Page 5 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 10:25 am

Hopper wrote:
It's why men think being a stay-at-home dad is so awful.

Pardon?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

A woman could be given a choice

1 traditionally male role

The right to work
Eligible for military draft
No affirmative action policies
Or
Housewife
Not eligible for military draft

Instead of forcing all women into a role which may or may not suit them.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 10:43 am

slenkar wrote:
A woman could be given a choice

1.the right to work
Eligible for military draft
No affirmative action policies
Or
Housewife
Not eligible for military draft

Instead of forcing all women into a role which may or may not suit them

Oh, ffs. Why? And would you offer the same thing to men?

Why not scrap the draft? I'm surprised you still have it.

adifferentname wrote:
Hopper wrote:
It's why men think being a stay-at-home dad is so awful.

Pardon?

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek response to JohnPowell's banalities. But also kind of true, at a 'social given' level.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 1:12 pm

Claradoon wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
<snip> It's complicated. In the UK, they changed the fireman tests to make them easier, so women could pass. That isn't feminism, that's insanity. They want both sexes at work for more taxes, it has nothing to do with "equality". In that instance, or in the army, there's no way that women should be on the same money as men. Also, if a boss takes the risk of employing a woman who will most likely be going off on paid leave for up to a year, why should the woman be paid the same? Who said you have to be housewives? And don't fall for the conditioning that has made being a mum sound so awful and degrading. We are heading right for the "Brave New World" here.

Firefighter, right?

What exactly did they make easier in the tests so women could pass? Often, height is changed in physical jobs. Equipment compensates for out-dated rules. Are you sure it's easier?

I live in Quebec, Canada, where "parental leave" is the law. The family can choose which parent will take leave. This nullifies the question of paying women less because they take a year off. Although I should point out who is doing the paying - it is *not* the company that pays legislated leave. It's the same governmental agency that pays Unemployment.

Altering training requirements for women is silly. Real life situations can't be altered, that's why they trained for real life situations. There won't be a stool to help get over the wall in Iraq for example with the us army. Instead of lowering standards they should enhance their training style. The us arm pay did expire ends and found women could do most the same stuff as men they just had to do it differently. Different doesn't mean lower. Now I could be wrong but I think one example was loading shells into artility and they used more lower body strength instead of traditional upper body strength. They did find women had to spend more tim working out to build muscle to for example pull a wounded soldier, which I think is good. Women wanting such jobs should work to get In shape before trying for it. Year it'll be harder for them and take longer, but that's the reality if they want to compete with men who naturally are stronger. Plenty women do this already, lower standards isn an upfront to them. Hopefully the military realizes this and also allows women into combat roles finally.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2016, 1:55 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I think feminism has gone from pro-female to anti-male. I don't agree with it.

I want equal rights for everyone. Obviously there are still many places where women do not have equal rights, or even in the US, women are often not respected, get paid less than men, and are still viewed by many as inferior to men.

But the radical feminists are just going too far, and have been for years.

More like decades. One of the side effects being the creation of so called "men's rights activists" which can tend to mirror radical feminists.

Quote:
I don't want to be associated with feminism. If there is a group committed towards equal rights for everyone (not focused on any one group) that's who I would identify with.

There are old school "equality feminists", but they are not that common and certainly nowhere near mainstream.

Quote:
It's the same with many animal-rights activists, and some atheists. They go too far, and focus on hostility rather than progress, cooperation, and understanding.

It's not uncommon for political groups to become to become radicalised. Often with moderate founders finding themselves expelled.
With the attendant issue that whilst the moderates tend want some kind of workable solution radicals may not. Indeed some of them end up looking more "part of the problem"...
Hence see hostility, blame and confrontation rather than negotiation and cooperation.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Dox47 the word "sexist" has been replaced by Patriarchy™. Now come get your electro-shock therapy. :twisted:

You will learn, any discrimination against man, woman or child is the Patriarchy™. ZAP!

Who owns the trade mark to Patriarchy?

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

Hopper wrote:
Personally, my biases from your perspective would have the 'treating women as people' lot as the feminists, and those inclined to starting fights in empty rooms as the WRAs.

Well if might be amusing to put the MRAs together with the WRAs in a "Thunderdome" type arena :)

Quite often I've witnessed cognitive dissonance when it comes to "treating women as people" includes accepting that women can represent the worst of humanity just as easily as the best of humanity. e.g. All sorts of excuses being used to excuse the behaviour of women criminals which wouldn't even be considered with men criminals.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2016, 2:11 pm

pineapplehead wrote:
LKL wrote:
@ Exodus: please see the data above. You can go to the same website and put in other job types as well as the ones I picked off the top of my head: jobs that are traditionally taken by women pay less than jobs that are traditionally taken by men, for the same amount of training and the same amount of hours per week. I can document the hell out of this, though, so by all means let me know if the raw data isn't enough for you.

