Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2016, 1:12 am

For much of my life, I've had autism, ADD, OCD, mood swings, depression, and anxiety.

I've tried a litany of anti-depressants, SSRI's, tri-cyclics, OCD medications, mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics, clonopin and so on. On numerous occasions, some of the medications have driven me delusional and mad.

Early this year I finally find two medications that worked, and I take them now.

Adderall - Helps with my ADD, but mainly it works as an anti-depressant. I like that it doesn't alter your thinking, or change your personality. It just gives you more focus and energy. After everything else failed, my doctor gave it a chance and it's been working.

Gabapentin - This one is off-label. It's sort of like a weaker version of medical marijuana. It provides very good anxiety and mood stabilizing relief while being light on side effects.

I'm far from out of the woods, but it helps that after all these bad experiences, I've found medications that do more good than harm.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 9:38 am

I have Asperger's, OCD, ADD, Social Anxiety, had several episodes of major depression, and Borderline PD. I have tried tons of different meds in the last 10.5 years as well.

I find clonazepam when used PRN helps my anxiety the best. I only use it when I really need it, sort of like a fire extinguisher for anxiety. I just melt a tablet under my tongue to make it kick in quick. I will keep a pill in my wallet so I'll have one on me if I need it. Simply having some nearby helps my anxiety without even needing to take it.

Antidepressants don't help my depression, for those that did they only worked for a month or two before pooping out. I find vitamin D 4000 IU a day to oddly enough help my depression the most.

I still take Remeron for sleep, and my body has always tolerated it well with no side effects.

I use Seroquel for sleep and it helps slightly as a mood stabilizer for my BPD to stop my mood swings from going to the extremes.

Adderall worked best for my ADD but I couldn't tolerate the side effects. It altered my taste of food, destroyed my appetite and gave me horrible mood swings and crashes.

OCD I find didn't respond to any meds but responded to ERP(exposure response prevention) CBT pretty well.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2016, 1:37 am

I also take Gabapentin. It only helps my OCD thou & not my anxiety. I take Buspar for my anxiety & the combo of the two meds work really well together for me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2016, 12:27 pm

More people should hear about Gabapentin. SSRI's are what's in fashion, and they are what's being pushed around. But they don't work for the majority of people.

Clonopin and Benzodiazapenes like it are now being recently seen as addictive and nuerotoxic with heavy use. As a result, Gabapentin might not be a bad alternative.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2016, 4:09 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:
More people should hear about Gabapentin. SSRI's are what's in fashion, and they are what's being pushed around. But they don't work for the majority of people.

Clonopin and Benzodiazapenes like it are now being recently seen as addictive and nuerotoxic with heavy use. As a result, Gabapentin might not be a bad alternative.
I tried different psych meds out but I didn't feel any of them helped my OCD without making me tired or zoned out with the exception of Anafranil/Clomipramine. It made me tired & shaky but my OCD was better for a couple days after I quit taking it & the tiredness & shaking had passed.

I took Klonopin regularly for a while for a tremor disorder that gets worse when I'm nervous or stressed. It halped at 1st but quit having an effect after a while. It got prescribed again years later because I feel claustrophobic like when ridding crowded buses. I take a lower dose & it helps as a preventive measure. I also take it when my tremor disorder acts up, before going to a certain social events which are only a couple times a year, when I feel really anxious about something, or to help me sleep when my mussels are sore. it helps for those issues but I only take it like 1ce a week on average.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition