Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2016, 7:23 am

Do your parents ever stop you mid-stimming? Do they interrupt you and how do you deal with this? Every time my parents catch me picking at my scalp or picking / bjting my nails or my lip they call me out or worse, they try to pull my hand away from my mouth or slap my had away from my head. It gets me sooooooo angry.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 8:27 am

Penandinkmarie wrote:
Do your parents ever stop you mid-stimming? Do they interrupt you and how do you deal with this? Every time my parents catch me picking at my scalp or picking / bjting my nails or my lip they call me out or worse, they try to pull my hand away from my mouth or slap my had away from my head. It gets me sooooooo angry.

They do that? And you're 30? They need growing up and respecting you as a person!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 8:48 am

When I go into overdrive with stimming it usually means I have anxiety building up. So whoever in family is nearest to me will start gently rubbing my shoulders which helps me relax. One of those things where I don't like being touched, but still like shoulder rubs.

Sometimes my cousin if we are in our room will just say something like, "Dude! Chill out for f**k sake!" in a way that is funny and I relax.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 8:53 am

Penandinkmarie wrote:

That is so wrong. Anyone did that to me I would go totally ballistic on them.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 4:07 am

When I'm doing my frustrated/overloaded flapping in public, my mom has been known on occasion to take one of my hands and hold it. I'm not sure if it's meant to be reassuring, but I kind of wish she wouldn't because it's clear that its primary purpose is to get me to stop, even though flapping is what I need at that moment.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2016, 11:23 am

See that's the problem, to tell parents that stimming is what we need at the moment to deal with the anxiety/emotions going through us. To explain to them in a way that they will understand. My dad is in TOTAL denial, and he's like STOP! every time he sees me stimming and it's soooo incredibly annoying and infuriating...is how I can put it.