Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 3:42 pm

This is interesting!

I would like to throw out two tidbits.

I had a friend that she didn't know she was autistic UNTIL she changed her environment a lot. Turns out people in her environment were extremely accomodating to her and would do things (that she didn't realize b/c autism) to make things easier for her/explained stuff away so that she got along very well and was even pretty popular if not "quirky" and people got along well. But she was kept in a VERY secluded environment that never changed essentially. While this was great for her, when she left it dissipated essentially. She found that although she was very bright and articulate, she couldn't get along else where. HOWEVER, this wasn't an issue for her until she was like 24/25. That's because her family and everyone around her created one hell of an artificial environment (but unfortunately weren't able to generalize these things for her). And there were tiny signs and symptoms before, but she didn't realize it until much later. Also, she is much more mild.
So, there's that.

And for me, I had HUGE problems from the autism, but also this was complicated from other things like I have prosopagnosia and tourettes (very different but had a big impact on me). ALL OF THESE THINGS went unnoticed. I was told I did them on purpose (Hint: I wasn't). I was told all of my tactile issues/ sensory defensiveness etc. was my fault.
So, I would dissociate and I kind of developed a much more NT-like outside personality to deal with the real world. I suppressed almost all my stims and tics (it was very difficult and painful- did I mention painful?? lol)
Also, my mom was very good and insistent at teaching me some social skills and I read a lot to compensate. So, I can (if I want to) mimic very very well (in specific situations).
So compensatory social prowess in adulthood or as a teenager even in the right environment I believe isn't in and of itself indicative enough to refute a diagnosis.

Also, I was talking to my aspie friend about this but- NTs don't have an explicit understanding of their social norms- it's intuitive(!) and easy for them to pick up. Aspies learn the same things explicitly and by consciously taking perspective and memorizing and building on memorization but its time-consuming and (generally) difficult to pick up.
However, I think that if Aspie can basically come to understand (and are motivated and "intelligent" enough) to memorize and throughly the social lexicon and interactive dance and vocabulary - the societal grammar if you will- then you can potentially be much better even than the average NT at being social.
For example, there are a lot of NTs that aren't that great at social norms and stuff that's not utterly basic. Another point is that all of these social norms and socializing are culturally-dependent. So, you won't understand the social norms of another country- and why we have all the cross-cultural issues that we have in the world :lol:

So, all this to basically say that just because you are good now at socializing doesn't take the cake so to speak against having an ASD diagnosis.
However, I would say autism, once you know what it really entails, is very easy to spot and get a feel for. If you FEEL autistic then you probably are. If you don't feel autistic- you probably aren't. It's hard to fake autism and visa-versa as so many on WP can attest to (myself included). :D

I feel like the presentation of ones autism is so intertwined with so many other variables (especially the co-morbids) that it muddies the "clinical" picture of what autism looks like or what people presume it to present as. So that's something to take into consideration as well.

Example, I have Tourettes (which family still manages to magically ignore even when I twitch & spasm quite dramatically and unstoppably in public for minutes lol- the power of denial :roll: ) and that makes me seem strange and out of place like autism does, but it's not part of my autism- BUT people might call it stimming even though it is not at all, my tics and stims are totally different & for different reasons .

Although, I disagree a bit that autism HAS to cause serious problems or discomfort or things like that, but I understand that clinically yes for a "proper diagnosis" it usually does.

You don't "sound" too autistic to me- in particular if you feel you don't fit the criteria. But also I think you would need to elaborate a little.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 5:20 pm

Quote:
I had a friend that she didn't know she was autistic UNTIL she changed her environment a lot. Turns out people in her environment were extremely accomodating to her and would do things (that she didn't realize b/c autism) to make things easier for her/explained stuff away so that she got along very well and was even pretty popular if not "quirky" and people got along well. But she was kept in a VERY secluded environment that never changed essentially. While this was great for her, when she left it dissipated essentially. She found that although she was very bright and articulate, she couldn't get along else where. HOWEVER, this wasn't an issue for her until she was like 24/25. That's because her family and everyone around her created one hell of an artificial environment (but unfortunately weren't able to generalize these things for her). And there were tiny signs and symptoms before, but she didn't realize it until much later. Also, she is much more mild.
So, there's that.

That's very interesting. So she wasn't disabled as a child because everyone accommodated her and accepted her. Now what if it were the other way around? What if someone grew up with having problems as a child and had many of the autistic traits but then they reach adulthood and bam all their issues disappear?

