Legit ways to make money from home?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:53 pm

Are there any out there?

I know there are some websites where you get paid to take surveys, but I don't know if they are worth it.

I'm thinking of something that would be quick to get into, not require much financial investment, but can do from home (even if its not online). I'm on unemployment and don't have transportation right now.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 12:18 am

One is Amazon's Mechanical Turk: mturk.com

The pay is very low of course, but I understand that if you build up a reputation you can get a bit more. It certainly isn't enough to live on, but if you're looking for, say, an extra 20 bucks a week to pay for incidental expenses, yes, that would be relatively easy.

There Are Four Lights!

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 5:02 pm

Thanks, this is the sort of thing I was looking for! Says it takes 48 hours to verify account, so I'll try it once that happens.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 5:47 pm

There are a lot of how-to videos on youtube that offer MTurk tips and tricks -- probably worth watching.

There Are Four Lights!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Feb 2016, 4:19 am

I used MicroWorkers(clicky link) before. Most of the jobs are pretty tedious but easy things to do like clicking on adds, doing Google searches, & rating things but some stuff invulves more like writing reviews. I spent a lot of time on there after I heard of it but my OCD was bad & I was living with my parents & didn't have much of a life. I quit going there 1ce I moved in with my girlfriend cuz I have more of a life now & my OCD is treated. I was making over $50 a month when I was going there thou & I wasn't doing the jobs that pay more. Most of the jobs pay in cents but the more involved stuff may pay a buck or couple. They deduct a small percent fee to transfer the money into a certain account & you only had a couple different 1s you could chose from. They might let you transfer into PayPal now thou sense they were working on that feature when I quit going there & it's been afew years.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 4:45 am

Darmok wrote:
One is Amazon's Mechanical Turk: mturk.com

The pay is very low of course, but I understand that if you build up a reputation you can get a bit more. It certainly isn't enough to live on, but if you're looking for, say, an extra 20 bucks a week to pay for incidental expenses, yes, that would be relatively easy.

It's for Americans only. :(

Lucas_NYC
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2016, 6:48 pm

If you want to earn 'good money' online, have you ever thought of becoming a developer or designer?

There is a crazy demand for people who can code, and you're judged not by your education but by your portfolio of work. Depending on your skill set &/or determination, there is nothing stopping you from earning $75k+ (entry level). Working from home is always an option, my company has atleast a dozen devs who work from home (or other cities).

Anyways, two things I've done online to make money (not that I recommend either one):

FOREX (foreign currency exchange)
Traded lots of $10k (margin was 200x, so it was the equivalent of $50 to me).
Ended up making some money, but not quite enough to sustain myself while attending my second year of university (finance major).

POKER
I love poker. Although I'm generally terrible at tells, unless I can recognize them, you can often win simply by playing the correct odds(aka, outs).

GayAspieBoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Mar 2016, 12:25 pm

I do Secretary work and administrative support from home for a few small businesses.

The key is to work for more than one if they can't offer you more hours.

One position is 15 hours a week and the other one is 8.

Unfortunately, I snagged this convenience through my own personal network. I never would have found these positions online, but I'm sure there are similar opportunities if you can find them.

What do I do?

Phone calls
Emails
Scheduling
Typing and PowerPoint
Sometimes I also design brochures and marketing materials - if I can't make it myself, they usually just give me the funds to find someone who can do it for us.

Essentially, learn a skill that a business owner or employer can't afford to hire for full-time and offer to do it for a reasonable price at home. The more you get work down without complications, the more they trust you.

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

There are scoring jobs (scoring university entry exams and k-12 standardized tests ). The pay is decent but a degree is required (any).

JeffMangum
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2016, 5:27 pm

I you want to know how much you can potentially earn on Mturk. I made $1,239.77 last year doing it on and off. I probably didn't do it most of the year because I had a job for a bit. It probably won't make you a living, but it's a great supplement.

https://join.skype.com/sSDAUBw2W32B

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 9:59 pm

There are a number of call-center type jobs from home. I know a guy who works for DirecTv customer service from his bedroom. He gets paid less than a normal call center rep, but still decent

iAndrew
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2016, 4:38 pm

You can do what I'm doing and start learning about online niche marketing. Basically creating niche sites/blogs that have good content and link to affiliate products (like Amazin if you built a site comparing kickboxing equipment or hunting knives).

You basically pick a "niche"

do keyword research.

Find keywords that don't have much
competition.

write content (or hire someone online to write your content) targeting your keywords

Buy a domain and hosting (cheap)

Setup Wordpress with one click

Post content

Promote & fine tune site

Wait several months for Google to trust your site enough to rank you in the search engine for your keywords.

A lot Morris involved but there are a lot of case studies involving beginners who didn't know anything about Internet marketing who built a niche site and within 6-12 months were making $500-$1500 a month with their site (some selling their sites for 5 figures).

There are a lot of resources out there that teach this stuff (it's legitimate. It's not get rich quick and it requires hard work).

Ed Dale has something called "The Challenge" where he teaches beginners how to make their first $10 online. I did it in 2007 and made good money from my websites until 2009 when I stopped. He's actually starting the challenge in April. It's a step by step walk through and explanation for beginners. www.challenge.co.

Another good site I just recently started reading is nichepursuits.com they have a paid course but I don't know anything about it. The blog is good.

I'm no affiliated with any of those sites FYI but this is a legitimate way to start earning money from home. It's what I'm getting back into doing.

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2016, 9:20 pm

I've been watching people who play video games and stream on Twitch or Youtube Gaming, and make money from people who subscribe to you. On Twitch, you can get $5 for every subscriber. The hard part is, you need the PC and a good microphone (not something I have right now) and a decent setup to stream with OBS. Some people donate, either on those Websites or Patreon.

And you have to be patient, you're not going to get the viewers you want, this is something long term, you kinda have to seem interesting enough for people to want to stay. I don't even have a PC yet, just a laptop. If I can afford a good PC, I'll probably end up streaming stuff sometime. I'd love to do FOSS GNU/Linux games, and also old retro games that nobody else has ever done before!

Debian is the Universal Operating System.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

beakybird wrote:
There are a number of call-center type jobs from home. I know a guy who works for DirecTv customer service from his bedroom. He gets paid less than a normal call center rep, but still decent

OMG dude, not a good recommendation for an aspie-- most of us cannot handle phone work, since it's all socialization. I would rather commit suicide than be forced to work at a call center.

Jamieohs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2016, 4:41 pm

I'm not sure if something like this would work for you but its what im planning on doing since I can't seem to find a job. So I'm into cars and I'm pretty knowledgeable about them so I figured why not start buying and selling them from home. Once I planned it all out it looked fairly simple. I start out with £1000 pounds which I'll use to go online and search for a vehicle (one in good working order with fairly low mileage, no more than 30 miles from my house and advertised below its market value). Once I've found one and had it hpi checked to make sure its all legit I arrange a meeting with the seller to hand over the cash and collect the keys/paperwork then I call a tow truck to have it transported home. I then give it a good clean and take photos of it and write a description to place in an ad which I then post on numerous different car selling sites (autotrader, craigslist, Gumtree, motors.co.uk etc) as well as facebook car sales groups and any clubs/owners groups associated with that particular type of car. Hopefully within a week I'll have had calls about and and found a buyer. (After factoring in the cost of the tow truck, any advertisement fees from any of the sites and any other work that may have needed doing there must be a profit of at least £3-400). I then place the profit aside and use the £1000 to find another car and continue the cycle. I plan to keep it small scale (no more than 2/3 cars at a time).

Something like this could work for you, doesn't necessarily have to be cars, it could be buying and selling anything.