Sad i don't have a sweetheart

Page 2 of 9 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 7:04 pm

Peacesells wrote:
Let me make something clear, the "be happy without finding love" is a good advice but I think it mostly works for people who have already been in relationships and who are in a pariod where they are single. For example it is a good advice for someone who has just gone through a broke-up and now feels needy.
However if we talk about a guy in his late twinties who was never able to get into anything that could resemble a relationship despite desiring it, then it is a bit different and there is something wrong with it. In that case you just can't help but feeling wrong and lonely.
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Are you sure these are your only standards?

So if an 84 year-old morbidly obese woman wanted a relationship with you and was willing to offer love, happiness and someone to talk to, you'd jump at the chance?

D**k move, bro. I think it's obvious that there are just some minimal standards. For example if a female octopus alien would come over, I doubt even the guy who'd go for the 84 obese woman would say yes.
Quote:
And please don't try to use Asperger's as an excuse not to do anything. I have Asperger's too, and I have approached random people in the past for conversation, and I'm also part of some groups, which have given me a much wider social network than I'd previously had.

You know that AS can appear in different ways, right? Maybe he has more social anxiety than you, don't make such comparisons. Still he should try, but don't you use this inquisitory tone.
Quote:
If you're not willing to actually go out and meet people, I really don't know what you expect. If you can't meet people now, what makes you think you'll be able to muster up the courage to meet a girl you've been chatting to online?

Well it is different because you know her more then. It's not like you are approaching someone you know nothing about.

I'm just trying to collect the facts so I see where he's coming from. Obviously it's granted that he's looking for a human (he's given us no reason to believe otherwise), but he gave no perimeters in terms of age and appearance. All he said was he wanted a girl to love who will love him back. That really didn't answer my question. Perhaps I should rephrase it.

OP, what are you looking for in a girl in terms of physical appearance, character traits, moral values and employment/economic status? And what can you offer a girl in terms of physical appearance, character traits, moral values and employment/economic status?

And yes, I understand AS affects people in different ways. I used to be incredibly shy too, until I adopted the belief that shyness was an excellent excuse to assign blame to exterior factors for my shortcomings, so I realised that there is risk involved with talking to people, but not talking to people is an even greater failure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the king of social interactions by any means, but I have developed strategies and thought processes to combat the anxiety I face when considering talking to people.

Perhaps my initial advice about being happy with yourself doesn't correctly capture the message I'm trying to convey. Let me try putting it this way.

Correct me if I'm wrong here OP, but I would assert that you probably feel like girls can't be interested in you for some reason or another. Now if that's how you feel now, don't you think if you felt like it was very possible that girls could be interested in you, you would not be sad, or at least not to the degree you are now?

When I say being happy with yourself, what I'm really trying to say is doing your best to get yourself to the point where you feel like a worthwhile romantic partner. Where you honestly wouldn't be able to understand why girls would choose other guys over you if things happened that way.

As for meeting people from online, granted it js a little bit easier than meeting a stranger, but the difference is marginal unless you've video or voice called them beforehand, at least in my experience.

And about my inquisitory tone... I'm really not sure what else you'd expect from someone whose username is The Grand Inquisitor.

Amarvilasx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

Happy with yourself is 100% within your control.

A sweetheart? Not so much.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 10:50 pm

Yesterday I thought I'd make some sweet heart for dinner, but hearts were too expensive, so I got some liver instead.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 1:29 am

Amarvilasx wrote:

Sort of. It doesn't mean that all depressed people are intentionally unhappy.

Snusmurikken wrote:
Thanks for the replys. I sadly don't have the courage to approach someone. I would be too scared and nervous. I have Aspergers which is to blame for that. It's just recently i started being more social. What i want in partner is love and happiness. I also want give love and happiness to someone. To be with someone. Have a friend i talk to about anything. I don't want to be alone anymore. I need some company. I don't have any friends. I haven't had a friend since about 2003.

Could you approach someone from your group? Have you tried looking for any local meetups? Aspergers or otherwise?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 8:05 am

Why does everyone vilify dating sites. I met my current girlfriend on a dating site (OKcupid).

TT v2.0
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2016, 10:25 am

sly279 wrote:
Relationships are a big chunk of most people's happiness.

This human specimen branded as sly279 is making a correct statement.

A lack of mating chances is a possible source of unhappiness for certain humans.

One source of unhappiness can make them unhappy overall.

There are other examples of source of unhappiness: Depression, poverty and sickness - but the lack of mating chances can be also one.

/End

Snusmurikken
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

Idealist wrote:
Outrider wrote:
I do personally see a difference as money being a cause of happiness, and money simply being one (of many) tools to acquire/maintain happiness.

I'm saying money is a piece of many things required for one to be happy, and is not the cause of happiness itself.

The way you say it, implies to me you believe 'You ONLY need money to be happy 8) '.

