I don't want to go to work anymore

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 10:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't agree with Sly on the fact that Europeans are "servants" to their government.

Most European countries have reasonable freedoms, in my opinion.

Your opinion is based on the fact that you've travelled to Europe and interacted with Europeans - I've also noticed you're a well read man, familiar with cultural socio and psychological variation. Opinions like his *usually* come from people who never set foot in Europe, know mostly nothing of our history and culture and believe everything they read on the internet (same way as some equality ignorant Europeans think you're all a bunch of loud obnoxious idiots :twisted: ).

It's understandable to a point, I used to wildly generalise before travelling and living abroad. A lot of stereotypes, particularly negative ones, come from lack of knowledge and a "deeper" (beyond the surface and appearances) understanding of things and people.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:18 pm

Today they told me we don't get lunches at 6 hours . But the law is 5 and 59 mins no lunch and 6 hours to 6 and 1 minute get 30 minute lunch

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:45 pm

sly279 wrote:
Today they told me we don't get lunches at 6 hours . But the law is 5 and 59 mins no lunch and 6 hours to 6 and 1 minute get 30 minute lunch

I believe if one works 6 hours you get two 15 min breaks, but no lunch.

If you work 8 hours then it is a 30 min lunch and 2 breaks.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm

It depends on the state.

In NY State, if one works six hours, it is required that one be allowed to take a 30-minute lunch.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It depends on the state.

In NY State, if one works six hours, it is required that one be allowed to take a 30-minute lunch.

with breaks too?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:56 pm

In NJ only meal periods are mandated by the Dept of Labor. Breaks are optional, though two 15s per 8 hours is the general standard. Here I think it's at over 6 hours you get a lunch of 30 min, then require an additional 30 when you get to 10hrs.

If I read correct, Sly works in customer service. This is an EXTREMELY rigid environment in most cases. I've worked in a few call centers myself. It's a nightmare if you hate rules lemme just say. They used to give us two 10min breaks and one 30 min break in an 8.5 hr shift in one I worked in for health insurance. And your schedule was generated each day and the times were all different. And if you went over your break, even by a minute, they would take a break away the next day as punishment. It was like a friggin sweatshop...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

I believe Sly works in a college bookstore.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 6:05 pm

beakybird wrote:
In NJ only meal periods are mandated by the Dept of Labor. Breaks are optional, though two 15s per 8 hours is the general standard. Here I think it's at over 6 hours you get a lunch of 30 min, then require an additional 30 when you get to 10hrs.

If I read correct, Sly works in customer service. This is an EXTREMELY rigid environment in most cases. I've worked in a few call centers myself. It's a nightmare if you hate rules lemme just say. They used to give us two 10min breaks and one 30 min break in an 8.5 hr shift in one I worked in for health insurance. And your schedule was generated each day and the times were all different. And if you went over your break, even by a minute, they would take a break away the next day as punishment. It was like a friggin sweatshop...

Wow. The hospital gets on us if we come back a minute early. And they get on us if we don't take a 30 min lunch (forget any extra breaks) and sometimes I have so much work I just time out and still work (which I know is illegal). They just don't want to pay us for not taking a lunch.

Darn, I flunked.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 6:48 pm

4 hours is 1 break
6 hours is 2 breaks and 30 min lunch.
8 hours is hour lunch and 2 breaks.

Gets more complicated after 11 hours.

Failure to do so is $1,000 fine per incident
Additional 2,000 if employee is conhersed or forced to refuse required lunch or break.