Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 5:55 pm

Simargl wrote:
I'm Ortodox.

I did none of this you are accusing, and you have been very rude and unfair.

There are multiple Orthodox sects and patriarchs.

You took it as rude, but he was merely describing his experience with the Orthodox Christians who were goading others about their faith.

Nearly all the Christian sects have at one point claimed to be the true path.

There is a splinter from the Greek Orthodox church that is rebelling an refusing to move of an an island monastery, becuase of improved relations with Rome.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 5:59 pm

According to the Wikipedia article, a Greek author and religious historian has been able to demonstrate how the holy fire could be started by dipping candles in white phosphorus. Supposedly they will self-ignite after twenty minutes or so, after the solvent has mostly evaporated. So I guess that's the theory at the moment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Fire

Apparently there are a lot of critics of the practice, calling it a fraud.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:03 pm

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:13 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's only how to get it to re-light, though. The phenomen occurs without any typical substance to light it to begin with. The white phosphorus is said to need nothing but air to ignite, so it seems more likely to be what's used in the ceremony.

After watching that video, I now think that making candles must be so boring and tedious.

I went to a Greek orthodox church once. It was pretty, and I liked the artwork better than what I've seen in some other Christian churches. The people there weren't "preachy" either. I wonder if they participate in the ceremony.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:21 pm

Surprising this hasn't been called out more. I'm guessing the Patriarch is alone in the tomb with no witnesses.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:32 pm

From what I've read, yes, he's alone. I don't know why it's not called out more. I guess it must be very important for some people to believe in.

My guess is that somebody thought it was a good idea to use it to either get more believers, or to help those who were already believers to remain faithful. And then it became tradition, and people now have to keep it up to avoid looking bad. Or they found a way to justify what they are doing in their own minds.

I definitely don't agree with faking miracles. That's one reason that I don't like the idea of Santa Claus/Father Christmas. It's a lie, and adults knowingly lie to children, thinking that it's harmless.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:32 pm

^ I guess their church would do a scene of drama whenever one questions them about this, and no one would want to be targeted with accusations of being anti-Christianity.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:45 pm

Every sect believes in some kind of miracles and supernaturals...

Most Druzes believe in incarnations, and they would air stories about interviewing kids telling their previous lives, and how they can recognize their still-living relatives from the previous life...

Many Sunni tell stories of Djinns and how some cheikh successful exorcised a djinn-haunted house they knew...

Many Shia tell stories of Imam Ali and other Imams' apparitions....etc

Many Catholics tell stories of Saints' healing, and how some doctors (always belonging to Christian institutions) investigated the cases...

I was even told by Hindus stories of the Buddha statue drinking milk....

but very few ever bullied others that they have to follow the sect (Well ISIS certainly does, but I am talking about local experiences) because of such proclaimed miracles, not to the level that I see from many Orthodoxes at this time of the year every time, they're not being harmful but the arrogance is kinda insane!

You have to live here to understand it.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 7:45 pm

We have our own arrogant religious people here. I haven't noticed it from Orthodox people, but I don't know very many.

I usually get preached to by evangelical Christians in real life. Then I've noticed that online a lot of atheists are really arrogant and call anyone who believes in anything fools. I really hate that attitude.

I haven't really noticed it from any other religions in real life, but it's probably because I'm not exposed to it.

I don't really care what other people believe in, but I really hate it when other people try to convert me or behave as if their religion makes them superior.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 9:23 pm

Many <insert name of religious followers here> can be very annoying.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 11:53 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
you are confusing Mormons with Christian Science followers or Jehova's Witnesses.

No, I am not. The number of extremist Mormons who believe in faith healing is very tiny compared to the total membership, but they do exist. There are also Mormons who still practice polygamy, but again their numbers are small, and they are rejected by the central authorities in Salt Lake City. It's just that the polygamists are very visible in the media, and the faith healers aren't.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 1:53 pm

They are not stopping the stories yet:

https://www.facebook.com/fr.yowakiem/vi ... 845786576/

The nun is passing her hand quickly on the flame, and on her chin, and they're claiming this is a miracle from god.

You can do this with any candle, it doesn't have to be divine.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 2:21 pm

I kind of like the idea that the 'passing of the sacred flame' is basically worshiping chemistry :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 2:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Be grateful that they don't handle live rattlesnakes in church ( like American Protestant Pentecostals do)!

You need a few copperheads to really get it going.Don't forget the drinking of poison.
Watched a show where a herpotologist viewed one of the services.He was du founded why the snakes didn't bite.He exa de the snakes and none had been defanged or their mouth sewn shut.Some snake charmers do this with Cobras in India.There is a serpent festival in I did where the serpents are invited into the homes and saffron is sprinkled on their heads to bless them.This area of India has the least fatal bites from snakes.
I used to have about a dozen copperheads show up around the back porch in August,they never bothered me so I just watched where I stepped during that time of year.

Maple78
Raven
Raven

05 May 2016, 3:04 pm

I've been to this ceremony, and I believe in it. I have a friend who has gone twice, and her candles lit up entirely by themselves, before anyone even passed the fire to her. Yes, I've seen people passing their faces through it. Why don't you all just take turns slapping me? Telling me I'm stupid, arrogant, etc. It's amazing to me that you all can think that religious people are being "annoying" and can't see how annoying you lot can be.