Is it OK to be autistic and not embrace autistic culture?

Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

senquin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
senquin wrote:
I'm done talking about disability selected abortion on this thread because it's off topic. I just mentioned it as one example of the hypocrisy of the autism "rights/neurodiversity movement in supporting a side that pushes for abortion [as well as this self-entitled victim mentality using the argument that people from these "victim" groups are too miserable to let live as long as they're still in their mothers' womb]. To get back to the point of the thread, I already stated that you can be autistic and oppose autism culture because autism culture is a concept by spoiled brats who have too much of a victim mentality. Like I said, I'm a victor, not a victim. I don't believe there is a plot by society to keep autistic people from succeeding. I think autism itself is the obstacle and the solution is to overcome the autism, not just blame everyone else for what autism does.

That link is to one blogger not an disability rights organization but getting back on topic as I said in the first reply to the OP it is ok for an autistic person not to support autistic culture.
It's an example of what I'm saying. That's all. Btw, many activists are bloggers. So that person being a blogger is irrelevant to begin with.

Last edited by senquin on 06 Apr 2016, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senquin

06 Apr 2016, 6:59 pm

vercingetorix451 wrote:
I've never opposed ABA.
In that case, I'm not talking about you. But I have seen autistic "rights" people criticize and attack ABA.

senquin

06 Apr 2016, 7:08 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
what exactly is the self entitled victim mentality
This idea that everyone and everything is out to discriminate against autistic people. This idea of neurotypical privilege is another example. Another example is believing that teaching autistic people "eye contact" is cruel or that eye contact is society being too judgemental. These are some examples. It's essentially using your so-called victim status to expect society to cater to you and coddle you. That's basically what it is.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 7:22 pm

"I like the idea of how the members want people to treat them right and have autism recognised as not being a disorder"

Hahaha, that can only be teens and 20-somethings, because let me tell you, after you've been in the workplace and been kicked around for a few years, not only will you understand that it is in fact a disorder, you will be grateful to be able to claim disabled status. 'Cause let me tall ya, kids, the world is not going to make any exceptions for you, the way they do for people with disabilities they can see. If you're not in a wheelchair, or otherwise obviously disfigured, as far as most people are concerned, you're faking it and you don't really have a problem. And don't think the law or the government are going to come to your defense when you're discriminated against. Autism is a very real neurological dysfunction, and you are not "normal" and never will be, so face that early and often and get used to it. That doesn't make you a bad person, any more than being born with a club foot would, but it is a handicap, and you will always struggle to function in a world that was not designed to facilitate your comfort.

senquin

06 Apr 2016, 10:30 pm

will@rd wrote:
"I like the idea of how the members want people to treat them right and have autism recognised as not being a disorder"

Hahaha, that can only be teens and 20-somethings, because let me tell you, after you've been in the workplace and been kicked around for a few years, not only will you understand that it is in fact a disorder, you will be grateful to be able to claim disabled status. 'Cause let me tall ya, kids, the world is not going to make any exceptions for you, the way they do for people with disabilities they can see. If you're not in a wheelchair, or otherwise obviously disfigured, as far as most people are concerned, you're faking it and you don't really have a problem. And don't think the law or the government are going to come to your defense when you're discriminated against. Autism is a very real neurological dysfunction, and you are not "normal" and never will be, so face that early and often and get used to it. That doesn't make you a bad person, any more than being born with a club foot would, but it is a handicap, and you will always struggle to function in a world that was not designed to facilitate your comfort.
Agree. Autism is a debilitating disease. The only way to function is overcome it. Autism is divisive to the core. Like I said, autism is like ISIS but without the killing or the religious fanaticism.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 10:42 am

senquin wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
what exactly is the self entitled victim mentality
This idea that everyone and everything is out to discriminate against autistic people. This idea of neurotypical privilege is another example. Another example is believing that teaching autistic people "eye contact" is cruel or that eye contact is society being too judgemental. These are some examples. It's essentially using your so-called victim status to expect society to cater to you and coddle you. That's basically what it is.
seems a bit overly sinical. Most people aren't that extreme. I don't know much about autism rights or ABA.but it seems to me both sides have there problems.the origins of ABA and Dr lovaas are a bit shady and even used ABA on gays and transsexuals. But autism pride goes to far as well sometimes.both are good in moderation

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 9:31 am

Yes! In fact, I find it odd that "Autistic culture" even exists as a concept beyond the purely individual perspective.

