Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:45 pm

One common complaint I see of weeaboos is that they have unrealistic perceptions of Japan from watching anime and that's bad, and harmful to people of Asian descent; therefore, they deserve to be socially punished. Now, it may very well be harmful to people of Asian descent, but one commonality I notice among these weeaboos is that most of them are teenagers. My first thought in response to that is: Teenagers are stupid. That's why they still have curfew, that's why there are laws against statutory rape, and that's why we have juvenile court proceedings. Teenagers may fancy themselves mature or grown-up, but in reality they still have major problems with impulse control and other areas because their brains are still not mature.

Not only that, but having unrealistic perceptions of other another culture from consuming media or otherwise hearing about it isn't exactly unprecedented. Many old-time immigrants to America thought our streets were paved in gold, and indeed some took that rather literally:

Quote:
An old Italian saying summed up the disillusionment felt by many: "I came to America because I heard the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, found out three things: First, the streets weren't paved with gold; second, they weren't paved at all: and third, I was expected to pave them." In spite of the difficulties, few gave up and returned home.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/snpim1.htm

And in modern times, TV shows spread the world over make people think it's cool to live in America. When I travelled along the old Route 66 to get here to California, a Russian friend I know online thought that was awesome as crap. In fact, prior to him bringing it up, I did not even know I was taking that route. Apparently, these TV shows have a huge impact on perceptions. In fact, I think that certain cities often showing up on American TV a lot (like Los Angeles and New York) probably makes people think those locations are cool, too.

If freaking grown-ups have these misconceptions, then what do you expect of teenagers?

Now, they tell me, But still, Asian-Americans are harmed by them, and thus this should be stamped out, with regards to Japan. Certainly, but go easy on the teenagers! Again, teenagers are stupid! People need to having unrealistic expectations of freaking teenagers. It's these unrealistic expectations that gave us the "superpredator" myth and juveniles increasingly being tried as adults in criminal court, and that pedophiles try to exploit when they rationalize their crimes against minors. This has caused serious damage to teenagers, especially teenagers of color (due to the intersection with implicit racial bias), and we're just now trying to finally undue that damage. The reason why we have protections for these teenagers in the first place is: Teenagers are stupid! Not only that, but they are starting to form identity at this age, and if you label them "superpredator," for example, and make that their identity; well, what do you expect?

(I notice, too, that most of these complaints about teenagers having unrealistic conceptions of Japan come from other teenagers.)

Now, I agree Orientalism is a major problem, and even as a white person I cringe when other white people are doing that as well, but that's a cultural problem, not a problem of one specific person. Nevertheless, I am in agreement that whites, especially white ADULTS, should try to rein that crap in.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

I think part of the reason Asian culture is felt to be something to emulate is because of its perceived tranquility, combined with its perceived order.

Buddhism has appeal for similar reasons.

I'm very Western in my philosophical outlook. I don't look to Japanese culture for any answers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:34 pm

"Weeaboo"? I had to look it up.

I like sushi, some anime, and cute Japanese women in silk kimonos; but the "Weeaboo" culture seems just plain weird.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 5:24 pm

Had to look up that term too.

The name sounds like an animal from Australia.

Japanation fans are like another fan group. I dont see how they are a threat to anything ( the well being of Asian Americans, or anyone else). They are just another dorky group like Trekkies.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 3:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Had to look up that term too.

The name sounds like an animal from Australia.

Japanation fans are like another fan group. I dont see how they are a threat to anything ( the well being of Asian Americans, or anyone else). They are just another dorky group like Trekkies.

Well, let's see what some Asians have to say:

Quote:
I use to go to an anime club that was at my local library and it was the first place I ever met any other anime fans but it was absolutely horrible. Everyone would get into fights over anime and there were these two really creepy guys that kept looking at me and staring at me the entire time I was there. A girl, who I’ll call M, told me not to worry about them and they are just not used to new people. Her being the only one not picking fights and actually being very nice too me, I trusted what she said. But then she left to go to the bathroom and the two creepy guys zoomed over to me. One of them, who I’ll call D, put his arm around me and gave me a very weird smile. His hair was very greasy, and you could tell he hadn’t taken a shower for a long time. He then asked me how old I was. I told him I was thirteen and he got the CREEPIEST GRIN EVER and said he absolutely loved his loli-con. Nope nope nope red flag. I got up and was about to run out of there for dear life until the other guy, who I will call W, grabbed my wrist and said, “You’re really kawaii. You’d make such a cute maid~.” Are you kidding me? I had the look of fear in my face and ran straight out the door until the library attendant asked me what was wrong and I told her about W and D and she told me W thinks everyone is his girlfriend (he also was flirting with the elderly library attendants too asking them if they wanted Pocky or to read his manga with him).

