Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:45 pm

zkydz wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I wonder what non-dysfunctional worlds god created since his big mistake with humanity?

God had nothing to do with how life turned out on this planet. What you see are physical and chemical processes which operate according to physical laws. The human race is a happenstance. If it were possible to turn the clock back four billion years, there is a good chance that living beings like us would not happen. We are a successful primate species. So far so good. Since physical laws have no ethical content whatsoever, your displeasure is the consequence of subjective factors. The are no moral or ethical facts. Physical laws imply no moral or ethical standards. There are only moral and ethical judgments made by people who either made up the moral and ethical rules or received them from people who made them up. All there really is energy which flows through spacetime.

Read Epicurus on this matter. He deconstructs the idea of the gods easily. The stumbling block is the existence of evil.

If god can prevent evil why is there evil If god can not prevent evil, why should we worship it. If god can prevent evil but refuses to do so, that god is malicious. If god neither wishes to prevent evil nor can it, then why bother with god?
Just kinda curious as to why you are intent on proving a subjective belief is a bad thing and wrong. Why is this such a problem with all people. Nobody is happy unless they believe as everybody else does. Homogeneity at all costs.

I am overjoyed that I do not partake of the nonsense that hobbles, cripples and kills much of the human race. I do not believe as everyone else does. That is because I am intelligent, rational, logical and a pain in the ass. I am the little boy who told the Emperor that he was bare ass naked.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:56 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
zkydz wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I wonder what non-dysfunctional worlds god created since his big mistake with humanity?

God had nothing to do with how life turned out on this planet. What you see are physical and chemical processes which operate according to physical laws. The human race is a happenstance. If it were possible to turn the clock back four billion years, there is a good chance that living beings like us would not happen. We are a successful primate species. So far so good. Since physical laws have no ethical content whatsoever, your displeasure is the consequence of subjective factors. The are no moral or ethical facts. Physical laws imply no moral or ethical standards. There are only moral and ethical judgments made by people who either made up the moral and ethical rules or received them from people who made them up. All there really is energy which flows through spacetime.

Read Epicurus on this matter. He deconstructs the idea of the gods easily. The stumbling block is the existence of evil.

If god can prevent evil why is there evil If god can not prevent evil, why should we worship it. If god can prevent evil but refuses to do so, that god is malicious. If god neither wishes to prevent evil nor can it, then why bother with god?
Just kinda curious as to why you are intent on proving a subjective belief is a bad thing and wrong. Why is this such a problem with all people. Nobody is happy unless they believe as everybody else does. Homogeneity at all costs.

I am overjoyed that I do not partake of the nonsense that hobbles, cripples and kills much of the human race. I do not believe as everyone else does. That is because I am intelligent, rational, logical and a pain in the ass. I am the little boy who told the Emperor that he was bare ass naked.

That's good for you. But it is an elitist point of view since, instead of saying why you think an idea is good for you. But, almost all of it was tearing one thing down to support yourself. It's something I see a lot of.

It's almost never, "I believe this for this reason."

It's almost always contentious and with a point of view of looking down on another such as saying it is hobbling and such. It's almost always some sort of reason from some cobbled set of ideals that say that the other is wrong.

People don't like it when the radical religious followers do it, so why is it ok for an atheist to do it?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:27 pm

zkydz wrote:
That's good for you. But it is an elitist point of view since, instead of saying why you think an idea is good for you. But, almost all of it was tearing one thing down to support yourself. It's something I see a lot of.

It's almost never, "I believe this for this reason."

It's almost always contentious and with a point of view of looking down on another such as saying it is hobbling and such. It's almost always some sort of reason from some cobbled set of ideals that say that the other is wrong.

People don't like it when the radical religious followers do it, so why is it ok for an atheist to do it?

What shall I say to the Marching Morons who are either in charge of wrecking the world or voting for such people. I am surrounded by mostly idiots. I can do two things: I can be silent about it or I can tell others what I am seeing. Which shall it be. I won't be silent, that is for sure.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 10:05 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
I can do two things: I can be silent about it or I can tell others what I am seeing..

How about say nothing if you have noting nice to say? You think you're right. There is no way of knowing. But, you want to say anything you want regardless of circumstance? You think it's ok to bag on people just because you think you hold the superior position?

BaalChatzaf wrote:
I won't be silent, that is for sure.
Oooops, closed off all avenues of discourse by making that statement....so, nothing to see here....

You do realize that sounds just like every bigot I have ever known. And, I grew up a lot in the south in the 60s.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 10:07 pm

here we go.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 10:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
here we go.

In what way? It is a bigoted position. It reserves no rights for others and their opinions. It reserves no rights to independent thought and belief.

It is flatly stated that the poster will not be quiet. The poster says he/she is right, everybody else is wrong. That is proselytizing.

And, I see them a lot on the trains in NYC...telling everybody their opinion regardless.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm

zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
here we go.

In what way? It is a bigoted position. It reserves no rights for others and their opinions. It reserves no rights to independent thought and belief. It is flatly stated that the poster will not be quiet. The poster says he/she is right, everybody else is wrong. That is proselytizing. And, I see them a lot on the trains in NYC...telling everybody their opinion regardless.

was not criticizing you, but expressed discomfort at the contention. I just let people say whatever they want, knowing that in the grand scheme of things it is of limited value, thus not something to pay too much attention to.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 10:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
here we go.

In what way? It is a bigoted position. It reserves no rights for others and their opinions. It reserves no rights to independent thought and belief. It is flatly stated that the poster will not be quiet. The poster says he/she is right, everybody else is wrong. That is proselytizing. And, I see them a lot on the trains in NYC...telling everybody their opinion regardless.

was not criticizing you, but expressed discomfort at the contention. I just let people say whatever they want, knowing that in the grand scheme of things it is of limited value, thus not something to pay too much attention to.

Yeah...it's one of the reasons I respect you so much. Well, you and a few others.

It gets under my skin because of the things I did see with that sort attitude growing up. I should let it go. And, that was the tightest edit I could pull off. I'm going to step off this.

Turning off notifications.....

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 10:19 am

zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
here we go.

Yeah...it's one of the reasons I respect you so much. Well, you and a few others.

It gets under my skin because of the things I did see with that sort attitude growing up. I should let it go. And, that was the tightest edit I could pull off. I'm going to step off this.

Even freedom of speech is not a flawless notion.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 1:40 am

Deltaville wrote:
zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
here we go.

Even freedom of speech is not a flawless notion.

no such thing as an unmixed blessing in this world.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:05 pm

aspiesavant wrote:

Morality is an inherent sense of fairness and rectitude. Long before there were religions humans had rules of right behavior for their clan or extended family or their community. Some non-human primates such as chimps and bonobos also exhibit a primitive sense of fairness and rectitude. I think moral categories are a product of some deep rooted laws in the way our brains work. Morality has a biological origin and this is a result of a line of evolution.

Elephants also seem to exhibit some kind of morality and compassion. They seem to mourn their dead. I think it is biology at work, and not supernatural revelations from God.