Autistic people typically have a unique, highly individualized culture of their own that is distinct from that of people in their environment as well as other Autistic people... so it's perfectly normal if you relate with other Autistic people as little as you relate with your average "neurotypical".

The following in an excerpt from Why the Tech Industry Needs More Autism that addresses the very individual nature of Autistic culture :

Quote:
Do Autistic people live in their own little world?

Autistic people do live in their own world, but not in the way most people think they do.

Autistic people are in their own world in the sense that they don’t have a cultural identity. “Neurotypicals” tend to identify with one or more specific cultures to the point that they’re incapable of distinguishing their individual identity from the group identity and their individual beliefs from the group’s beliefs.

Question the religious views of a Christian, a Jew or a Muslim and they all tend to feel personally offended, even though you’re merely questioning their views and not them as a person. The same applies to political views or any views held so dearly people identify with them.

Alongside group identity, “Neurotypicals” also develop shared faith / prejudice. “Faith” and “prejudice” and are respectively positive and negative labels given to the same attitude and behavior : believing something very strongly without being able to prove it. A key advantage of shared faith / prejudice is that it simplifies communication among people of the same cultural background. People know what to expect from each other and how to behave in another’s presence with barely any information at all. A key disadvantage, however, is that this strategy often fails when people come in contact with others who don’t share the same cultural faith / prejudice.

Autistic people lack the “implicit learning” mechanism that is responsible for this kind of group thinking, which is what makes us much more individual in our cognition, our emotions and our communication styles. While Autistic people do adopt a lot of behavior and knowledge from their environment like anyone else, they do so much more consciously and are consequently much less emotionally attached to this behavior and knowledge.

Autistic people therefore tend to hold less faith / prejudice than “Neurotypicals”, which — in a sense — makes them more flexible than “Neurotypicals”. A downside of this, however, is that this complicates communication with “Neurotypicals” and culturally isolates Autistic people from their environment.

In a way, Autistic people have their own unique individual cultures. In that sense, we truly do live in our own little worlds. We live in our own little worlds, not because we choose to or because we fail to understand the world we live in (some Autistic understand actually the world far better than many “Neurotypicals”), but because our inability to relate to the culture we live among sets us apart from that culture.

Consider how it would feel to be a North-American or Western-European living as the sole immigrant in a rural community in East-Asia, sub-Saharan Africa or South-America. That is exactly how a person with Autism experiences every day social interactions.

Ironicly, this makes Autistic people more adapted to living among people of a different culture. One one hand, it’s because people tend to be more forgiving about social mistakes and quirky behavior when faced with a foreigner. On another hand, that’s because people with Autism are so used to living among people who identify with a culture that feels alien to them that actually living among a foreign culture feels only marginally more alien than their every day experience.

Source

senquin wrote:
Agree. Autism is a debilitating disease.

I do not agree with that... at all!

Here's another excerpt from Why the Tech Industry Needs More Autism that addresses the concept of Autism as a disorder :

Quote:
Autism is NOT a disorder

In the DSM-5, Autism is classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder. However, this notion is controversial and outdated. Many people who have been diagnosed with Autism do not consider their Autism a disorder and scientists are increasingly starting to join their ranks.

Because Autism comes with both extreme weaknesses (flaws) and extreme strengths (gifts), scientists are starting to support the notion that Autism is just a natural but extreme variation in functioning rather than a disorder to be cured. This means that Autism — although at the edges of what qualifies as normal human behavior — is a part of normal human biodiversity.

It is also argued that many (if not all) symptoms associated with Autism are not so much caused by Autism but rather by Autistic people being forced to conform to the mould of a society designed for “Neurotypical” people. That means that these symptoms can and should be alleviated by allowing Autistic people to be themselves instead of forcing them to behave in ways that are alien to them. One might even argue that in a hypothetical society run by Autistic people, it’s the “Neurotypical” who appears to be have some kind of “disorder”.

