Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

Someone once said to me "you look like you have got aspergers"

What does it mean to 'look' like you have got it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:09 pm

If you've ever watched "Big Bang Theory," you got your answer.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you've ever watched "Big Bang Theory," you got your answer.

Never watched Big Bang theory :?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:31 pm

Nerdy? Geeky? I really don't know.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm

Maybe you have not much expression on your face or seem withdrawn or have an inward gaze or are clumsy and have bad posture or do things like wiggle your toes, tap your feet, nod your head, flick your fingers, etc. gaze at lights, spinning objects, stare at the ceiling, look out the corner of your eyes, not look at other peoples eyes, don't look at other people when you talk to them or have an exited way of talking about things while not looking at the person you are talking to etc.

Last edited by Marybird on 16 Mar 2016, 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:40 pm

Anyone else think about- "if you met one Aspie you've met One.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:43 pm

There is a certain glazed look of introspection you can see

Also introverted body language, not looking at the eyes

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:45 pm

There is something about my demeanour that does seem to attract a certain kind of attention. I'm one of those adults that even children who I have never met before have no qualms being disrespectful to. I guess it's the slightly odd gait (bouncy toe walker) and always averted gaze. Even if there is a constant stream of people walking past, it will always be me that gets some teasing remark or other off the cheeky ones.

I've also seen people refer to an "Aspie stare." I can see where that might come from, due to the lack of eye contact - I often 'glaze over' when I'm concentrating on listening to someone.

Kirbykid529
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2016, 8:51 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Someone once said to me "you look like you have got aspergers"

What does it mean to 'look' like you have got it?

Some people are introverted intellectual empaths who are in tune with subconciously compiled databases of vibes. I always just know when someone fits certain diagnosis criteria. Dislexic people are the easiest for me to tell, for some reason, even though I've never had it.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

It's been said that Autistics tend to have rounder faces than NTs. A NT face would look like 0, while an Autistic face would be more o shaped. I fit that criteria.

Also, because Autistics do not facially express as much as a NT, we are less prone to wrinkles! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm

I have a face like a 0.

I don't "look" Aspie though. I look more like a person with learning difficulties, or high stupidity.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 10:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I have a face like a 0.

I don't "look" Aspie though. I look more like a person with learning difficulties, or high stupidity.

That's why I said "tend to have". :) It's a generalization, not a rule.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 11:30 pm

Many Aspies, including me, also have large eyes.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 12:00 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Many Aspies, including me, also have large eyes.

There is an overall trend for autistics to be more child-like in appearance. Rounder faces, large eyes, small chins and a general "kid-ness". Perhaps some NT subcontiously recognize these features as autistic, and thus people with these features "look" autistic.

Nachtkrieger822
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2016, 1:03 am

Ever since I was in middle school, I always got the "Are you okay?" or "Why do you always look angry?". For the longest time I could never understand why people where asking me this on a regular basis. Even now as an adult people "on the street" will tend to avoid interaction with me; I can only assume this is because I still always look angry.

It is entirely possible the person that commented on you looking like you have aspergers knows another individual with some form of ASD and is judging off some trait of physical appearance of quirk, such as the lack of expression on one's face. It is a possibility that is their basis for the comment that "you look like you have got aspergers"

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 153 of 200 - Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
Officially ASD Level 1 - No Intellectual/Language Impairment, Unofficially I say I'm an Aspie

Seid ihr das essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger

Looking
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2016, 1:19 am

Marybird wrote:
Maybe you have not much expression on your face or seem withdrawn or have an inward gaze or are clumsy and have bad posture or do things like wiggle your toes, tap your feet, nod your head, flick your fingers, etc. gaze at lights, spinning objects, stare at the ceiling, look out the corner of your eyes, not look at other peoples eyes, don't look at other people when you talk to them or have an exited way of talking about things while not looking at the person you are talking to etc.

That's me to 'T'.
(Any idea what the 'T' refers to?)