Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gowithit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2016, 11:25 pm

Hi, I am so confused about what is going on with me. I have been diagnosed with asperger syndrome about five years ago. I had also been diagnosed with a lot of other mental illnesses as a kid. I am pretty sure I have aspergers syndrome, at least lots of sensory issues. Andeveryone else in my life thinks I have it too. I miss a lot of social cues, but I also notice a lot of things and pay attention to what people say and how they say it. I am trying to figure out if I might be suffering from borderline personality disorder in addition to to or instead of my aspergers syndrome. I have been experiencing a lot of painful emotions and mood swings due to living in another country for the last couple of months. I can explain things a bit better but I want to know if anyone here has experience with this. I have been posting on a forum for bpd and I don't get any replies. I dont feel like the people are relating to me or maybe I am different from them. I relate to them but I cannot express myself with the members the way they seem to get on with each other. I am really looking for some answers. Thanks for reading this.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 12:08 am

There is a very clear connection between borderline personality disorder and autism in women: a study found 15% percent of women with borderline are on the spectrum, and they had more severe mental health problems than the other women with borderline eg. much more frequent suicide attempts. It's still under debate whether it's better to consider the borderline as a misdiagnosis or as a co-morbid for those women. What isn't under debate is it's much easier for a woman to get a diagnosis of borderline than a diagnosis of aspergers because borderline is seen as a female disorder while aspergers as a male disorder. When a friend of mine was describing his fiance to me a few months ago, I deduced that she either had aspergers or borderline personality disorder, sure enough she was just recently diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. They are also investigating her for schizophrenia as it's associated with borderline and she showed some sign of that, though I know historically autism was diagnosed as schizophrenia, especially in women.

Anyway, from what you've said, I don't see any signs of you suffering from borderline. Experiencing painful emotions from living in another country is just the result of living in another country. And again, you have aspergers, which is enough to explain why you might have more mood swings as the result of it than other people. This woman I'm describing is possessive to the point of threatening violence and sometimes has anxiety so bad she disappears for a week. I'm not saying that you don't have borderline, but based on what you said, I see no red flags for it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Julie Louise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 10:57 pm

Many people on the Autism spectrum get misdiagnosed as having a personality disorder, because autistic traits and personality disorders can appear similar. In regards to Aspergers Syndrome, especially.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Mar 2017, 12:02 am

I was diagnosed with BPD when I was going through a bad psychotic depression. I was having lots of mood swings over my 1st relationship ending. I was having mood swings in the relationship too cuz my anxiety & OCD caused me to worry alot which lead to to the breakup. I don't think I would get diagnosed with BPD now cuz the symptoms gradually got better as my depression lifted. I'm not saying your having anxiety or OCD issues or anything but I do get how BPD symptoms can flare up during a period of stress. Hopefully things would get better for you as you get used to the new country.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

slimeprince
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2017, 9:59 am

i've been suspecting i have bpd for about 2 years and have a special interest in psychology, so if you're willing to take advice from a 17 year old, i'm here. i can't really make any conclusions from just extreme moods, but you did say there were other things you'd like to talk about. personally, my biggest problems are overreaction to perceived abandonment and short episodes of extreme anger.