Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 9:45 am

hurtloam wrote:
But I feel like the ideology isn't working. My friends are late 20s - early 40s and still single. People are seeing each other on a regular basis as acquaintances, but never finding anything deeper out. I find groups hard to interact with and I'm better one on one. In a group I always feel on the peripheral and left out. The quiet boring person. One in one I'm actually OK at conversation.

Well thank you for acknowledging I'm overstepping the mark with such like people. My best friend doesn't understand.

Ignore rds and do as your friend says. He was just lucky to find someone. If everyone does as he suggest then most people never end up in a relationship.
Dating isn't a relationship. Dating is to get to know each other well enough to be in a relationship.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 9:53 am

rdos wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
I'd like to hug you, but I'm sure I'd be overstepping something.

Hugs (and physical contact in general) are for relationships only, so you are definitely overstepping it. :wink:

Yeah because friends and family never Hug or touch :roll:

You're so irritating

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 9:54 am

Rdos is perferect example of arrogance

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 10:11 am

Physical contact is for whenever both parties want it; it's noöne else's business.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 11:36 am

sly279 wrote:
Amity wrote:
Being completely comfortable with who you are is the type of confidence that I think is attractive.

How do women see that kind of confidence though?

Being comfortable with who you are doesn't translate into confidence with women which is the confidence I often see women saying they find attractive

I use to be comfortable with who I was :(

Its a balancing act, self aware but not displaying self consciousness.

For example: In a group situation you make a social mistake yet don't make a big deal about it, because you are okay with that part of yourself, it's just one aspect of your identity, you note it and will aim to do it differently next time.

To be all the things to yourself that you might hope to find in a partner, for example loving, accepting of flaws, respectful, forgiving, reflective, eager to learn, unafraid to be humble, realistic etc.

To know what you need and want in life, be proactive to make that happen without arrogance or lack of consideration for others and not rely on a partner to provide what you need to be healthy and content.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
rdos wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
I'd like to hug you, but I'm sure I'd be overstepping something.

Hugs (and physical contact in general) are for relationships only, so you are definitely overstepping it. :wink:

Yeah because friends and family never Hug or touch :roll:

You're so irritating

Nope, I don't hug friends, but I make an exception for daughter.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 6:39 pm

sly279 wrote:
Rdos is perferect example of arrogance

How do you know? I don't think you know me well enough to claim that.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 6:44 pm

sly279 wrote:
Ignore rds and do as your friend says. He was just lucky to find someone.

I don't think so. As I wrote a while back, I've succeeded with it twice.

sly279 wrote:
If everyone does as he suggest then most people never end up in a relationship.

You cannot know that without trying it.

sly279 wrote:
Dating isn't a relationship. Dating is to get to know each other well enough to be in a relationship.

That was not the point. The point was that you cannot combine the observation method with dating, and that's why that method will not have any dating.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

Amity wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Amity wrote:
Being completely comfortable with who you are is the type of confidence that I think is attractive.

How do women see that kind of confidence though?

Being comfortable with who you are doesn't translate into confidence with women which is the confidence I often see women saying they find attractive

I use to be comfortable with who I was :(

Its a balancing act, self aware but not displaying self consciousness.

For example: In a group situation you make a social mistake yet don't make a big deal about it, because you are okay with that part of yourself, it's just one aspect of your identity, you note it and will aim to do it differently next time.

To be all the things to yourself that you might hope to find in a partner, for example loving, accepting of flaws, respectful, forgiving, reflective, eager to learn, unafraid to be humble, realistic etc.

To know what you need and want in life, be proactive to make that happen without arrogance or lack of consideration for others and not rely on a partner to provide what you need to be healthy and content.

What I need and want is a partner to be content. So it's a catch 22

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 2:51 am

OK, back to confidence. This thread is getting de-railed. I was talking to a male friend about this and when he was interested in his now wife he said that he was confident in his musical skills and that was one way he tried to get her interested. If they were at someone's house he'd pick up their guitar and play a few tunes.

That isn't all he'd do, he did eventually ask her out, but that was one example of being confident about who you are around your crush.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 2:58 am

It also shows you'd better have good reasons to be confident.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 4:29 am

Spiderpig wrote:
It also shows you'd better have good reasons to be confident.

As long as you believe you are good at something, and people around you aren't trashing you, all you need is to believe it yourself. Besides, if you are around a stranger woman, she will not know if you are good at music or whatever you think you are good at, and you don't need to actually show your talent directly to her when first seeing her.

IOW, confidence doesn't need to have specific substance behind it. It's a way of thinking about yourself. If you think you are worthless, you will transmit that to girls around you, but if you think you are good and interesting you will transmit confidence.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

If you are not competent at something, you won't be confident at it - if yet you insist to be confident then you are being delusional.

In hurtloam's example, if he was a sh***y guitar player, 'confidence' in this case would be a delusion and would have backfired at him - look what happens to the untalented -yet confident- candidates in reality-shows musical competitions: Utter historical failures.

I personally don't believe in the confidence advise, it's a cliche BS, it is totally stupid, I believe that confidence is the result of successive recognized successes due to competence at something, ie those who are very confident in approaching women romantically are so due to previous successes with them (which are due to their attractiveness and their charm). Likewise, repeated failures due to incompetence will eventually result in lack of diffidence.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 5:15 pm

I wasn't talking about being confident in techniques to pick up 'chicks', instead I was referring to an inner/everyday confidence based on realistic skills/traits, not the ones you would like to have. Its not delusional if its real.
Attending guitar lessons will make you a better musician. Its a relative concept, you might only perfect and feel confident playing one or two tunes, but through the right experiences you have made tangible progress.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 3:51 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
If you are not competent at something, you won't be confident at it - if yet you insist to be confident then you are being delusional.

Yes, agreed. The problem today is that many people only regard success as being at the very top level of competence in some area, which naturally few people with be able to achieve. But if you lower your expectations, then you are likely to be competent at something. And confidence is not dependent on what others think is competence, but what YOU think is competence.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
In hurtloam's example, if he was a sh***y guitar player, 'confidence' in this case would be a delusion and would have backfired at him - look what happens to the untalented -yet confident- candidates in reality-shows musical competitions: Utter historical failures.

Agreed, and music is one of the fields where you typically need to be very competent to pass as good enough. I wouldn't bet on ever getting competent in that area. The expectations are just too high.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I personally don't believe in the confidence advise, it's a cliche BS, it is totally stupid, I believe that confidence is the result of successive recognized successes due to competence at something, ie those who are very confident in approaching women romantically are so due to previous successes with them (which are due to their attractiveness and their charm). Likewise, repeated failures due to incompetence will eventually result in lack of diffidence.

That doesn't fit my experience. Sure, at my current stage, it could very well be that my confidence is due to real success (after all, I have success in the operating system area, and also some in the ND research area). But that wasn't the case in high-school, and already at that stage, I was rather confident in the eye-contact game with girls. The only "competence" I could claim at that point was being best in class in math, and that was not a popular feature with girls.

Can't claim any direct charm, and I'm average looking.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 4:05 am

Quote:
And confidence is not dependent on what others think is competence, but what YOU think is competence.

I don't understand this part.

Competence is the ability to do something successfully, and in most cases, your competence at something is determined either based on the evaluation of other people who have expertise in the related skill or the reactions/evaluations of those who are on the receiving end (ie. audience of your singing..etc).

One can live in a delusion of being very competent at something while he's actually not.

So it is enough what YOU think is competence, OTHERS and RESULTS will determine whether you are competent or not.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 25 Apr 2016, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.