Also I wonder if the girl was home schooled. That would explain why everyone accommodated her.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 6:19 pm

I have good social skills but bear in mind my diagnosis was later in life and in the mean time I swam with the sharks.
I was always seen as slightly odd by people but had plenty of time to accept their social norms and learn to live by them. People with early diagnosis and protective guardians tend not to have this experience and this can hinder their development in the outside world.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 3:06 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
So, there's that.

That's very interesting. So she wasn't disabled as a child because everyone accommodated her and accepted her. Now what if it were the other way around? What if someone grew up with having problems as a child and had many of the autistic traits but then they reach adulthood and bam all their issues disappear?

Also I wonder if the girl was home schooled. That would explain why everyone accommodated her.

I'll just quote from here.

So yeah, what Unfortunate_Aspie_ said is pretty much the kind of person I was referring to. For that kind of person, I was specifically thinking of my friend's dad. My friend is either BAP or barely on the spectrum, and his kid has a solid autism diagnosis. My friend and I both think his dad is also on the spectrum, but his dad is always saying negative things about autism and we have both had to correct him from saying politically incorrect things. It's a shame that my friend's dad doesn't know that he's on the autism spectrum, because he's done a lot of positive, important things and if he were able to embrace this, it would be really empowering. But it's no one else's place to tell him what he "is" so no one suggests that he is autistic and he doesn't seem to know.

The other kind of person I like to use as an example is David Lynch, who has never admitted to being on the autism spectrum, but is assumed to be by people familiar with his work and familiar with autism. I'm sure that David Lynch did and still does encounter problems associated with autism, but a person who is as wildly successful and powerful as that cannot really be compared to the rest of us and perhaps cannot accurately remember when he was just a regular person. People also often cite Bill Gates, who could buy and sell most countries. I don't think many of us would pretend to compare ourselves to Bill Gates. So I like to say that people like this must be assumed to be out there, but we don't have their experiences and don't know how autism has helped or hindered them.

Dawn Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2016, 3:37 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
You don't "sound" too autistic to me- in particular if you feel you don't fit the criteria. But also I think you would need to elaborate a little.

I intended to elaborate with a more specific answer, but this is quite lengthy and does somewhat elaborate.

I had a friend that she didn't know she was autistic UNTIL she changed her environment a lot. Turns out people in her environment were extremely accomodating to her....

Interesting -- I'm grateful for the insight. I have no idea where this comes from; I see drastic changes as stepping stones that instigate personal growth, for me challenge is stimulating. I wasn't fully aware most need time to recover emotionally and may even believe some goals to be impossible. Some think, "It's just the way I am, so I'll never change." so they never change.

I have no idea why I'm different, but I wish others could do it. I never stop to experience the negative emotion or think "This is impossible.", I'll immediately recover and consider what my next step is. What can I learn from my observations, and how do I take on this problem best? Sorry if this comes off as being boastful or condescending (I really dislike that behavior, so if it does then I'd appreciate the feedback).

I only learned about aspergers or ASD 1-2 months after my official diagnosis. Prior to that my parents just told me I was 'wrong' and that I needed help. While I did feel 'different', I never perceived my difference to be a problem. As I later found out, what my parents viewed as 'different' about me was very different to what I viewed as 'different'.

I'll provide a few examples that emphasized my difference at the time.
- Moved states & lost contact with all friends and relatives. I understood what this meant and knew that I'd likely never see any of them again, but it didn't bother me. I was more concerned over which toys I could bring. Actually, I was excited about the change because it was a new adventure; a challenge.
- Grandparent died within the same week. Upon being told, there was an abnormally long pause before I finally did anything. I expected to feel sad, but nothing happened. I quickly revisited my best memories with them, knowing I'd never see them again, but there was nothing. I tried to feel upset; I really wanted to. In the end I faked crying and tried to cover my face in a manner others would perceive as 'upset' or 'grieving'. It's like trying to follow a piece of string expecting to find something tied to the other end, but all you find is an end.

Anyway, it made me more aware that I was different. My family just thought I didn't understand what was going on, but I'd say it was pretty obvious. I still doubt my judgement on that; is it possible I don't truly understand? Apparently an autistic child may not completely understand, so the behavior can be explained by that. Personally, I think the person who said that is a moron.

