Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Reclusive A
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2016, 6:25 pm

I'm an Aspie mom to 3 kids who are likely all on the spectrum as well. My oldest has a diagnosis and my younger kids are in the middle of getting one. I'm 41 and diagnosed at 40. I'm married to my husband of 8 years and I think he might have some traits as well. I live in a place (wouldn't be wise to say exactly where as there are some people I would rather not know things about me) that is extremely intolerant of anyone who doesn't pretend that life is happy and perfect. I've lived here for 10 years and haven't been able to make a single friend, other than my husband. It is truly a different culture. I've lived in quite a few states (USA) and 2 foreign countries, but have never felt as much of an outcast as I do here. My honesty and straightforward approach which has been accepted everywhere else, is not welcome or appreciated. There's one very predominant religion here and while we have the best snow on earth, I get the freeze all year long. I'd move if I could, but there is a custody issue preventing it. The services for people on the spectrum are mediocre to damaging and non-existent for adults. At least what I've found so far. I am a very loyal, compassionate and fun person to be around and I enjoy my husband and kids, but I've never been so isolated in my life. Online communities are great, but I've found I really need human contact and people I can trust. I would love to meet another Aspie where I live, but it would be wonderful if I had support from anyone. Wow, just read what I wrote and I can see how much life has changed for me. Sorry to be so glum. I love horses and communicate with them in a way I can't with humans, I love wire sculpture, rocks and gems, many different art media and I'm always learning new things. I love animals in general and love nature and want a home that combines those things. I hope someday to have my own little farm where I can have horses near me all the time. I love to garden and repurpose anything I can. I've been shooting since I was 8 and am a decent marksman. I have serious issues with the monotheistic religions and organized religion in general. I have more empathy than I can handle at times and I sure could use some myself. So, hi everyone!. I don't spend a lot of time on the computer, but this site is where I come to most. So I'm officially here now and I hope I make some worthwhile contributions.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 9:35 pm

Hey Reclusive A welcome. :sunny:

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2016, 2:05 am

Welcome, sorry we can't reach out in person since you said that you'd like someone around.

Wow, you described almost my exact situation. Except that I don't have kids and I've been married a lot longer, 41 years. But I also have lived in several states and two other countries. We moved to our present location five years ago and I don't have a single friend, except for like you said, my husband, and I have three dogs.

One of the countries I lived in was mainland China, in one of their small "Midwest" provinces. I loved living there because I didn't have to talk because I did not know the language. No one cared that I didn't talk, and it didn't really bother me that I couldn't understand what people were saying. I tend to tune people out anyway. But the people there were so hospitable. We were invited into many homes for meals, we played games, cooked, and traveled with each other. And no one cared that I didn't talk.

But where I live now, I feel like an outcast. No one even tries to approach me and I am not out going enough to try to approach anyone. I can sit down at an event where my husband can't sit next to me, like a graduation, and the entire row of chairs by me will be empty. No one will even sit in the same row, much the less next to me. I suppose it doesn't help that I am a different race than everyone else where I live. It shouldn't make a difference, but I guess it does. What hurts so much is that if I saw someone new, who didn't fit in, I would definitely sit next to them. I wouldn't be great at making conversation, but I would sit by them so they would not not be alone. This has happened to me many times in the last five years and I have yet to find someone to welcome me. It's like I am invisible or have the plague. Even in a church this happens to me. The entire pew I am in will remain empty except for me. Aren't people at a church supposed to be welcoming??? So I have totally given up on trying to make any friends. I do my part time job at a computer, I come home and I binge watch on Netflicks. My dogs are happy to see me though.

Anyway I hope you can find here the connectedness you seek.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:40 pm

Welcome, hope you enjoy it here!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 6:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)