Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

transsupernatural
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2016, 3:42 pm

How does one even deal with screaming babies/kids when it just absolutely overwhelms you? Seriously, I've never been around kids much until lately and they drive me crazy! My friend has 2 kids and my brother has 2 and I now live my brother and they ask me to watch the kids a lot. I also don't have my own room so I'm right in the middle of all the action. I find myself becoming super snappy at my brother (never the kids) and shutting down a lot more often.
Heeeelp!!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 7:45 pm

transsupernatural wrote:
How does one even deal with screaming babies/kids when it just absolutely overwhelms you?

HOW??? Simple, I try to avoid being around kids in the first place. And if I have to be around them I try to keep my fingers as close to my ears as possible, in case one of those kids decides to launch an assault on my eardrums.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 7:51 pm

I can't stand my niece in that sense, She's constantly making some form of noise.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

yourkiddingme3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2016, 9:09 pm

When I was home from work in the evening, and alone with my own first kid crying unceasingly from colic, I would visualize picking him up by his feet and swinging his heads into the wall repeatedly, bashing out his brains. This visualization would make me feel both relieved and guilty, so I would sing that much more sweetly to soothe my infant.

Don't know whether this visualization would work for anyone else, but that kid graduated from Yale, is attending grad school in propulsion engineering, and recently became engaged to a fellow Yalie.

My second kid didn't have colic, but does have ADHD.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 9:23 pm

I try to get out of there as fast as possible.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 9:26 pm

yourkiddingme3 wrote:
When I was home from work in the evening, and alone with my own first kid crying unceasingly from colic, I would visualize picking him up by his feet and swinging his heads into the wall repeatedly, bashing out his brains. This visualization would make me feel both relieved and guilty, so I would sing that much more sweetly to soothe my infant.

Don't know whether this visualization would work for anyone else, but that kid graduated from Yale, is attending grad school in propulsion engineering, and recently became engaged to a fellow Yalie.

My second kid didn't have colic, but does have ADHD.

Good thing you did not bash his brains out. Might have kept him out of Yale. I have had that visual before. I have never done it though and never would. I convinced myself that I had done it once though and actually literally believed I had killed the child. The parents had to reassure me that the kid was fine. I had actually bashed my own head against the wall. The kid was totally oblivious that he had even entered my mind for even a moment.

Wreck It Ralph

transsupernatural
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2016, 10:28 am

Can definitely understand that visualization.... I get similar thoughts but they are not enjoyable at all for me.

Seriously, kids are the worst. Best birth control ever is being around them.

I've started putting on headphones but my brother's kid is 3 and talks to me a lot, which is annoying anyway, but he's just a kid so I cut him some slack.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 10:41 am

My (aspie) husband has a problem with our two year old having gross things on him, like food on his hands after he eats. We kept wet wipes out and immediately wiped his hands right after he ate, and my husband was very vocal about not wanting gross things wiped on him. Our son is now starting to request that his hands be wiped off as soon as he finishes.

If the baby is neurotypical, being around you and being able to see your face will show the baby that you're having a hard time with whatever the baby is doing. They will learn faster to stop doing it. That's just how we neurotypicals work. So if the baby is crying and your sibling is not doing anything about it, I say go pick up the baby and try to soothe the kid while letting the kid see you uncomfortable. They will see that you feel better as they quiet down. If they can't see that what they are doing is a problem they will keep doing it.

I hate to tell you that, because it doesn't help you. But if you suppress your reaction too much you will make it harder on yourself in the long run.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 3:10 pm

Maybe we should all act uncomfortable around babies then, and then they will learn to keep their shouting and screaming to a minimum before the age of 1.

But seriously, I do wish more places could have an age limit so that older kids and adults can enjoy a meal or something without having to hear other people's toddlers and babies.
But where I come from, everywhere has to be family-friendly (except for pubs and bars at night), and mothers get offended if there is such a place that disallows kids under 5, so they get all up in arms about it and post all over the internet about how unfair it is that this one restaurant unwelcomes their darling offspring.

I have a love-hate thing with small children. I loathe the sound of them and don't want them near me, but at the same time I hate seeing them being abused, for example, Baby P. I feel angry about what they did to that poor little innocent darling boy, and I just wanted him to be saved, adopted into a loving family.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 3:21 pm

I don't like gross stuff on me either and I am a big advocate of wiping the baby down and keeping him clean. And I can't deal with snot and dribble either. I have seen some babies that I would like to take a fire hose to.

If the baby is upset and is a friend or relative, I will sometimes take the baby and shush him myself because I can actually do that. And usually if I know why the baby is upset it is not so bad, like if I see the baby get hurt, then the crying does not bother me and I will do whatever I can to comfort the baby. But if I am at the store or something and there is a baby screaming or crying and I have no emotional connection to the child or I don't see the child get hurt, like if it just starts crying because it's spoiled or something, then I can't tolerate it.

Wreck It Ralph

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 4:16 pm

yeah ever since i was a kid, kids, even at that age, their screams or crying was really really painful, one of my sisters friends used to cry a lot (she was one of those people who loved attention) and it used to freak me out, still does to this day, and as a result i really dont like children or babies, they are too noisy and in your face.

maybe decline the babysitting invite next time?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 4:59 pm

randomeu wrote:

maybe decline the babysitting invite next time?
LOL!! Probably a good idea! :D

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 9:33 pm

It's frustrating because you don't know WHY the baby is crying.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 10:04 am

You just go through a routine. Change the diaper, offer a bottle, rock, walk around, talk or sing to. One of those things will usually take care of it. My son is, unfortunately, smarter than I am and neurotypical, so it is sometimes a challenge for me to deal with him. When he was a baby he couldn't tell me what was wrong, so sometimes it seemed to be that he was bored. So I'd walk him around and let him look at stuff while I sang to him. Then you can remember, in X circumstance, Y works.

I agree about the loud children in restaurants, Joe90. I agreed with you before I had my son. But after I had him, it turns out that we don't have a babysitter. So we just take him in and if he makes noise we leave. That's only happened a couple of times, thankfully. What he does is flirt with the waitresses. He'll stare at them, lock eyes, then grin like a grown man. It can be embarrassing. It's "cute" now but when he gets a little older I'll have to make him stop.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 10:40 am

babies are obstacles on the floor that i must navigate around when i am walking.
one day hopefully, they will grow up and be able to get out of my way.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 10:50 am

b9 wrote:
babies are obstacles on the floor that i must navigate around when i am walking.
one day hopefully, they will grow up and be able to get out of my way.

LOL! That is funny. :D

Wreck It Ralph