I had read two books about Aspergers and 2-3 books on social skills, but I couldn't relate to the disorder and I knew almost everything in the 2-3 books on social skills. I was the complete opposite of the disorder, which really pissed me off. I confronted my parents but they just gave me the "aspergers is a spectrum" argument, and said I lied about reading the books because I couldn't give an on-the-spot breakdown of their contents.

Although, I disagree a bit that autism HAS to cause serious problems or discomfort or things like that, but I understand that clinically yes for a "proper diagnosis" it usually does.

IMO autism is has such a broad array of symptoms that it would benefit from more specific grouping, and methods that cater to those groups. I don't know about others, but from the outside it looks like a bunch of disorders lumped together for the sake of convenience. Actually, it's a perfect metaphor for the labels society creates and uses...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 8:23 pm

If you mean aspies who can sync and conform with NTs, no I don't but I can as an act. I don't hide all my oddities.

If you mean aspies who gets gets along with an average NT, in my case, yes. To be honest, this is rather relative.

If you mean aspies who knows what to say and act instead of how, then yes. It's easy, but it makes me less true.

If you mean aspies who knows how to say things instead of what, yes, half the time.

If you mean aspies who can utilize connections, then yes. Even better than most NTs.

If you mean aspies who can take a hint, nope. I don't take hints, even if I detect one. I insist that they have to be direct to pass the message.

If you mean aspies who can charm people, yes I could. But I wouldn't. Doing so wouldn't be 'me'.

What part of social skills did I missed?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 9:33 pm

If you're capable of remembering people, by what they do, rather than what they say, you are a gifted lie detector or judge of moral character.

An excellent recollection of trivia might give you a panic attack, when remembering social stresses. It might keep you awake, for days.

Most people, though, are playing by an internal set of rules, so are reasonably predictable, several steps in advance.

If Aspies march to the beat of a different drum, while in sensory overload, NT's are pedants and creatures of habit, with inertia, but little spontaneity.

(Pardon me. Mainly edited for grammar.)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 1:27 am

Aspergers and autism isn't a social disorder it's a neurological disorder that is most apparent in a social and communication area.

Generally difficulty socializing and communicating is a big symptom that is most often present.

Social skills such as manners and social etiquette CAN be learned as can learning simple facial expressions and body language, but it's not inborn.

I would say: it's likely a person diagnosed with aspergers and autism with PERFECT social skills is misdiagnosed.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

tatals
Raven
Raven

07 May 2016, 7:39 am

I'd say I have decent social skills in some settings. I'm 30 years old and I've learned a lot over the years. I still have problems with some environments and sometimes I feel 'off' even in familiar ones. That's the catch, in my opinion. If you feel completely comfortable socializing, then you're probably misdiagnosed.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 9:14 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Aspergers and autism isn't a social disorder it's a neurological disorder that is most apparent in a social and communication area.

Generally difficulty socializing and communicating is a big symptom that is most often present.

Social skills such as manners and social etiquette CAN be learned as can learning simple facial expressions and body language, but it's not inborn.

I would say: it's likely a person diagnosed with aspergers and autism with PERFECT social skills is misdiagnosed.

Yeah, but you could have perfect social skills that are all fake.

I think what I'm seeing from OP (correct me if I'm wrong, OP) is an autistic type with very high self-esteem and confidence which some might say borders on elitism (I'm not insulting you, I don't think that's bad). A recognition that one is different and has to put in extra effort to appear "normal" but with no underlying feeling that the difference is negative in any way.

I don't think this is a common way to be, but I have met people like this before. I think a person like this really could be autistic but could find that they don't agree with some of the things other people say about autism because they don't find autism to be a problem. Most people on the spectrum have both positive and debilitating aspects of autism that they deal with.

If this is what is going on with the OP, I would just say to make sure that you have time where you don't have to fake things, even if that means you spend some time alone. Just so you can rest and recharge your batteries.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 11:16 am

Quote:
If you feel completely comfortable socializing, then you're probably misdiagnosed.

I disagree. That is most likely social anxiety right there and I know someone who is autistic who feels competently comfortable socializing but his social skills are very poor because he will talk at you and you can't get a word in edgewise. His peers are either children under age 7 or people above 65 or his old teachers he had or his autistic buddies and buddies with low IQs. Plus I knew another guy once and he also liked socializing and he was non verbal but because he liked to be with people, a doctor said he just had a low IQ but yet when he was a young child, he was wild and all over and screaming but he was now mellow after he has had years of therapy. He was diagnosed by the same psychiatrist as me. Some people on the spectrum are social but it doesn't always mean they have good social skills.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 12:34 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:

I find it easier to write about social confrontations, after they are done and over with.