From this perspective, labeling Autism as a disorder is not just wrong but damaging for the Autistic community, because it creates a false perception that people with Autistic are intrinsically less productive members of society, whereas many people with Autism are not just equally productive but even more productive than “Neurotypicals” when fostering an environment that allows their strengths to compensate for their weaknesses.

Changes in the scientific perception of Autism

Eugen Bleuler, a Swiss psychiatrist, was the first person to use the term Autism in 1911, as a reference to one group of symptoms of schizophrenia. Bleuler defined Autism as a detachment from reality associated with rich fantasy life:

“The […] schizophrenics who have no more contact with the outside world live in a world of their own. They have encased themselves with their desires and wishes […]; they have cut themselves off as much as possible from any contact with the external world. This detachment from reality with the relative and absolute predominance of the inner life, we term Autism.”

Bleuler described a rich variety of clinical manifestations of Autism: poor ability to enter into contact with others, withdrawal and inaccessibility (in the extreme cases, negativism), indifference, rigid attitudes and behaviors, deranged hierarchy of values and goals, inappropriate behavior, idiosyncratic logic, and a propensity to delusional thinking. This enumeration demonstrates that Autism is resilient to a simple medical definition because none of these manifestations is sufficient or necessary to diagnose Autism.

In the 1940s, researchers in the United States began to use the term “Autism” to describe children with emotional or social problems. Leo Kanner, a doctor from Johns Hopkins University, used it to describe the withdrawn behavior of several children he studied. His 1943 paper described 11 children who shared high intelligence, a profound preference for being alone and an “obsessive insistence on the preservation of sameness.” Kanner considered Autism a form of “childhood Schizophrenia.”

Around the same time, in 1944, Hans Asperger — an Austrian pediatrician — described four children in his practice who had difficulty in integrating themselves socially. Asperger identified in four boys a pattern of behavior and abilities that included “a lack of empathy, little ability to form friendships, one-sided conversations, intense absorption in a special interest, and clumsy movements”.

In spite of his unfortunate usage of the term “psychopathy”, Asperger passionately defended the value of Autistic individuals, writing :

“We are convinced, then, that Autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfill their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers.”

Asperger called these children “little professors” because of their ability to talk about their favorite subject in great detail. Asperger noticed that many of the children he identified as being Autistic used their special talents in adulthood and had successful careers. One of them became a professor of astronomy and solved an error in Newton’s work he had originally noticed as a student. Another one of Asperger’s patients was the Austrian writer and Nobel Prize in Literature laureate, Elfriede Jelinek.

Nevertheless, Asperger’s paper was published during wartime and in German, so it was not widely read elsewhere. For several decades, Kanner’s notion of as a form of “childhood Schizophrenia” persisted in academic literature, and psychoanalysts typically blamed emotionally emotionally distant mothering (known as the “refrigerator mom” theory of Autism). This theory is considered debunked by (almost?) all experts today.

In his 1961 work The Myth of Mental Illness, Thomas Szasz famously argued that what is commonly qualified as mental illness is merely a deviation from societal norms. Szasz argued that mental illness is a metaphor and not a genuine disease, that it is merely a way of dealing with problematic people in society. “Psychiatry is conventionally defined as a medical specialty concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of mental diseases,” he wrote. “I submit that this definition, which is still widely accepted, places psychiatry in the company of alchemy and astrology and commits it to the category of pseudoscience. The reason for this is that there is no such thing as ‘mental illness.’” By the late 1960s, he was perhaps the most famous psychiatrist in America. However, he was also the most despised among peers. This, and his theories being rooted in the discredited field of psychoanalysis, resulted in his work usually being either ignored or vehemently attacked.

In 1971, Israel Kolvin conducted seminal research that highlighted the distinction between Autism and Schizophrenia, which influenced the decision to include Autism and Schizophrenia as two separate categories in in the DSM-III. Still, most of Kanner’s description of Autism wasn’t challenged until Asperger’s research was referenced in a 1981 paper, Asperger’s syndrome: a clinical account, by English researcher Lorna Wing.

Objective criteria for diagnosing Autism soon followed, as did a clear separation from childhood schizophrenia, although it was not until 1991 that an authoritative translation of Asperger’s work was made (by developmental psychologist Uta Frith), which officially introduced Asperger’s work to the English speaking world. Following this publication, the early 1990’s marked the beginning of a gradual change of the perception of Autism towards a very diverse spectrum condition.

