Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 12:16 pm

Ok whilst I still more or less stand by what I said of the youtuber who made the video being a loser, it doesn't mean I am offended by any misuse of the word autistic. But I can live with some humour and jokes pointed our way, even if they aren't 100% accurate...I saw use on t.v mentioned, well any funny t.v show should be making fun of everything and I typically take that as being more in good humour than meant to oppress autistics or something.

And as for the term ret*d, people said that a lot when I was a kid a lot of times to be mean...but I imagine a good bit to was that I didn't know what it meant to them. I always took it 100% literally, never occurred to me that it was just a go-to word kids used to tease each other...you'd think a teacher or someone could have pointed that out to me to soften the blow of getting called that all the time. But anymore I am well aware the term doesn't even mean anything demeaning...basically a fancy word for slow or slowed, funny how it came to be what it was based on that.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

If autistic people make it an issue with their group victim mentality, people will only want to mock us more.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
If autistic people make it an issue with their group victim mentality, people will only want to mock us more.

Were did this come from?...granted its possible for an autistic person to have a victim mentality, but your wording seems to suggest it should be assumed autistic people have victim mentalities.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 3:58 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

While it varies by individual and situation as a group we are descriminated against. This is not some sort of NT conspiracy but a natural result of bieng a very small minority. Autistics are bullied more and have lower employment rates then even people with other disabilities. Except for the bullying most of the descrimination is subconscious and not overt. Most of the discrimination is directed at individual autistics whom the person may not even know is autistic and not autistics as a group. People are going to natuarlly going to think that a 2 percent minority is wierd and wrong that is if they know anything about that minority at all. Exacerbating the problems is that we are different in the area people consider most important social skills and presentation.

In order to think we as a group have a victim mentality they have think of us as a group in the first place. Most if they think of us at all think of us as individuals with something wrong named autism. The idea of nuerodiversity is not known by most and if you told them that would think of the idea as bizarre as cancer patients wanting to have more cancer.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2016, 4:41 pm

Those guys are trolls. They know that what they're posting is inflammatory and they enjoy every angry reaction. Don't feed the troll = don't give him new viewers = don't link his videos.

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

MissAlgernon wrote:
Those guys are trolls. They know that what they're posting is inflammatory and they enjoy every angry reaction. Don't feed the troll = don't give him new viewers = don't link his videos.

Yeah, that's why I didn't link any of his videos. I think people should report the channel but don't even bother watching his videos, they're a waste of your time and he doesn't deserve the views.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 3:32 am

The fact YouTube hasnt banned that jerk makes me a bit upset. As others posted- austism is like the new ret*d (when it comes to insults). It's horrible how people have to resort to that garbage just to belittle others.

In my view- online bullying and insulting in general needs to be dealt with better. Posts and videos on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit and so on need to be moderated more. I know people love to cry "free speech" at most things these days, but that doesn't justify rude behavior/bullying. You know what makes this worse? People with power and/or fame get away with this crap all the time. Politicians insult each other all the time. Nonsense celebrity insults and "feuds" happen all the time too.

I strongly feel bullying in general needs to be dealt with a lot better. So many news stories that I read where people get bullied and nothing happens, even when there is proof! It's frustrating to live in a world full of so much hate :(

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Feb 2016, 4:04 am

Don't feed the troll, Youtubers quite literally make money on this garbage clickbait. Very liberal use of the word famous here.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 11:41 am

Silas 112 wrote:
So I was watching some videos about the Fine Brothers controversy that has been going on and I was unfortunate enough to come across this YouTuber with 184 THOUSAND subscribers called "NFKRZ" (I don't even know what that means, it looks like he just mashed his hand on the keyboard). While I don't support the Fine Brother's copyright stuff by any means I thought it was quite mean spirited that he said in the video that he was hoping they went poor.

I decided to click on his channel to see if the rest of his videos were equally mean spirited and it turns out he has an entire series called #AutismAlert. He also shares that hashtag on social media. The actual videos are just about dumb Twitter comments from his friends but he constantly uses 'autistic' as an insult in the videos. Even in his other videos he constantly calls people autistic ret*ds and makes impressions of autistic people where he just tries to make himself sound as dumb as possible. It can't even be considered jokes, he seems to go out of his way to insult autistic people whenever he gets the chance. Some of the other words he uses includes 'gay' and 'fa***t', but it seems like 'autistic' is his favorite go-to insult. He even used the N-Word in one of his videos, but he cut to a black dude saying it because... that's apparently more offensive than all the other s**t he says?