In short, I disagree, and believe money is but one piece, one part, one aspect, of happiness as a whole.

I don't believe money in itself will make one happy, or at least won't make me happy.

And about the 'going into the wild' argument and how we'd react if we were suddenly stripped of materialistic things. Well I simply think modern man wasn't raised/conditioned to survive in the wild. If we were from birth, we'd have learnt to be 'happy' even without money/a nice warm home/etc.
Twist it whichever way you like, the bottom line will always be that money buys happiness.

Though I probably shouldn't say this, I find your attempts to cloud and complicate the issue to be somewhat mildly amusing, though not nearly as amusing as your reluctance to admit outright that money pays for your happiness. :roll:
Snusmurikken wrote:
Of course i want someone more at my age.
May I ask, why?

Yes, you may ask. I'm 27 years old and I don't want to be with any women in their 40-60s. I want some one that's from 20-35s.

Snusmurikken
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

Peacesells wrote:
Let me make something clear, the "be happy without finding love" is a good advice but I think it mostly works for people who have already been in relationships and who are in a pariod where they are single. For example it is a good advice for someone who has just gone through a broke-up and now feels needy.
However if we talk about a guy in his late twinties who was never able to get into anything that could resemble a relationship despite desiring it, then it is a bit different and there is something wrong with it. In that case you just can't help but feeling wrong and lonely.

So if an 84 year-old morbidly obese woman wanted a relationship with you and was willing to offer love, happiness and someone to talk to, you'd jump at the chance?

D**k move, bro. I think it's obvious that there are just some minimal standards. For example if a female octopus alien would come over, I doubt even the guy who'd go for the 84 obese woman would say yes.
Quote:
And please don't try to use Asperger's as an excuse not to do anything. I have Asperger's too, and I have approached random people in the past for conversation, and I'm also part of some groups, which have given me a much wider social network than I'd previously had.

You know that AS can appear in different ways, right? Maybe he has more social anxiety than you, don't make such comparisons. Still he should try, but don't you use this inquisitory tone.
Quote:
If you're not willing to actually go out and meet people, I really don't know what you expect. If you can't meet people now, what makes you think you'll be able to muster up the courage to meet a girl you've been chatting to online?

Well it is different because you know her more then. It's not like you are approaching someone you know nothing about.

I'm just trying to collect the facts so I see where he's coming from. Obviously it's granted that he's looking for a human (he's given us no reason to believe otherwise), but he gave no perimeters in terms of age and appearance. All he said was he wanted a girl to love who will love him back. That really didn't answer my question. Perhaps I should rephrase it.

OP, what are you looking for in a girl in terms of physical appearance, character traits, moral values and employment/economic status? And what can you offer a girl in terms of physical appearance, character traits, moral values and employment/economic status?

And yes, I understand AS affects people in different ways. I used to be incredibly shy too, until I adopted the belief that shyness was an excellent excuse to assign blame to exterior factors for my shortcomings, so I realised that there is risk involved with talking to people, but not talking to people is an even greater failure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the king of social interactions by any means, but I have developed strategies and thought processes to combat the anxiety I face when considering talking to people.

Perhaps my initial advice about being happy with yourself doesn't correctly capture the message I'm trying to convey. Let me try putting it this way.

Correct me if I'm wrong here OP, but I would assert that you probably feel like girls can't be interested in you for some reason or another. Now if that's how you feel now, don't you think if you felt like it was very possible that girls could be interested in you, you would not be sad, or at least not to the degree you are now?

When I say being happy with yourself, what I'm really trying to say is doing your best to get yourself to the point where you feel like a worthwhile romantic partner. Where you honestly wouldn't be able to understand why girls would choose other guys over you if things happened that way.

As for meeting people from online, granted it js a little bit easier than meeting a stranger, but the difference is marginal unless you've video or voice called them beforehand, at least in my experience.

And about my inquisitory tone... I'm really not sure what else you'd expect from someone whose username is The Grand Inquisitor.

I'm not so picky about appearance. I don't actually look like a model myself. I have small eyes, I've lost a lot hair and a have big belly. I don't think myself as pretty, more the opposite. Most people probably think i look ugly and awful. If she has a bit of belly, i don't mind. I don't think skinny models want to be with a big belly boy like me. I don't expect it either.

I want a woman that is kind, loving, and thoughtful. I want one that's likes me for who i am and doesn't try to change me. If she doesn't have a job, that's ok, but most do. Now, I don't have job, but i will get one later. I know it.

Last edited by Snusmurikken on 10 Feb 2016, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snusmurikken
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 1:18 pm

Amarvilasx wrote:

I know I would be happy if I had a sweetheart. I'm not happy now that i don't have sweetheart, so if I get one i must be happy. I want a sweetheart that also can be my best friend.

Snusmurikken
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

314pe wrote:
Amarvilasx wrote:

Sort of. It doesn't mean that all depressed people are intentionally unhappy.