(continued at link)

http://weeaboo-stories.tumblr.com/post/ ... ii-desu-no

On this link there are a number of other creepy stories:

http://weeaboo-stories.tumblr.com/

Quote:
I was talking to a couple of people in silent hill costumes while my cousin was in the toilet, when I felt something tugging on my dress. I turned around to see a girl dressed in some Madoka Magica costume (although it didn’t really fit her very well…) and she was tugging on my dress pretty hard. I asked her to stop, since I wasn’t sure how strong the stitching on my dress was, but she just giggled and called me ‘tsundere’. I was getting pretty irritated at her, and her hands were traveling higher and higher, until I had to grab her hands and push her away slightly. By then, she was getting pretty upset, and she was pushing onto me, and even though I’m pretty fit and I work out a lot, she was pushing me into the wall and I was getting a bit freaked out.

Quote:
I am a lesbian, and I’m not subtle about it. I tend to project as the stereotypical butch, and some days I even get mistaken for a guy, which doesn’t bother me in the least. I also have a girlfriend I’ve been with for two years, and I talk about her enthusiastically quite regularly. The first time I did around K, his reaction was almost comedic. His eyes bulged, he reeled back, and I swear to god, he did an actual double-take. And then he asked, breathing heavily, “Wait, you’re LESBIAN?!” He was really loud. A lot of heads turned. I just sort of nodded. “Uh… Yeah. I thought everyone knew that already.” Again, I have all the subtlety of a brick to the head. Apparently, he didn’t. And he’s treated me differently ever since. Every time I talk about my girlfriend when he’s around, he gets this creepy smile on his face and hisses out, “Yuuuuriiiii.”

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:12 am

The world, and the people within it, will never not be damn weird.

It seems like the usual fetishisation of The Other, which carries a certain objectification, and objectification is rarely good news.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

Japanese animation is made for American audiences the just as our Hollywood films and music are for the world, anime was inspired by Disney so it is something both distinctly American and Japanese. If you find it troubling then too bad since they make a lot of money here, much more here in the US than Japan. Please stop being offended on other people's behalves, stop trying to appropriate minority "outrage". People all around the world have misconceptions about people on the other side of it, what can you expect? That has been true since the beginning of time. This cultural segregationist thought is what needs to be stamped out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 10:16 am

Being offended by other people's behavior is normal and right, especially when those people are behaving physically aggressive toward you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

beneficii wrote:
One common complaint I see of weeaboos is that they have unrealistic perceptions of Japan from watching anime and that's bad, and harmful to people of Asian descent; therefore, they deserve to be socially punished. Now, it may very well be harmful to people of Asian descent, but one commonality I notice among these weeaboos is that most of them are teenagers. My first thought in response to that is: Teenagers are stupid. That's why they still have curfew, that's why there are laws against statutory rape, and that's why we have juvenile court proceedings. Teenagers may fancy themselves mature or grown-up, but in reality they still have major problems with impulse control and other areas because their brains are still not mature.

Not only that, but having unrealistic perceptions of other another culture from consuming media or otherwise hearing about it isn't exactly unprecedented. Many old-time immigrants to America thought our streets were paved in gold, and indeed some took that rather literally:

Quote:
An old Italian saying summed up the disillusionment felt by many: "I came to America because I heard the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, found out three things: First, the streets weren't paved with gold; second, they weren't paved at all: and third, I was expected to pave them." In spite of the difficulties, few gave up and returned home.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/snpim1.htm

And in modern times, TV shows spread the world over make people think it's cool to live in America. When I travelled along the old Route 66 to get here to California, a Russian friend I know online thought that was awesome as crap. In fact, prior to him bringing it up, I did not even know I was taking that route. Apparently, these TV shows have a huge impact on perceptions. In fact, I think that certain cities often showing up on American TV a lot (like Los Angeles and New York) probably makes people think those locations are cool, too.

If freaking grown-ups have these misconceptions, then what do you expect of teenagers?

Now, they tell me, But still, Asian-Americans are harmed by them, and thus this should be stamped out, with regards to Japan. Certainly, but go easy on the teenagers! Again, teenagers are stupid! People need to having unrealistic expectations of freaking teenagers. It's these unrealistic expectations that gave us the "superpredator" myth and juveniles increasingly being tried as adults in criminal court, and that pedophiles try to exploit when they rationalize their crimes against minors. This has caused serious damage to teenagers, especially teenagers of color (due to the intersection with implicit racial bias), and we're just now trying to finally undue that damage. The reason why we have protections for these teenagers in the first place is: Teenagers are stupid! Not only that, but they are starting to form identity at this age, and if you label them "superpredator," for example, and make that their identity; well, what do you expect?

(I notice, too, that most of these complaints about teenagers having unrealistic conceptions of Japan come from other teenagers.)

Now, I agree Orientalism is a major problem, and even as a white person I cringe when other white people are doing that as well, but that's a cultural problem, not a problem of one specific person. Nevertheless, I am in agreement that whites, especially white ADULTS, should try to rein that crap in.

Farther down in the thread you talk about a real issue.

But that real issue has little to do with anything you have said in this OP.

First off:

I am a native born American who has taken car trips across the US, and I ALSO think that its "cool as crap" that you got to drive route 66!

Dont know why you have a problem with your Russian friend appreciating the significance of Route 66.

