Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

De_Zeurkous
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2005, 4:30 pm

Have you ever played any games which really scare you?

Postively:

DooM (original)

Negatively:

Metroid (original) <-- this one is nice at the beginning, but begins to scare many people i know, myself included, after 20-30 minutes or so. Play it and you'll see what i mean.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 4:48 pm

Doom was pretty scary, in a cool way - the suddenness of the alien attacks right in your face coupled with the tense sound scheme makes it pretty effective. I cant think of any others with that kind of immediacy off the top of my head though.

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

De_Zeurkous

20 May 2005, 4:51 pm

duncvis wrote:
Doom was pretty scary, in a cool way - the suddenness of the alien attacks right in your face coupled with the tense sound scheme makes it pretty effective. I cant think of any others with that kind of immediacy off the top of my head though.

That's exactly why i play DooM almost every day :D

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 5:02 pm

Theres a UT2004 mod that scares me, but thats more cause a super monster sometimes spawns right in front of you!

De_Zeurkous

20 May 2005, 5:08 pm

BlackLiger wrote:
Theres a UT2004 mod that scares me, but thats more cause a super monster sometimes spawns right in front of you!

Actually i have a similar thing with ExtremeDark from the original Unreal epsiode. Really scary. Sometimes even negatively. Some CoOp server admins like to spawn a respawning searchlight actor at the beginning, but i don't like that becuz IMNSHO it takes all the fun away.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 11:17 pm

Ok, does anyone know of the game Stretch Panic for PS2. There was this boss, that had like these cute little chikies, and she'd posess them.

It wasn't scary, as much as it was upsetting. Cuz I was like "NOOO! NOT THE CUTE CHICKIES!! :cry:"

So yeah, the game aside from that is really cool, but that boss..just disturbs me.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 2:48 am

I'm a big fan of the resident evil series. ReMake (the first Resident Evil, Gamecube version) is probably the scariest IMO.

Resident Evil 4 (the newest one in the series) is really good, but probably the least scary, as you have unlimited saves and retries, and plenty of ammo and weapons, plus a better aiming system. Its more of an action game than a survival horror, even though it does have its creepy moments.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 7:06 am

Alot of games scare me. Metroid does, because it gives me the feeling that I am alone in the universe and everything I encounter is an enemy. :cry:

De_Zeurkous

21 May 2005, 7:29 am

Psychlone wrote:
Alot of games scare me. Metroid does, because it gives me the feeling that I am alone in the universe and everything I encounter is an enemy. :cry:

Yes, exactly! Especially things like the entrances to the Chozo Vaults in Norfair, the elevators to the HideOut's of Ridley and Kraid, and what scares me the most is Monument Bridge. Happily crossing the first column shaft of Brinstar, nice music, and then the door at the top. A normal hallway, a (already as usual scary) hall what looks like an entrance to a Chozo Vault and then... 2 metal statues of horrific monsters (Ridley and Kraid), cold as ice and looking ready to attack. And that combined with the very scary music (just a few simple tones, but ice cold just like the statues)... i have had nightmares about it :cry:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 12:08 pm

That board game Operation scares me. Specifically, the loud noise.

I like Metroid a lot, and it's never been too scary. I can't remember what video games have scared me, although I remember a few. I think the last battle in Zelda II scared me a bit at the time.

De_Zeurkous

21 May 2005, 12:37 pm

anbuend wrote:

I like Metroid a lot, and it's never been too scary. I can't remember what video games have scared me, although I remember a few. I think the last battle in Zelda II scared me a bit at the time.

I like Metroid a lot too, but sometimes it's just too scary for me (and believe me, something isn't scary for me very quickly, it takes a lot for me to be scared). But i've recently found a solution to that: i made an ogg file of the music of Brinstar, and when it does get scary, i take the sound offline (emulator :twisted:) on LaagDrave (old games system), and just play that music on ZeurComp (primary workstation), so i always have happy music in the background 8)7

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 4:30 pm

anbuend wrote:

It scared me too. My mom found a way to cut one of the cords to turn off the sound, but not the light. Unfortunetly, it's kind of hard to tell which cord goes to what.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 4:37 pm

Shadowman scared me back in the day.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 6:15 pm

I always hated the third level in Dark forces where the Sewer Creatures jump out at you, not to mention the thought of crawling through a sewer is repulsive to my OCD.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 9:08 pm

I used to be terrified of the werewolf in Transylvania (ancient black-and-white Mac adventure game, actually one of the first graphical Mac games). It was this scary black silhouette that would pop up on a completely arbitrary schedule, and if you didn't respond immediately, it meant instant death of all the careful planning and mapping and collection of items you'd done throughout the game. :(

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2005, 6:21 am

I don't scare that easily as in truely scare. I can be made to jump really easily though.