Snusmurikken wrote:
Thanks for the replys. I sadly don't have the courage to approach someone. I would be too scared and nervous. I have Aspergers which is to blame for that. It's just recently i started being more social. What i want in partner is love and happiness. I also want give love and happiness to someone. To be with someone. Have a friend i talk to about anything. I don't want to be alone anymore. I need some company. I don't have any friends. I haven't had a friend since about 2003.

Could you approach someone from your group? Have you tried looking for any local meetups? Aspergers or otherwise?

I think I may have a lot problems just approaching some stranger there. I don't know what to say to someone. That center actually is for people that have issues and such or just want be with someone. I've been told several people there have Aspergers. But I don't know who. You can't tell who has Aspergers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

Idealist wrote:
Outrider wrote:
Well my views are more mainstream than yours...

Outrider wrote:
If you believe money buys you happiness, then that's good for you and I hope you achieve in life so that you may earn a high amount of money.
I think you will find that the majority of happy people in this world are those who acquire money, and subsequently use it to buy things that either directly or indirectly grant them happiness.
Outrider wrote:
I only feel I need to have the money required to live and sustain a happy, healthy life. Money for me isn't a cause of happiness, but simply a tool to assist me in maintaining happiness.
You are aware that you just confessed that money buys/maintains your happiness, right?
Okay, just checking.

@ Everyone Else.

As Outrider painfully pointed out above, money is literally needed to both live and sustain a happy, healthy life, even if you manage to live a happy life entirely off the charity of others, you're health and happiness would still have been bought with money, their money.

The best thing about money is that you don't have to have a lot of it to buy some happiness, in some cases, even just the act of earning/having/spending it can give you good feels.

Sure, you do have the option of forsaking civilization with all of it's technology and tools, and going back to nature to live off of the land. Genuinely though, how happy would you be in the wild, in a world where money doesn't exist? Anytime something broke you'd have to fix it yourself, assuming you had the foresight to buy the things you needed to survive in the wild, oh wait, there was that word buy again.

Though I guess if you were to completely give up on money, then you'd have to go into the wild naked and unarmed. Since money would have been used to purchase your clothes, and/or even the materials if you made your own. Depending on the climate, a person could reasonably survive in the wild with nothing more than their wits, but just how happy would they be, I reckon that they'd eventually break down until there was no longer a person, just the twisted shell of one.

Yeah the world is kind of set up in such a way you need money to survive, thus yes it is going to help maintain quality of life and contentment. Doesn't mean money actually buys happiness, if money wasn't required for life there would be another way to acquire survival supplies as well as things you want that bring you happiness. Also there is something really great about friends/family or an S.O that really cares about you, rather than what is in your wallet.

Money is a means to an end, that is all.

Also what is wrong about having to fix things? or being closer to 'the wild' I mean it seems various ancient cultures that existed before all the advanced technology and world-wide monetary system still found time for leisure and happiness.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm

Snusmurikken wrote:

In relation to meeting people, joining interest/social groups is a good place to start. Better than approaching random people for conversation.

I don't know about all that, I can't approach people I don't know IRL either doesn't mean I don't want to meet people or would never go out...just can't go up to someone and start a conversation. I mean I can go out and about, and try and be approachable via body language(also not my strong point). But as for the online thing it is actually a lot easier to meet someone IRL if you've been talking to them online already and have seen a picture, makes them seem more familier initially. At least for me, another person with the 'cant approach people' issue.

Snusmurikken
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 2:45 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Snusmurikken wrote:

In relation to meeting people, joining interest/social groups is a good place to start. Better than approaching random people for conversation.

I don't know about all that, I can't approach people I don't know IRL either doesn't mean I don't want to meet people or would never go out...just can't go up to someone and start a conversation. I mean I can go out and about, and try and be approachable via body language(also not my strong point). But as for the online thing it is actually a lot easier to meet someone IRL if you've been talking to them online already and have seen a picture, makes them seem more familier initially. At least for me, another person with the 'cant approach people' issue.

I agree with you.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 4:08 pm

The world isn't set up by anyone, and you can live without money just fine in a deserted island provided you grow your own food and make all the tools you need. Money exists precisely because specializing and trading is more efficient, so those who do it tend to win. The fact that a modern society can have moochers like myself parasitizing it is a testament to its success---in a Stone Age economy, there'd be no room for us and we'd be long dead.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Amarvilasx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 9:32 pm

Snusmurikken wrote:
Amarvilasx wrote:

I know I would be happy if I had a sweetheart. I'm not happy now that i don't have sweetheart, so if I get one i must be happy. I want a sweetheart that also can be my best friend.

Your call if you want to make your happiness contingent upon something that might not happen.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 2:01 am

Being in a relationship can also be a cause of unhappiness. I keep thinking about all the other girls I can't date now :(