In 1997, Professor of developmental psychopathology Simon Baron-Cohen (a cousin of actor and comedian Sacha Baron Cohen) developed the empathising–systemising theory, which suggests that people may be classified on the basis of their scores along two dimensions: empathizing (E) and systemizing (S). Baron-Cohen suggested that the typical male brain is has a stronger affinity with systemising and the typical female brain has a stronger affinity with empathising.

Baron-Cohen further suggested that people with Autism show stronger affinity with systemizing over empathizing compared with their “Neurotypical” peers (irrespective of sex). This led to the conceptualisation of Autism as an “extreme of the typical male brain”. Later, in their 2008 study, Bernard Crespi and Christopher Badcock expanded upon Baron-Cohen’s theory and conceptualized Psychosis as an “extreme of the typical female brain” and the diametrical opposite of Autism.

Note that Psychosis being the “diametrical opposite of Autism” doesn’t mean that Autism and Psychosis are mutually exclusive. It merely means is that they are distinct and radically different brain strategies that are associated with respectively extreme Masculinity and extreme Femininity. While some individuals can be considered as purely Autistic or purely Psychotic, others experience symptoms of both Autism and Psychosis. Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder are typical examples where Autistic and Psychotic symptoms co-occur. The exact differences and similarities between these different “conditions” nevertheless remain very poorly understood.

By the late 1990s, online groups of Autistic persons started publicly defending the notion that that Autism is but a variation on the neurological norm and should be recognized and respected as a social category on a par with gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Since the beginning of the 21st century, this concept is now increasingly picked up by scientists as well, although it’s still considered controversial and thus far from universally accepted.

With recent works like Paris Williams’s 2012 publication Rethinking Madness and Wouter Kusters’s 2014 Philosophy of Madness, a similar paradigm shift has begun involving Psychosis — the “opposite” of Autism. ADHD has also been mentioned in this context, and the term neurodiversity has been coined in reference to a more general application of this concept, roughly echoing the ideas of Szasz many decades after they were first voiced.

Meanwhile, Olga Bogdashina’s little known 2003 publication is one of the first scholarly works to accurately describe Autism in all its diversity and accurately correlate Autistic behavior with corresponding emotions and cognitive styles. This work is the first of several to provide an in depth analysis of the many subtleties and nuances found in the language and perception of Autistic people.

Source

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 9:39 am

lembowman wrote:
I was diagnosed with autism when I was four years old. Now I am in my mid-teens and I have been looking at how the internet sees autism. I came across the autistic rights movement when I was 15. I like the idea of how the members want people to treat them right and have autism recognised as not being a disorder, but I feel I don't fit in with the autistic culture. I just think I don't meet the criteria for it because:

1. I rarely, if ever, stim. As a kid, I used to stim quite a bit (mostly spinning round objects), but I don't do it so much now that I'm a teenager. I don't even own a single stim toy. (I am pro-stim btw)

2. I have learned to cope with my sensory issues and anxiety very well over the years. They were very bad when I was a kid, but now they are only mild and under control.

3. I'm not that offended by the concept of curing autism (it does bug me a bit), but I do think we should be accepting it more as a difference.

4. Autistic culture supporters seem to only ever talk about autism. I prefer varied conversations and if I were an autistic culture supporter, I would talk about so much more than autism (e.g. what I am doing in my life etc).

5. Spelling autism with a capital A REALLY bugs me because it's not a person's name or a brand, unlike Asperger syndrome, which was named after Hans Asperger. I get that it's because people identify with the culture, much like how deaf people use "Deaf" if they identify with their culture.

6. I sometimes worry about what people will think if they find out I'm autistic.

Just so you know, I am anti-Autism Speaks. I don't feel it's right to research into a cure for autism, especially if you only cater towards families with autistic kids and not autistic people as a whole. I just want to know if it's OK to be autistic and not embrace the culture, if there are any like-minded people here, please feel free to reply. Thanks :D

The world we all live in, is the world of the Normals. It is perfectly rational to adjust your mode of interaction to get along as smoothly with the Normal Folk as you can. Why make life harder for yourself?

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
The world we all live in, is the world of the Normals.

