Does your dating profile come across as autistic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 6:35 am

Mine does, but this is by design.
I have dropped a few hints here and there, mainly by mentioning my most obvious traits and symptoms (in a positive light, obviously), but in such a way that you can only recognize them as what they are when you know what you are looking for.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 7:31 am

no offense but I'm actually surprised you're not attracting pedophiles because you're profile kinda makes you sound like a 5 year old.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

green0star wrote:
no offense but I'm actually surprised you're not attracting pedophiles because you're profile kinda makes you sound like a 5 year old.

I know I'm terrible at writing profiles. Maybe I should stick to tinder for a while.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 9:56 am

I just disabled my account. I'll be back when I can write something that won't make me seem like a five year old or a geek.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 1:56 pm

DevilKisses, I don't think your profile would have attracted pedophiles.

There just wasn't much to it that would attract anybody. And it's not reflective of what I see as the "real you."

You're going through a "self-conscious" phase at this point.

I almost wish you could go back to studying Finnish. I feel like you were happiest then.

Drone232
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2016, 7:53 pm

I have three dating profiles on three different websites: Eharmony, Christian Mingle, and Aspergersdatingsite. I openly tell on my website that I'm Aspergers and chronically shy, except on the latter site for obvious reasons. I haven't gotten any messages or anything, but its only been up for a week and I am hopeful.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

I would prefer my social profiles to include a reference to my autism. Better to offer up something of that importance than to wait for its inevitable discovery. Having said that, how to present it in a profile can be dicey. In a recent news report about something political I had done, I was quoted as having said only "Not bad for an Aspie, huh?" This simple sentence tied together something significant I had done with the fact that I am autistic. Either one gains from the influence of the other, or they are both significant in good ways.

I would suggest finding a way to make the same simple statement within a social profile, if the goal is to inform potential friends and partners of existing autism.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm

A dating online profile is just like posting a resume. What type of employer are you trying to attract? Tailor your dating profile to the kind of date you want to attract.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm

spinelli wrote:
A dating online profile is just like posting a resume. What type of employer are you trying to attract? Tailor your dating profile to the kind of date you want to attract.

I want to attract someone who is outgoing, charismatic, adventurous, spontaneous and edgy. I pretty much aattract the opposite.