SJW - What would be a good literal name for them?

Page 3 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 7:59 pm

AspE wrote:
Well, we weren't the last ones to support segregation.

Actually, the SJ crowd supports segregation right now.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 8:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
AspE wrote:

Who's that?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 10:54 pm

AspE wrote:
Who's that?

The Social Justice people, the same ones you've basically been denying the existence of in multiple threads...

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 12:56 am

AspE wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
AspE wrote:

Who's that?

Lots of college and university students, as well as armchair activists and professional complainers.

They want separate housing from whites, which is insanity. MLK Jr. would be rolling in his grave over this.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 8:12 am

I think I was wrong for getting on this bandwagon. Whenever you're doing something positive, there's always someone out there doing what you're doing, but doing it like a jackass. It's always easy to edit cases of the latter together to discredit the former.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 8:15 am

Dox47 wrote:
AspE wrote:
Who's that?

The Social Justice people, the same ones you've basically been denying the existence of in multiple threads...

I was wondering if you could be more specific.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:35 am

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25748/

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 1:15 pm

OK, two points:

1. That's not segregation, that's a room or floor where black people can hang out together.
2. How does this make them SJWs? Are all black people SJWs?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 4:10 pm

AspE wrote:
OK, two points:

1. That's not segregation, that's a room or floor where black people can hang out together.

It is segregation and a step back, universities are supposed to be open places. If they want to be segregated they can hire their own venue.

I was born in South Africa, and my father had to deal with segregated places like this when he met black leaders. The language used here, is actually very similar to the language used to justify apartheid, both grand and petty.

No black people are not SJWs, most black people would never condone something this stupid. They fought hard in the 60s against this.

"Safe places" and "trigger warnings" have no clinical efficacy. These idea didn't come from the Black civil rights moment, but has infected some student groups, it is mainly pushed by certain pseudo-academics who are mostly white and middle class.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 4:29 pm

AspE wrote:

This isn't segregation, it's just a park where white people can hang out together, right?

I would call taking an entire floor of a building that is currently used by everyone, and proclaiming that from now on only people of X skin colour are allowed there to be a rather textbook case of segregation.

Quote:

On the first point, the langauge they use has the distinct odour of third wave intersectional feminism, their use of guilt and attempts at shaming as tactics in order to get what they want, as well as their profound lack of evidence for the various stripes of bigoted -isms that are supposedly rampant. I've seen a picture of the poop swastika, so I believe that's a thing that happened in some form. I'd like to see some pics of the white supremacist cult that was apparently operating out in the open, but which no one except BLM people saw. So rampant is all this racism, that the leader fo the Black Student Union at Kean Uni was caught sending racist threats to her fellow students from the Uni library herself , so she could incite some racial tensions where they must have been rather lacking before.

Oh, and there's also that bit in the list of demands:

Quote:
VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.

(this particular bit was from Missou, but many demands occour multiple times.)

And from where did you get the notion that all black people are SJWs? Certainly not from me. Heck, plenty of black people are actively calling calling them on their s**t.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:29 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
AspE wrote:
OK, two points:

It is segregation and a step back, universities are supposed to be open places. If they want to be segregated they can hire their own venue.

I was born in South Africa, and my father had to deal with segregated places like this when he met black leaders. The language used here, is actually very similar to the language used to justify apartheid, both grand and petty.

No black people are not SJWs, most black people would never condone something this stupid. They fought hard in the 60s against this.

"Safe places" and "trigger warnings" have no clinical efficacy. These idea didn't come from the Black civil rights moment, but has infected some student groups, it is mainly pushed by certain pseudo-academics who are mostly white and middle class.

Universities can be as open or closed as they wish, or both. Segregation was legal separation between races imposed by the government. Voluntary separation for various purposes is not racism or segregation in the historical sense of the word. Is the NAACP racist for focusing on black issues? No.

Just like if I tell you to shut up, that's not prohibiting your free speech.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

Next, we'll be arguing what the definition of 'is' is... :roll:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 4:35 am

F***heads.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:26 am

I saw a comment elsewhere that in older, simpler times, we would simply call them spoiled brats. I thought that actually hit really close to the mark. While I think spoiled brats is too general a definition, it does fit a good number of them very well.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:47 am

I saw a political comment on this phenomenon in the newspaper just yesterday. It was described as an unfortunate pairing of traditional leftist identity politics with young, overprivileged people who see themselves as customers.

The rationale goes like this: these people see for ex. universities as businesses and themselves as customers, therefore they expect the university to cater to both needs and wants. Because they pay a lot of money for education, they could be excused for thinking that.

Gone is the idea of a university as a temple to learning.

Because they are overprivileged children of a capitalist society, they think they are very important, and have no understanding of their own privilege. They don't understand the identity politics they hold so dear, because they have no concept of solidarity. Therefore they tend to hijack other people's causes. The white kids speak for the black kids, instead of listening to them, and the privileged black kids don't understand how privileged they are compared to other black kids, or even their own grandparents.

When everything is about identity, young people are divided, and have minimal understanding of the real politics that affect them. Because they cannot cooperate, they have minimal opportunity to influence anything real.

I would call them customer activists.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:37 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Next, we'll be arguing what the definition of 'is' is... :roll:

Yeah, let's not care what words mean.