Normal? I'd call this world we live in anything but normal!

The world we all live in, is the world of the crazies!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

I guess I can't be openly Aspergian and NOT embrace autistic culture to some degree. I refuse to hide in a blue-lit, puzzle-themed closet and "pass" as a "normal" person, because that is just like lying and it emotionally, physically and mentally drains me. Being myself makes me happier, more energetic, and makes me feel less like four pounds of trash in a two-pound bag.

But some people aren't ready. And that's fine because I wasn't always ready, either. I didn't know as much as I do now, I wasn't even diagnosed until in my mid-20s, and at first I was terrified that even mentioning I'm an aspie would result in troll attacks filling my e-mails and people gathering in mobs outside my apartment door wanting to really kill me.

Autistic culture is standing up for your rights to be treated as fairy and justly as an NT, avoiding offensive words like "people with autism", not being a curbie or an anti-vaxxer, and telling everyone the truth about dehumanizing organizations like Autism Speaks. We shouldn't be ashamed of who we are.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 5:08 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
avoiding offensive words like "people with autism"

What makes "people with Autism" offensive?
What are the alternatives?

I personally take offense at Autism being considered a disorder, but I fail to see what could possibly be an issue with calling people with Autism "people with Autism"...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 6:45 am

senquin wrote:
will@rd wrote:
... the world is not going to make any exceptions for you, the way they do for people with disabilities they can see. If you're not in a wheelchair, or otherwise obviously disfigured, as far as most people are concerned, you're faking it and you don't really have a problem ...
This is the marrow of our situation. Unless they can see the cause for your special accommodations, co-workers will assume that you're just being a clown or a jerk, and not a person with any sort of developmental or perceptive disorder. People with depressive disorders get treated the same way.

By the way, autism is a disorder, and not a disease in the sense that it is not contagious - you can't "catch" autism from a person who already has it, and it can't be "cured" or allowed to run its course so that those afflicted can get well. Autism is a disorder that people are either born with, that develops over time, or some combination of both; and that stays with you for your entire life. Some of us develop compensatory behaviors, such as avoiding social situations and environmental factors that exacerbate our conditions; but many of us retreat entirely an give up completely. While this is not to say that everyone with autism is capable of living a relatively normal life (most of us probably can't), it does mean that some of us who can function have given up trying, and that's a Very Sad Thing, indeed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2016, 7:01 am

aspiesavant wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
avoiding offensive words like "people with autism"

What makes "people with Autism" offensive?
What are the alternatives?

I personally take offense at Autism being considered a disorder, but I fail to see what could possibly be an issue with calling people with Autism "people with Autism"...

Hello,

With autism can be seen as offensive because it erodes identity. Here's a good post from one of the U.K. Research organisations: http://crae.ioe.ac.uk/post/130542870298 ... -autism-or

My view is that there is no single autistic culture worldwide, there is large variety and that is fine. The attitudes in one part of the U.K are very different from another.

I won't declare anything wrong, but there are often ways to approach things better. For example, the change of languages from with autism to autistic can help parents etc to be more accepting and stop them being so desperate for cures.

Ultimately, I am comfortable in my identity as an autistic person and i will defend it. I tried passing for and masking and it didn't work out, I got ill and ended up with more challenges than I started with. My aim now is to be autistically happy and I'm still learning that what means.

However, I am the product of UK culture specific to my reason, I have solid friendships with people who don't mind how autie I am and I am accessing good support. I'm also employed with a good employer.

If any of those things changed then I'd have to adapt. But for now I'm giving this a go as everything else has failed or made me unwell.

'With autism' if fine if someone wishes fo identify themselves. But if you are referring to me or the wider UK population, autistic is a better term. It's the term the research supports too.

Hope that helps,

Jamie + Liom

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 8:57 am

SpacedOutAndSmiling wrote:
My view is that there is no single autistic culture worldwide

I would go as far as to say that every Autistic person / person with Autism / person on the spectrum has his / her own unique, highly individualized culture, which may or may not vary significantly from that of both the Neurotypicals in one's environment and other people on the spectrum.

I would go as far as to say that every person with Autism has a unique combination of strengths and weaknesses, which may result in disability, which may result in giftedness and which may result in a combination of both, but which doesn't require either disability or giftedness.

