cooking for the socially unorthodox: powertool deliciousness

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:27 am

DingoDv wrote:
I heard if you eat hair you get hairballs... (ie whats angel hair - I can maybe guess ultra fine noodles or something but am too lazy to google it)

Don't you need to soak lentils before use?

No. You just fry them longer. And yes, angel hair is pasta.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 12:26 pm

I call this one "Cereal and Milk".

1. Open the cupboard where the cereal box is supposed to be. If not there, keep searching cupboards at random. If not in cupboards, try alternate locations such as under sink.

2. Place cereal box on counter. If necessary, clear week old newspapers, leftover food, books, and magazines out of the way.

3. Make sure the bunny rabbit or the captain is right side up.

4. Attempt to open the box gently. When this fails, use the largest butcher knife at hand. Violently slash top of box 'till open. Being careful not to cut any fingers or arteries.

5. Once box has been opened, find a bowl. Repeat random search pattern as in step one until found. Wipe leftover crud out of bowl using filthy towel hanging off refrigerator.

6. Pour cereal into bowl, being careful not to overfill.

7. Sweep spilt cereal into pet's food bowl.

8. Go to refrigerator, and locate milk. Sniff to make sure it hasn't curdled too much.

9. Pour aged milk into bowl, being careful to not over pour.

10 Direct pet to lap up spilt milk.

11. Open drawers at random to locate a spoon. When no spoon is found, use hand.

12. Locate box of sugar in random pattern, as previously noted for cereal, spoon and bowl.

13. Liberally add sugar to cereal to taste.

14. Sweep spilt sugar into pet's food bowl.

15. After you're through eating this tasty treat, put bowl on floor for pet to clean up.

16. Wrap top of box with aluminium foil to keep freshness in.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2007, 3:02 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I call this one "Cereal and Milk".

1. Open the cupboard where the cereal box is supposed to be. If not there, keep searching cupboards at random. If not in cupboards, try alternate locations such as under sink.

2. Place cereal box on counter. If necessary, clear week old newspapers, leftover food, books, and magazines out of the way.

3. Make sure the bunny rabbit or the captain is right side up.

4. Attempt to open the box gently. When this fails, use the largest butcher knife at hand. Violently slash top of box 'till open. Being careful not to cut any fingers or arteries.

5. Once box has been opened, find a bowl. Repeat random search pattern as in step one until found. Wipe leftover crud out of bowl using filthy towel hanging off refrigerator.

6. Pour cereal into bowl, being careful not to overfill.

7. Sweep spilt cereal into pet's food bowl.

8. Go to refrigerator, and locate milk. Sniff to make sure it hasn't curdled too much.

9. Pour aged milk into bowl, being careful to not over pour.

10 Direct pet to lap up spilt milk.

11. Open drawers at random to locate a spoon. When no spoon is found, use hand.

12. Locate box of sugar in random pattern, as previously noted for cereal, spoon and bowl.

13. Liberally add sugar to cereal to taste.

14. Sweep spilt sugar into pet's food bowl.

15. After you're through eating this tasty treat, put bowl on floor for pet to clean up.

16. Wrap top of box with aluminium foil to keep freshness in.

:lol:

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 3:18 pm

corn chips and a dip make an excellent meal for the lazy cook.

i cooked my first roast this week and i think i'll be doing it a lot more. it's one of the easiest meals, you just buy a chunk of meat, peel potatoes, onion and pumpkin and throw them in a hot oven. about 50 minutes per kilo of meat. it's cheap and the dogs loved it too!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 3:33 pm

This a favourite at my house:

Put chicken pieces in roaster with lid.

Add sliced onions (not necessary)

Mix together 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup vinegar OR lemon juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar OR white sugar OR honey, dash of pepper, salt to taste and garlic or Mrs.Dash (optional)

Pour over chicken, cover and bake at 350 F, (or medium on BBQ or gas grill) for 1 hour.

Serve over rice or pasta or potatoes.