His fanbase is just as bad. There was a top comment on one of his videos that said "How many autistic kids does it take to screw a lightbulb?". This comment had 68 thumbs up. Some of the replies included "None, bc they're too dumb" and "One, but it would take a very long time". And this is what he calls "The greatest fans in the universe". I seriously can't tell if they genuinely hate autistic people or if they just think that autism is some kind of hilarious joke, but either way it makes me sick to my stomach that there are nearly 200,000 people who thinks this s**t is okay.

The worst part is that nobody seems to be against this. Most of his videos has nearly 100% likes. I looked through many comments on multiple of his videos to search for any type of intelligent life and I only saw like two or three people complain. And of course his fans just replied by calling them autistic losers.

I know it's "just the internet", but I just can't believe that blatantly mocking people for being autistic is considered acceptable now. To quote the Adams Family; "HAS THE PLANET GONE MAD!?". :roll:

I personally believe that we live in a pretty f****d up world when YouTubers like Nostalgia Critic, I Hate Everything, and even recently Team Four Star have videos, or even their entire channel, taken down despite the fact that they exercise Fair Use but people like this guy who fart this kind of hateful BS right out of their ass get off scot free. I think that we Aspies need to band together and see to it that his channel is taken down as soon as possible. I've already submitted my plea to have him removed from YouTube. Who's with me?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

There is risk with starting to ban stuff instead of countering stuff. What if a cure is found, the act of refusing a cure is believed to be an indicator of mental illness thus advocating a cure is dangerous. Or saying there are more good sides to Autism then bad is offensive to parents of severly autistic children and should be banned.

If you are going to advocate doing it at all at least do it with some person other then some dude on Youtube. Examples of people whose articles have been forced to be taken down was a popular employment coach who in Psychology Today wrote that hiring people on the spectrum is risky because amoung other reasons they might scavage through the company garbage, a "therapist" who said there are 10 good things that can come from bullying.

I supported the effort to take the article by the employment coach down at the time because a popular person writing in a magazine that has some popularity and respect could do real damage to autistic hiring prospects. I would be very reluctent to do that today because of the anti free speech movement and fierce backlash against it that has emerged since. People today are increasingly seeing any attempt to ban stuff as spoiled fragile people gaining too much influence because in some instances that is what it is. The merits of the case against whatever is is bieng banned is getting lost or associated with anti free spech facism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 2:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Don't feed the troll, Youtubers quite literally make money on this garbage clickbait. Very liberal use of the word famous here.

I agree. He's trying to be offensive. And people are falling for it. Why should I be offended over what some moronic Youtuber thinks about autistic people?

I have no respect for him, and so his opinion means nothing. It's just a bunch of garbage.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2016, 10:40 am

I tend to use Youtube on a very selective basis, mostly to learn about topics that interest me. Sometimes funny stuff, but only now and then. Maybe I'm too old to be part of this person's target audience, but I've never heard of him, either. I certainly couldn't be bothered to go looking for him. What is there to gain from the experience?

There will always be attention seekers, and there will always be people sitting on the edge of their seat waiting to express outrage about whatever those people say. It's true in politics, entertainment and any other sphere of life you can name. The older I get, the less I care about people like that. Let him have his fun if that's what he does to feel better about his sad existence. Don't watch his videos and you'll never be offended. :)

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Feb 2016, 11:53 am

I've never heard of this guy, but what he's saying doesn't surprise me. There are some nasty people out there who hate us and stereotype is without even knowing us.

I have heard of a different YouTuber called Onision who did a video about autism and it turned pretty much into a hating a stereotyping thing. Since he's a bigger name, he's definitely sending more people the wrong message.

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2016, 8:10 am

Kenya wrote:
I think that we Aspies need to band together and see to it that his channel is taken down as soon as possible. I've already submitted my plea to have him removed from YouTube. Who's with me?

I'm with you, I've reported him and asked my friends to do the same. Twitter already took him down so it's just YouTube that needs to get their s**t together. People like this guy is why the internet has such a bad name.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2016, 10:47 am

(BTW I found out what his name NFKRZ means. It's quite rude so I will block out bits of the bad word. It means 'no F@#kers'. Seems like a stupid name to me.)

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 11:35 pm

I was on the Flat Earth Society forum (saying that Earth is not flat) and a lot of people thought I was a "government shill" because I know more about science and math then most people my age and I sometimes talk a bit weird (or so I'm told). I mentioned that it was because I have aspergers, and now flat earthers dismiss most everything I say by calling me a ret*d (an ad homenim fallacy if I've ever seen one). I also accidentally got a lot of people to believe that aspies are in on the "great conspiracy". The conspiracy nuts are definitely an interesting bunch of people.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art