While I agree that there's many things to improve with respect to the public perception of Autism, I don't see a problem with terms like "Autism", "people with Autism", "Autistics". In fact, the use of different terms to refer to the Autistic spectrum only complicate matters, which is precisely why Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and other Autistic phenotypes are no longer explicitly defined by the DSM-V.

For example, the change of languages from with autism to autistic can help parents etc to be more accepting and stop them being so desperate for cures.

Maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker, but whatever nuance exists to distinguish "with Autism" from "Autistic" is totally lost on me. I tend to use both are synonyms and I'm pretty sure most (if not all) people in my environment use them as synonyms as well.

Ultimately, I am comfortable in my identity as an autistic person and i will defend it. I tried passing for and masking and it didn't work out, I got ill and ended up with more challenges than I started with. My aim now is to be autistically happy and I'm still learning that what means.

For me, it starts with embracing the notion that Autism is NOT a disability.

For me, it starts with embracing the notion that being Autistic - like being member of a particular gender or race - is something that is encoded in our genes, that comes with both weaknesses and strengths and that shapes us as unique (often quirky / eccentric) individuals.

For me, it starts with embracing the notion that Neurotypical people are equal to Autistic people, in the sense that neither is inherently disabled or inferior in comparison with the other.

For me, it starts with embracing the notion that the difference between Autistic people and Neurotypical people is like the difference between Linux and Windows.

However, I am the product of UK culture specific to my reason

I feel alien in almost any crowd.

I guess geeks (regardless of gender, race or country of origin) are the crowd wherein I feel least alien, although even among geeks I don't really fit in as much as other geeks.

Hope that helps

I still don't really grasp the distinction you're making between "Autistic" and "with Autism", but I think I know where you're coming from... and I definitely appreciate the effort you put into clarifying yourself!

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2016, 9:26 am

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on much of this. The language thing is a subtle part of English.

'With' implies separation, for example, I am sat on the sofa 'with' my phone. The phone is separate from me. I could leave it behind or change it for another phone.

'With autism" implies there is a person and there is autism and the two can (or should) be separated. With many parents they only really seem to make progress once they accept the autism is just part of their child. Eg, rather than fight it and see if as an enemy, come to the understanding it's just a set of traits which brings with it strengths and weaknesses.

Many people (but not all) who I encounter using 'with autism' language use it as a judgement. Eg, a phone with a broken screen.

Autistic is identity first, for me, identify as 'autistic' means I consider myself a complete and whole person as I am. I am not broken.

This leads into something called the social model of disability. I become a disabled person when the environment around me is not supportive of my specific impairments. For example, I am light sensitive and most places I find uncomfortable bright and that effects my ability to do things.

I think we're mostly in agreement on this :)

My context is the UK and near london. Even in other parts of the U.K. There is less acceptance etc. My parents (in Somerset) would object to me being called 'autistic' because they still believe that the best thing an autistic person can do is mask it.

Hope that helps to explain the language is use and why.

Jamie + Lion

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2016, 9:33 am

To use a similar example...

If I modify the environment (turn the lights down) or modify myself (wear shades) I stop being overwhelmed at the brightness and I am more able. I can chat for longer or spend more time in that location.

Autistic traits are not always disabling and in a nutshell this is why acceptance is so important. Once people accept autistic people more and stop getting so upset about 'how we act' and start being proactive to modify the environment the disability is much reduce.

A few months ago I was with friends on holiday in a restaurant. The lights were dimmed and started fo flicker in a way which was causing my speech to lock up. I was struggling.

My friends ask the restaurant if they could adjust the light slightly so it didn't Flickr. They did and within a short while I'd made a recovery and was able to continue my meal. They just changed the lighting a bit so it stopped flickering.

An autistic child may have started getting very upset at the lighting etc, I am lucky that my friends have a very good understanding of what I find difficult and will advocate for my needs to be respected.

A similar thing happened in my work environment with a load bleeper. My lined managed listened and did some investigating. Turns out the bleeper was extremely loud (beyond legal limits even) and once it was reduced everyone was happier. Because I was more sensitive I was able to improve the environment for everyone.

Hope that helps provide more examples etc. Sorry it's a bit off topics.