The best part of this is that you can use less or more of the ingredients or you can substitute other sweet or sour ingredients. The amounts don't need to be exact.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 3:40 pm

DingoDv wrote:
Hot Tuna Sarnie
tin of dolphin free tuna in brine or springwater (sunflower oil is nasty and greasy)
wholemeal bread
wholemeal mustard
small shallot
mayonaise if you must...
salady bits like spinach leaves, lettuce

open tin, put in bowl - add large quantity of mustard and any mayo you would like and mix in nicely.
dice up shallot and throw in (nearly wrote up there...) to bowl again mixing in nicely.

Spread liberally on bread (about 1cm thick all across) and apply salad as liked.

I am an excellent cook, i like this recipe but will tell you how to improve it...

1. Tuna in brine is tasteless; get it in oil (this is the only fish i will eat out of a tin.)
2. I would forget about the salad.
3. In the bowl, mix up the tuna, shallot, mustard, also you want tomato ketchup! ( this is about the only recipe a top-chef will use ketchup in), also chillies, chillie powder lots of black pepper and instead of mayo i would use cheese.
4. Nice chunky thick slices of bread. Put the mix in the bread, use the oil from the tuna instead of butter. Wrap it in tin-foil and stick it in oven on 200C for 20-25 mins.

It's very filling for a lunch-time. Fully of goodness. Yum-yum

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 7:29 pm

Here's another one that I haven't
made in a long time, but it's sort
of magically easy (doesn't even require
boiling water):

Pan Cit Noodles (sp?). Fry up some pork
and some sweet Chinese sausage, with
garlic, onions, ginger, and soy. Add carrots to
desired tenderness (should be pretty firm,
in my book). Then, throw the
noodles in a big pot, and add contents of fry-pan.
Lots more soy. Stir until noodles are tender. Throw
some snow peas in. A bit of chopping is required,
but otherwise, it's a fairly fast cook.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 7:57 pm

Homemade peanut butter:

2 cups peanuts
1/2 tsp salt (none, if peanuts were salted)
1 tbs peanut oil

Puree in blender or food processor for 3-4 minutes.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 12:44 am

Postperson wrote:
i cooked my first roast this week and i think i'll be doing it a lot more. it's one of the easiest meals, you just buy a chunk of meat, peel potatoes, onion and pumpkin and throw them in a hot oven. about 50 minutes per kilo of meat. it's cheap and the dogs loved it too!

LOL, that's the same recipe the first poster posted, postperson. Don't forget the garlic cloves - roasted garlic is the s**t.

When I make food for myself, I make toast or nachos. Or grilled-cheese sandwich. If I didn’t have others to cook for I would have a really bad diet. One healthy thing that’s easy is adding granola to yogurt – it sounds healthy and it is, but it actually is a good combination. One thing I’ve learned from decades of cooking is the magic of combining ingredients. There are certain combinations that sound unappealing but really go well together. For instance, meat and fruit sounds horrible, but in reality, duck a l’orange, turkey and cranberry, lemon chicken, pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza, etc., are good examples of the magic of finding good combinations.

One of the easiest, healthiest things I know is Caesar Salad. Always have on hand: washed romaine lettuce, a good Caesar dressing, good parmesan cheese and croutons. Then all you have to do is slice romaine into bowl, add croutons, pour dressing over and toss (secret of a good salad is lightly-dressed and well-tossed) then use a grater to grate parmesan over all. Top with fresh-ground black pepper. Serve with a grilled piece of meat for a low-carb and easy meal.

So Bazza, you have a propane torch in your kitchen – do you use it or does your wife? Are you a hunter AND a gourmet chef???

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:09 am

Get your pasta water all set, this one is a fast one. Anchovy paste (not hard to find) about the amount you would use to brush your teeth, olive oil to cover 2 helpings of pasta and about 4 -7 thinnly sliced gloves of garlic, pressing might work, never tried it. Heat the above with paste till garlic slices are golden, stir it with a fork to keep the garlic from burning and the paste spread, it doesn't take long to do this, it's not a put it on and talk on the phone for a while deal and then pour over pasta. I like the larger pasta sizes for this one, linguine. Also like my pasta el dante for this, your call. Its slang name is whores spaghetti, not sure what the real one is. I didn't make up the name, it's really an Italian dish. I've tried doing it with anchovie fillets but not the same. Very fast to do, very tastie and the anchovie is not strong as one might think, nor the garlic over powering. But yeah, you better like garlic to try this one. Even that isn't bad, it's more like a shrimp scampi, a lot of garlic, but it's nice. This will serve two.