But, it's unrealistic, to be diagramming people's sentences, in the course of a conversation.

Being fluent and giving an analysis are two different social skills.

And, I am oftentimes weak, in terms of fluency.

I press one button, and hours of consideration are condensed into seconds of reading.

And, I can fix it, later.

I don't find that I talk this way, in real life.

tatals
Raven
Raven

08 May 2016, 9:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
If you feel completely comfortable socializing, then you're probably misdiagnosed.

I disagree. That is most likely social anxiety right there and I know someone who is autistic who feels competently comfortable socializing but his social skills are very poor because he will talk at you and you can't get a word in edgewise. His peers are either children under age 7 or people above 65 or his old teachers he had or his autistic buddies and buddies with low IQs. Plus I knew another guy once and he also liked socializing and he was non verbal but because he liked to be with people, a doctor said he just had a low IQ but yet when he was a young child, he was wild and all over and screaming but he was now mellow after he has had years of therapy. He was diagnosed by the same psychiatrist as me. Some people on the spectrum are social but it doesn't always mean they have good social skills.

I see. That's interesting. I feel very comfortable in some environments and with some people, but I feel 'lost' in others, like big social situations, a lot of people, etc. I thought every autistic person had that (in some measure).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 2:13 am

tatals wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

I see. That's interesting. I feel very comfortable in some environments and with some people, but I feel 'lost' in others, like big social situations, a lot of people, etc. I thought every autistic person had that (in some measure).

Social anxiety is a big part of autism but what I am saying is being social and comfortable in social situations doesn't necessarily mean one isn't autistic.

Dawn Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2016, 9:13 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Yeah, but you could have perfect social skills that are all fake.

I think what I'm seeing from OP (correct me if I'm wrong, OP) is an autistic type with very high self-esteem and confidence which some might say borders on elitism (I'm not insulting you, I don't think that's bad). A recognition that one is different and has to put in extra effort to appear "normal" but with no underlying feeling that the difference is negative in any way.

I don't think this is a common way to be, but I have met people like this before. I think a person like this really could be autistic but could find that they don't agree with some of the things other people say about autism because they don't find autism to be a problem. Most people on the spectrum have both positive and debilitating aspects of autism that they deal with.

If this is what is going on with the OP, I would just say to make sure that you have time where you don't have to fake things, even if that means you spend some time alone. Just so you can rest and recharge your batteries.

I agree with part of what you said; I'll try to elaborate.

The reason I came here was to learn where I may or may not differ from people with aspergers, and in particular how my lack of negative emotions (and some positive) plays into that. It's isolating but in a different to what others may feel; it's more of an indifference. I acknowledge that most people have problems with confidence, they can be put down and their self-image is easily damaged, and they feel bad after insulting a friend. I can't relate to those things for some reason. Similarly, I can't relate when others feel more positive emotions than I do, but I do feel them (mainly amusement and interest).

I tried putting myself down emotionally. Nothing. Harmful comments don't do any damage either. I can be irritated, angered, and frustrated in some cases, but each time it happens I become more resistant. Anywhere between the 1-3 time and it often loses any effect.

As for the sense of 'grandiosity' in my earlier messages, I accidentally let my mind get carried away with an imagined persona.

I stopped and thought for several minutes after reading "...with very high self-esteem and confidence". I'm capable of what I'm capable of. Once a problem is identified I ask what my options are, pick the most favorable option, and then I do it. I didn't understand how others could lack or gain confidence. I realized eventually, but that took far longer than it should have

I had to learn most of my behavior and reactions since they didn't come naturally, but it's more because there was no emotional response in the first place. I don't know if that classifies as autistic or not, but my understanding is that they have difficulty recognizing what emotions they are feeling and not whether they are at all.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2016, 12:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have decent social skills---sometimes.

Under stress, I deteriorate pretty rapidly in the social skills department.

But I believe, most of the time, especially more recently, that my social skills deficits don't stand out

Except, like I said, when I feel stressed, when I have to do more than one thing at once.

I'm exactly the same way. When things are going smoothly, I appear mostly NT. When I'm stressed (or sometimes overly excited about something), then my ASD is a lot more obvious. Just today someone surprised me at working by asking for a task to be completed earlier than scheduled. I got flustered very quickly, although I did manage to collect myself without looking too frazzled (I hope).