I would do this with the Japanese language versions of the anime shows. I would do the same thing with the movies that I liked, getting the Japanese versions.

I really liked the drama Umechan-sensei and there were scenes I would repeat over and over again. Unfortunately, I no longer have any recordings from this show.

Nowadays, there are various scenes I will play over and over again, like in Haruhi Suzumiya. The scenes generally have very high levels of auditory stimulation, with good music and clear tension.

wronngbong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2016, 6:30 pm

htt

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:30 pm

The first song I remember is "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
I was around 3 years old I guess given by the place where I remember living when hearing it for the first time.
It still repeats in my head in the phonical way I perceived it except for the first strophe I have managed to transfer it to the real words.
Doctor wants to give me medication, Abilify, because of permanent repetitive music in my head.
Not only that title but many more, my head plays whole classical compositions to every note and everything plays in my head.
That makes it hard to think in language and use language.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 11:39 pm

Eloa wrote:
Not only that title but many more, my head plays whole classical compositions to every note and everything plays in my head.
That makes it hard to think in language and use language.

Me too.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 5:34 am

The target changes often, but the behaviour doesn't. I get stuck on a song, and listen to it repetitively for however long it takes until I have got whatever I was getting from it. Same goes with watching the same scene in movies repetitively. Plus group chanting is something I listen to repetitively.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

Currently it is the song cheerleader. I'll listen to it until I get bored of it and then move onto something else.

Usually they are chart songs but often it's any song that I've heard on tv and I get attached to it. It's been Taylor Swift, McBusted, Green Day, Disney Songs, Christmas Songs.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2016, 1:15 pm

Up until my mid teens I was into big band music, specifically Glenn Miller and I would listen to 'In the mood,' incessantly. I progressed to music from the 50's in my teens, and listened to Buddy Holly's song 'Everyday,' over and over and over, it use to drive my parents crazy. I never grew up in either of these era's, but somehow got obsessed with their music. I still do it, recently I was listening to a piece called 'Ghost Train Triptych,' repeatedly, I still do, but have moved on. I do the same with movies also, and will watch one over and over, I'm into 'The Big Year,' right now. However now that I am older I don't monopolize the TV, and I try to give others a chance in the house to chose something.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:21 pm

The computer's song in this:

Minus the part where he flips the heck out.

Blasted song stays with me to no end. I keep coming back to the video. Well, that's not the only reason to come back to it, I also just really like this series alot, but still, that song...

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 6:42 pm

I wonder if anyone also gets what I guess could be tics, where you have an urge to say something you've heard while repeating it over and over again, like maybe a phrase someone says. I do this a lot, though I can usually just do it under my breath. The phrase comes into my mind like an itch, and I will often want to say it, which is akin to scratching that itch.

It's like I get tics that have me engage in echolalia.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 8:38 pm

Quote:
I wonder if anyone also gets what I guess could be tics, where you have an urge to say something you've heard while repeating it over and over again, like maybe a phrase someone says. I do this a lot, though I can usually just do it under my breath. The phrase comes into my mind like an itch, and I will often want to say it, which is akin to scratching that itch.

Eh, I get this too, with repeating the same phrase over and over. Usually just to myself so no one thinks I'm a crazy person, or just in my head, but I'll repeat it over and over. Weird.
Echolalia for me is more involuntary, when I know a response is needed quickly and I haven't had time to think properly, so I end up just repeating the person. It's embarrassing. I also tend to pick up others' speech habits if they have an unusual use of a word or similar.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 9:02 pm

C2V wrote:
Quote:

Eh, I get this too, with repeating the same phrase over and over. Usually just to myself so no one thinks I'm a crazy person, or just in my head, but I'll repeat it over and over. Weird.
Echolalia for me is more involuntary, when I know a response is needed quickly and I haven't had time to think properly, so I end up just repeating the person. It's embarrassing. I also tend to pick up others' speech habits if they have an unusual use of a word or similar.

I do that, too, if I don't understand what somebody says. Repeating it to myself usually makes me understand it. Nevertheless, it's not something that I intentionally do: I just simply repeat what they've said without thinking.

I know I pick up speech habits from others. Frequently, whenever I say something I have in mind a specific person I'm imitating. Nevertheless, this isn't intentional either. It just sorta happens.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 5:56 am

As I've said a million times before, I'm still listening to Stars Of The Lid's Artificial Pine Arch Song.

I've been listening to it for YearS - several times a day - for YEARS!

THAT'S WEIRD!!

It's the harmonics.

When I was a kid, we got a CasioTone keyboard for Christmas. No-one ever played it but one day, I discovered that if you press a certain combination of keys, you got a brilliant sine wave harmonic.

It was a stim and I sat there for ages just listening to it. I knew it was weird, even back then and I tried to hide it from my family but eventually, it became almost impossible to hide (and those were the days before headphones were available) so I gave up trying to hide that particular stim. My family already suspected I was an alien!

I'd sit there listening to it for ages, just holding my fingers down on the keys.

HARMONICS - That's why I've listened to SOTL stuff for so many years. The same song.

Harmonics are apparently very much of a common thing/liking of Autistic people.

I didn't know that back then I know it now. Do the research!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 6:22 am

I currently listen to all 3 albums from The Mayan Factor most mornings...

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 6:30 am

ImAnAspie wrote:

Oh, and did I forget to mention, so is repartition!

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 6:31 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

Oh, and did I forget to mention, so is repartition!

But isn't that what this thread is all about!

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 8:22 am

When I was little I had some cassette tapes that I listened to over and over and over again. Mom wouldn't buy new ones too often, but I still had a small collection.
I needed to listen to my cassette tapes every night to fall asleep. True story.
THAT's what got me started and "messed me up". :mrgreen:
... I can relate to many people in this thread. :mrgreen:

beneficii, what about this? :D :