In fact your Russian friend has a commendable grasp of American geography that should be applauded. Most folks in Europe think that the Wild West starts at the city limits of New York City, and have no sense of the various regions of the US that you go through as you go west. In contrast your friend does seem to grasp that.

Second:you're implying that Japan as a country is somehow a victim of American teenagers who consume animie. I doubt that you could persuade Japan of that because they make tons of money exporting that stuff to us! Just like Hollywood makes tons of money exporting Rambo to the world.

However (not in this op, but farther down in the thread) you DID show that animie conventions attract creepy wierdos who threaten young women (as women, not as Asian Americans). So I concede that that could be a real problem. But those creepy wierdos would exist in society anyway whether animie existed to draw them to one place or not.

This one actual real issue you're talking about has little obviously to do with any of this other stuff about "Orientalism" (whatever that word even means) that you're dragging in to it.

Not an expert on Animie but I know that in FYE stores some of it you cant buy with out an adult ID, and some of it is "clean" enough to buy without ID. Buy maybe even the "clean" stuff maybe isnt all that clean. So maybe you're right that animie should be monitored for minors more than it is.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 10:26 pm

naturalplastic,

I think you misunderstand me. I didn't have any problem with my Russian friend bringing up Route 66. I thought it was cool. I was talking about how from media people can get an idealized vision of other countries.

In the OP, I was saying that the people going after weeabs should cut teenagers some slack because teenagers are stupid. At the same time, I did not want my post to be construed as dismissing their complaints regarding Orientalism and microaggressions against Asian-Americans.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 11:10 pm

It seems the people they're complaining about being inappropriate are the same garden variety of creep you get in many groups - computers, any fandom on earth, rampantly on the Internet, people who abuse daring sites, etc.
That they show up in anime groups is unsurprising. But they're just creeps - I don't think the anime genre is to blame for specifically breeding them.
I suppose Asian-Americans are unhappy with exaggerated stereotyping. Which is fair enough. People need to realise that this is a specific genre, a larger than life representation, not an accurate cultural portrait of Japan in real life. So long as people are aware of that, it doesn't have to be damaging.
I don't agree with the appropriation thread wedged in there, though. That because a person is white they can't be into Japanese language, culture, aesthetic, design and so on. Why does it matter where a person was born, or what colour their skin is? The world is a mishmash of different influences. I don't see it as valid maligning people for appreciating another culture and incorporating that into themselves.
One of my special interests has been Japanese food, and from there, Japanese language so I didn't horribly mispronounce the foods. I don't see any problem with that for a white person.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 12:18 am

Hi C2V,

It is very common for depictions of Asian women to show them as submissive, docile, willing to do anything to please their man. This comes from many areas of literature, such as Memoirs of a Geisha and Madame Butterfly (both of which by the way were written by white men). Basically, this stereotyping of Asian women sends a message to the creeps: These are the women you want to go after.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 1:30 am

This was pretty funny by Kristina Wong, who works to get reparations for the yellow fever of the men going after her:

http://kristinawong.com/blog/2014/05/04 ... low-fever/

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 4:05 am

I tend to think that the people who obsess over Asian cultures can be creepy, depending on their motivations. Unrealistic, idealized, impressions of other cultures aren't healthy, in my opinion, but they also don't seem to be uncommon. Japanese have their own unrealistic ideas and obsessions with western culture.

I like Chinese culture, and am learning Mandarin. But not because I want to be Asian, or think Asians are hot, or are superior, or anything like that. I prefer East and Southeast Asian foods over most others, I really like ancient Chinese culture and art, and I really like the languages.

But these things have more to do with my interests in anthropology and linguistics than anything else.

I'm a straight woman, so I'm definitely not interested in Chinese culture for the supposedly "submissive Chinese women".

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 11:43 am

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 6:52 am

beneficii wrote:
naturalplastic,

I think you misunderstand me. I didn't have any problem with my Russian friend bringing up Route 66. I thought it was cool. I was talking about how from media people can get an idealized vision of other countries.

In the OP, I was saying that the people going after weeabs should cut teenagers some slack because teenagers are stupid. At the same time, I did not want my post to be construed as dismissing their complaints regarding Orientalism and microaggressions against Asian-Americans.

EXACTLY!

You dont know your audience.

This is NOT a special interest animie site composed of folks who spend 24-7 thinking about the same issues that you happened to be obsessed with. This is general purpose mass audience site of varying folks of varying ages and backgrounds, and etc. And thats why NO one here can decifer WTF you're even talking about!

I recommend that you try being less narcissistic in your writing style here from now on.

You knew full well that few here know what a slang term like "weeabo" means, but you went ahead and used the term without explaining it anyway! Why?

This whole issue of extreme animie enthusists being somehow a threat is something most folks neither know, nor care about.

Instead of telling us that "we shouldnt go after teenagers" about these issues, you need to tell us why we should "go after" ANYone of ANY age about it, because most of us in this audience neither know, nor care about the issue in the first place. Explain why we should care in the first place, THEN tell us the exceptional cases when we shouldnt care.

Sorry. But we are a mass audience. You gotta teach us to walk, before you teach us to run, when it comes to these splinter subculture issues.