Jobs traditionally taken by men tend to make more, because either a) they're dangerous, or b) they require high math/technical skills that are harder to train. If you really think a secretary sitting in a comfortable office deserves to make as much as an underwater welder, that's just laughable.

The phrase is "equal pay for equal work."

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
One parent should stay at home, and women are generally better at looking after the children. If I was a boss of a big company where a woman could take a years maternity leave, i'd rather employ a man.

On the other hand if you could pay women less, for the same work, why would you employ men?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

Re YouTube Feminism Crash

This will go on forever. But feel the gratitude for living in a country where it's legal.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

Claradoon wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Dox47 the word "sexist" has been replaced by Patriarchy™. Now come get your electro-shock therapy. :twisted:

You will learn, any discrimination against man, woman or child is the Patriarchy™. ZAP!

Who owns the trade mark to Patriarchy?

I'm serious - please tell me - who owns the trade mark on Patriarchy tm ? I've been searching. I find it in conversational material. I do not find anything in dictionaries or Wikipedia. If I look for, say, Colgate, the first thing Wikipedia gives is history of ownership and image of logo. Patriarch tm is invisible except for chats. Does it really exist? I'm not being contrary - I want to find out what it has to tell me.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 6:30 pm

Often political words acquire additional definitions which are the opposite of the original meaning, such as in the cases of liberalism, conservatism and libertarianism. Sometimes, this may happen in order to appropriate the positive feelings associated with a word. Or, to foster confusion.

Dropping the label entirely in response to other peoples misuse of the label, might confuse things further. It could make things clearer just to add modifiers.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 07 Feb 2016, 7:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 6:46 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I'm serious - please tell me - who owns the trade mark on Patriarchy tm ? I've been searching. I find it in conversational material. I do not find anything in dictionaries or Wikipedia. If I look for, say, Colgate, the first thing Wikipedia gives is history of ownership and image of logo. Patriarch tm is invisible except for chats. Does it really exist? I'm not being contrary - I want to find out what it has to tell me.

It was a satirical point about a shift away from equality feminism towards identity feminism. This is reflected in feminist literature, "chauvinism" and "sexism" were more common terms before the obsession with this term.

http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php ... patriarchy

The over use of the "Patriarchy" is similar to conspiracies like "New World Order" or any over simplistic all encompassing blanket explanation for all world's ills, rather than more nuanced and realistic theory of discrimination, which understands its dynamical and relativist nature.

Although reasonable feminists claim Patriarchy is meant to reflect just the power structures rather than all men, you don't have to search far to find it being equated to masculinity and maleness. It is a pretty obvious connection, and widely represented if you scratch beneath the surface.

These are not "radicals" either. These are fairly mainstream discussions, especially in universities.

Another common phrases are "white male privilege". This is despite the fact this group also includes a large number of poor, uneducated largely marginalised people, who you would need to reach if you want to do anything about bigotry and discrimination.

Nora Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. fought against segregation. Yet in the University of Missouri groups influenced minority protesters to push for ideas tantamount to segregation, apparently not seeing the irony. This was based feminist ideas, or a popular school of thought at the moment.

This is mainly becuase of the broad misuse of the concepts of "safe space" and "trigger warning". These are not recommended for the treatment of PTSD long term:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... -good.html
http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavio ... arch-81946

Yet even if they were they are abusing these terms in a wider context to try and shut down discussion. This is happen within lecture room and they are trying to expand to whole campuses. There have even convinced student unions to vote for such undemocratic ideas in the UK

This is the kind of crap that has been going on for the past couple of years.

We can't pretend these type of groups don't have influence or are just fringe becuase they do have influence.

Yes some of these people are obviously radical like this person
viewtopic.php?t=305276

However the influence is broader than, that with well meaning but illiberal ideological folk.

Personally I don't really care about want is going on on Tumblr. I care about education policy, and the basic principle of rights being protected. The people with influence.

This whole debarckle has badly damaged the feminist moment in my eyes and a lot people. it has also alienated many women too.

Does that answer your question?

