Autistic Candidate, O’Leary, Faces Abuse in Irish Election

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 2:02 pm

Irish Examiner: Candidate with autism targeted with ‘shocking’ online abuse

Quote:
An autistic general election candidate and her autistic children have been targeted by vile online abuse which branded them “inbred mongolians”.

Another sick online message suggested that if they “commit mass suicide”, it would free up resources for “the humans”.

Outspoken autism rights advocate, Fiona Pettit O’Leary, who has Aspergers, said she plans to report the series of horrific private Facebook messages to gardaí today.

But the West Cork-based mother-of-five — two of whom are on the autistic spectrum — vowed last night not to be silenced by the online abuse.

“I am a strong woman and I won’t be intimidated or bullied by these kinds of messages,” she said.

I hope she does well in Cork South West! She is campaigning on autism and disability related issues.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

There was a thread awhile back about insperational Aspies. She sure is one. I hope she not only does well but is ELECTED.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman