Taking things literally on purpose to annoy people

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

A former HFA online friend once told me these stories:

There was a friend who had three cats. She was talking to a guy online and he asked to see her p**** so she took a photo of her cat and showed it to him. He told her "No, your other p****" and she showed him a photo of her other cat and he goes again "No, your other p****, between your legs" so she put her third cat between her legs and took a photo and showed it to him and blocked him.

There was another friend who was talking to a guy online and he asked to see her chest. She took a photo of her chest (the one you store stuff in) and showed it to him and blocked him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

gkk7z
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
gkk7z wrote:
Ashariel wrote:
gkk7z wrote:
@OP, your comment was absolute golddust!! !

Am I missing something? Was the 'wood and laminate flooring' comment a metaphor too?

Yes. It has to do with the presence of hair on a certain area of the body, or lack theirof in this case. In the same way that some people prefer their homes to be 'carpet free'.

In my case I'm talking about my actual house. My actual house does have laminate flooring because I don't like the acoustics of carpet. It makes everything seem dull. I really don't feel like disclosing my grooming habits to random guys.

Ooops! I am so sorry lol!! It's only because I've heard the reference used before, and so I assumed that you were using that as a quick witted answer to put them in their place. I guess that's yet another example of me misunderstanding sarcasm and dropping myself in it... :oops:

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm

Haha this a comedy of errors... I laughed at the funny use of cats though!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 3:14 pm

League_Girl wrote:

There was a friend who had three cats. She was talking to a guy online and he asked to see her p**** so she took a photo of her cat and showed it to him. He told her "No, your other p****" and she showed him a photo of her other cat and he goes again "No, your other p****, between your legs" so she put her third cat between her legs and took a photo and showed it to him and blocked him.

There was another friend who was talking to a guy online and he asked to see her chest. She took a photo of her chest (the one you store stuff in) and showed it to him and blocked him.

I show people pictures of my cat as well.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I show people pictures of my cat as well.

This is so funny hah :lol:
I've never heard of this either- this is great. Wow.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm

I do this sometimes. Sometimes I make it obvious that I'm being sarcastic or funny, other times I pretend I didn't understand just to watch peoples' reactions :twisted: Once my teacher/friend was helping with some computer stuff that got seriously messed up. He muttered something about it being "a cluster" (meaning a clusterf***). I knew what he meant, but asked, "A cluster of what?" He went very quiet for several seconds, then said, "I'll explain later". :lol:

It's my way of feeling better about myself for the times I take things too literally and it's not on purpose!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm

I used to do it, when I didn't really know how provocation works. I stopped when I realized it was likely to get me beaten up.

cberg wrote:
TBH I do this all the time with software licensing. :lol: Some people really are terrified by the prospect of just how much can be done free of charge.

What do you mean you do with software licensing? I don't know what you can take literally in that field to annoy someone.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 7:18 am

I saw a funny response to that on a long hair forum. They said "Yes, I have to tuck it into my sock."

dachsowned
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2016, 7:31 am

Lol!! ! As a kid I was asked by a friend (?) if I had grass on my front lawn. Clueless, I replied no, only weeds! Nowadays when I'm at work at my other job (retail), I take people literally on purpose if they're driving me crazy - I can make a conversation sound like a bad Bob Newhart sketch!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:15 am

One time, when my mum's friend was driving me back home from karate, she asked if there would ever be a time when I would leave the dojo [the class]. I replied instantly, without even thinking, 'But we just did.' :lol:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2016, 9:18 am

Yeah, I'm a very pedantic person.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2016, 9:28 am

League_Girl wrote:

I really like this!! ! What a super way to deal with that situation!

Personally I tend not to take things literally on purpose because I struggle with doing that so much naturally and people frequently think I'm being annoying when that's not my intention at all. I don't want to make it worse. Once I answered a sarcastic british policeman literally as I didn't know he was being sarcastic at the time and he ended up checking my motorbike all over to try to find a fault to give me a ticket. I got quite upset becuase I didn't know why he was 'picking on me' (that's how I saw it at the time.) After talking it over with a friend later I found out about the sarcasm and how he thought I was being rude when I was just answering his questions literally - then I understood why he was so mean. Anyway, I always kept my Kawasaki in tip top condition so he couldn't find a problem with it. All was well.

PS: Blue hair is so cool - I wish I had teh courage to do something loike that.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:45 am

I am pedantic as well, but I do not do it to be annoying either; I did not even realize that it was a negative thing until I looked up the definition just now to be sure that I was using it correctly.

"I am silently correcting your grammar."  :lol:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

aikitsune
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2016, 2:15 pm

I don't usually do this on purpose with people. The only ones I do it with regularly are very close friends who understand this "quirk" and a professor of mine, who has discovered she is likely an undiagnosed Aspie herself. And then it's like an inside joke, because we know we both do this taking things literally stuff at times. Her husband texted to ask her how her day was, and she responded with "I'm tired." I pointed out he asked how her day was, not how she was, but as a joke-type-thing. She responded, "You're lucky I'm so tired right now," because usually she'd have some kind of retort. I find that kind of thing really occurs to me because I'd never respond with "I'm tired" when asked "How was your day?" I would respond with "It was okay" or "Not so great" or something like that, because the question was about my day, not me. I realize how pedantic that is, so it's done in jest only. Most people are frustrating in that they settle for "close enough" or "specific enough" in their communications, and it's really enough for them. The only time I ever bring those things up otherwise is if I find myself seriously confused by wording and need clarification. Admittedly, that happens often. :oops:

I do take a lot longer to process things that aren't meant to be literal, and still want to reply in a way that is literal. I do sometimes start to reply in a way that is literal, then realize halfway through I "didn't really get it" the right way, and kinda throw some humor-ish stuff in there so it looks like I'm trying to be funny. The result is I still look odd and awkward, just in a slightly different way.

That "p****" thing, though... That sounds like something I'd do. And I'd feel no guilt, because idiots on the Internet get trolled. It's just a fact. :lol:

AQ-10: 10
RAADS-R: 190

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:15 pm

Creepy guy online: Do you like BBC
Victim: Yes I watch it all the time, what is your favorite show on there? Mine is Dr. Who.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Creepy guy online: Do you like BBC
Victim: Yes I watch it all the time, what is your favorite show on there? Mine is Dr. Who.

I only just recently learned what that meant. I looked it up after a kid on Minecraft said it and from the context didn't seem to be talking about British television.