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2016, 7:54 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
TheExodus wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
TheExodus wrote:
Feminism is very toxic right now, nobody much wants to associate with it anymore. It's why it's become a dirty word to many people. I think the biggest stab was with GamerGate, how Feminists tried to hijack it and claim it to be a "misogynist hate group", which it obviously wasn't (or isn't, if it's still functional). As has been said numerous times before; Feminists made the mistake of picking a fight with gamers and thinking that they'd win.

Whatever you feel is the largest insult regarding the third wave Feminist movement (be it Laci Green, Anita Sarkeesian, Rebecca Watson, college campuses, Canada, political correctness, etc.), it's evident why so many people have grown to hate it. Funnily enough, I had once had somebody convince me that that side of Feminism is just a vocal minority and that most Feminists do believe in equality. That being said, let's just say I've become far more jaded since then.

Fugu wrote:
slenkar wrote:
In the sixties and seventies feminist structures were created
E.g.
Women's studies departments
Ms magazine
Organizations like NOW

Subsequently feminists got everything they wanted in like 1980

But they can't admit it as hundreds of jobs are at stake
is that why women on average got paid 80% of what men did in 2010?
http://www.ilo.org/washington/areas/gender-equality-in-the-workplace/WCMS_159496/lang--en/index.htm

All that link proves is that women work less than men. If anything else was going on, we'd have heard about it by now. If there were anything else involved, it would technically be unlawful. That's all there is involved in the wage gap; technicalities.

So everything "unlawful" never happens?

Show me legal cases where businesses have been sued for paying women less than men for the same work.

First, show me -any- proof that that which is illegal, by definition does not occur.

How about no? I never claimed that illegal activity doesn't occur. Why is it you in particular who always tries to twist my words? My point is that if it were unlawful, we would have heard about it. Now show me these cases.

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2016, 7:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:
TheExodus wrote:
LKL wrote:
Yes. And people are willing to pay women less. They expect to pay women less for the same level of work.

No, they're not. Please stop propagating this lie. It's getting tiresome now. The wage gap has been debunked a million and one times, and it's gone above and beyond embarrassing that people are still using it as an argument.

Yeah......
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/10/ ... as-womens/

An article which conveniently omits the actual quality of work involved. How about this;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina ... 73804.html

The most important thing to note;

"And as economists frequently remind us, if it were really true that an employer could get away with paying Jill less than Jack for the same work, clever entrepreneurs would fire all their male employees, replace them with females, and enjoy a huge market advantage."

So why don't they?

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

TheExodus wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
TheExodus wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
TheExodus wrote:
Feminism is very toxic right now, nobody much wants to associate with it anymore. It's why it's become a dirty word to many people. I think the biggest stab was with GamerGate, how Feminists tried to hijack it and claim it to be a "misogynist hate group", which it obviously wasn't (or isn't, if it's still functional). As has been said numerous times before; Feminists made the mistake of picking a fight with gamers and thinking that they'd win.

Whatever you feel is the largest insult regarding the third wave Feminist movement (be it Laci Green, Anita Sarkeesian, Rebecca Watson, college campuses, Canada, political correctness, etc.), it's evident why so many people have grown to hate it. Funnily enough, I had once had somebody convince me that that side of Feminism is just a vocal minority and that most Feminists do believe in equality. That being said, let's just say I've become far more jaded since then.

Fugu wrote:
slenkar wrote:
In the sixties and seventies feminist structures were created
E.g.
Women's studies departments
Ms magazine
Organizations like NOW

Subsequently feminists got everything they wanted in like 1980

But they can't admit it as hundreds of jobs are at stake
is that why women on average got paid 80% of what men did in 2010?
http://www.ilo.org/washington/areas/gender-equality-in-the-workplace/WCMS_159496/lang--en/index.htm

All that link proves is that women work less than men. If anything else was going on, we'd have heard about it by now. If there were anything else involved, it would technically be unlawful. That's all there is involved in the wage gap; technicalities.

So everything "unlawful" never happens?

Show me legal cases where businesses have been sued for paying women less than men for the same work.

First, show me -any- proof that that which is illegal, by definition does not occur.

How about no? I never claimed that illegal activity doesn't occur. Why is it you in particular who always tries to twist my words? My point is that if it were unlawful, we would have heard about it. Now show me these cases.

But you made some claims about the neurobiology of anger without citing your sources. Anger is an emotion that is experience by pretty much every human being as the capacity to feel anger IS hereditary. What makes you human and not a snake are you *genes*. Humans are not all genetically identical but we do share common genes that identify us as members of a biological taxon(species).
Cause an effect, my friend! You claim that blacks are hardwired to be more violent but all you have are crime statistics and you still haven't ruled out other explanations.