Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2016, 7:53 pm

I have depression and I've spoken to several professionals in the past who told me that what I have is not ADHD or anything, but that the reason I have problems concentrating is because of my depression (which I've had for the past 6 years).

I'm a junior in college (a commuter too), and before this semester started I initially was looking forward to my classes. However, I've yet to have done anything productive school-work wise during any weekends so far. I don't know why, but I just can't get myself to do anything. I've ended up always doing my homework the morning its due. In one class, a class I would normally enjoy and find fun, I'm ranked last in because I was the only one who failed the first exam. It's a class that I chose (even though there were "easier" professors out there w/ noncumulative exams/open-book exams)because I thought it'd be good to befriend the professor since he's sort of head of the department for my major. I made sure that my schedule would permit me to be able to visit his office hours, however I've only visited him twice; once in the beginning, and the second time after I failed the midterm). A month ago he had advised me to do extra practice problems and I have yet to have gotten to it. I had spring break to do it to, but I never did it. So basically, I've left a horrible impression on him. I don't do anything at home but netflix and just search the web. Somehow time is just flying by so fast. I don't have friends neither, which one may think offers no distractions, but that's not the case for me I guess. I just don't know what I'm doing with my life.

I sought out therapy and stuff right before the semester started and I thought it was a good thing - that I was being proactive - but I ended up dropping it right before spring break because I couldn't really follow through with it. It was cognitive behavioral therapy and I would be given some homework assignments there too, but I've rarely completed them, and I don't know why but I didn't really talk much to him neither during our sessions. I dropped it because I was just wasting both my time and my therapist's.

But again, I thought I was being proactive with all of this but all of a sudden this has been the most unproductive semester of my life. I was no spectacular student prior to this, but I had managed to get stuff done efficiently on time back then and did decently in my classes. I don't know if my mind just decided to slack off and be lazy to "treat myself" for having taken those proactive steps, but it's so ridiculous - I'm currently borderline in all 5 of my classes. This was actually the first semester that I came in with actual goals, but I don't know what happened.

I apologize if this post seems kinda incoherent/flows oddly, but it took me an hour (no exaggeration) just trying to the find the words to say all this. I'm not even satisfied with what I came up with, but if anyone would like me to be more specific in some aspect, I'd appreciate it. There's just something weird going on with my head right now and I just can't find the words - maybe all this is too vague for me to explain, but again, if you'd like specifics maybe I'd have a better response.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm

My suggestion is to do your homework first and then "reward" yourself with Netflix and web surfing. If you get in the habit of doing your homework first and then using Netflix as a reward for completing the homework you'll find the homework gets done and the Netflix is more enjoyable because it doesn't have the guilt of procrastination associated with it. It's a matter of self-control on that front, and self-control isn't something people are born with, it's a trained ability-- that technique is good training.

Once you've been successful at that you'll find the depression is lessened because you'll feel productive. It won't cure it, but it will be a step in the right direction, and if you've taken one step might as well take another... :D

north404

10 Apr 2016, 2:49 pm

See that's the thing my therapist and I were trying to work on but I could just never do it. I was a decent student before, but I don't know why I've just given up this semester. What you and and my therapist suggested are very obvious methods, but I don't know why I can't bring myself to do it. I don't know what I was hoping to get from posting this, as this is all entirely on me, but maybe I'm only trying to vent. It just sucks.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 3:31 pm

I understand. It's like a mental fog. When I'm like that I don't want to do anything, my limbs are heavy and I can't concentrate.

I've tried a different method of coping and it seemed to work for me at the time. Although, I had no homework that needed to be done at the time.

Try making yourself do something metal or physical that you enjoy. Get your body and your brain to become more active by doing an activity that you actually used to derive pleasure from. For me it was painting a picture or playing the guitar.