I asked for it one time in an Italian restaurant, it wasn't on the menu. The cook heard the request and was so happy to make it. He was just sort of amazed anybody knew about it. My first wife was Italian, also nuts, bad combo, do not make that at home.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 6:42 pm

postpaleo wrote:
Get your pasta water all set, this one is a fast one. Anchovy paste (not hard to find) about the amount you would use to brush your teeth, olive oil to cover 2 helpings of pasta and about 4 -7 thinnly sliced gloves of garlic, pressing might work, never tried it. Heat the above with paste till garlic slices are golden, stir it with a fork to keep the garlic from burning and the paste spread, it doesn't take long to do this, it's not a put it on and talk on the phone for a while deal and then pour over pasta. I like the larger pasta sizes for this one, linguine. Also like my pasta el dante for this, your call. Its slang name is whores spaghetti, not sure what the real one is. I didn't make up the name, it's really an Italian dish. I've tried doing it with anchovie fillets but not the same. Very fast to do, very tastie and the anchovie is not strong as one might think, nor the garlic over powering. But yeah, you better like garlic to try this one. Even that isn't bad, it's more like a shrimp scampi, a lot of garlic, but it's nice. This will serve two.

I asked for it one time in an Italian restaurant, it wasn't on the menu. The cook heard the request and was so happy to make it. He was just sort of amazed anybody knew about it. My first wife was Italian, also nuts, bad combo, do not make that at home.

sounds good.

Here's a tip for garlic ... break a clove off the bulb, lie the flat of a broad knife on it and bash it with your fist. It crushes the garlic and then the paper is easily removed. You can chop the garlic a bit more if you want, but its usually enough for me.

Your receipe reminds me of "whores pasta" - which was said to be a favorite of Napoli whores because it was quick. I'll have to think about it a bit to remember what goes in it, but it include anchovy fillets, rough chopped tomatoes garlic and olive oil.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 6:53 pm

Pasta puttanesca.

Putain is also French for whore, if my memory serves me.

Okay, here's another easy pasta - cook your pasta, drain water, turn heat to low, add an egg (or not), olive oil, garlic salt or fresh chopped garlic, grated parmesan cheese and mix till cheese has melted. Good side dish.

Beefaroni:
Add ground beef and roughly-chopped onion to large skillet, saute till meat is done and onion is at least translucent, add spices of choice (basil, a sprinkle of sugar, garlic salt and crushed red peppers does it for us), about a 1/2 pound of pasta, a large can of some sort of tomato product (sauce, spaghetti sauce, crushed toms) and an equal amount of water, heat to boiling while stirring, turn down to simmer and cover till noodles have soaked up liquid.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 7:00 pm

i will post my recipe for curry sauce soon.
I am too drunk at the moment, but you can make a couple of litres of this.
It will last a week or so, and you can use it to poach fish and has a base to make vegetable, prawn, chicken, lamb curries etc. ( but i do not eat meat).
It will take 10 mins to make and will save lots of time when making the curries.
You will need to buy a 1 or 2 litre jar to store the sauce in.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 7:12 pm

Tacos:
Buy: corn tortillas, head of cabbage, limes, salsa, and main ingredient of some sort. Easiest is roasted chicken from the grocery store.
Extras: Green onions, avocado slices, tomatoes, olives, etc.

Use shredder to shred cabbage and store in fridge so you can make this in less than 2 minutes.

Heat two tortillas per taco (over gas burner or in microwave), sprinkle cabbage, some sliced chicken (or shrimp, fish, etc.), squeeze of lime, and anything else that you happen to have around. Personally the fewer ingredients the better - just cabbage, lime juice and meat/fish/.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 7:14 pm

Speaking of fish, and I may be preaching to the choir, but I discovered the best method for frying fish:
Beer and flour. Mix flour and beer till goopy, dip fish in and fry. Excellent in tacos.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 9:45 pm

aylissa wrote:
Speaking of fish, and I may be preaching to the choir, but I discovered the best method for frying fish:
Beer and flour. Mix flour and beer till goopy, dip fish in and fry. Excellent in tacos.

Ah AH!! Now I recall my cookin days. Cooking Beer, a must have for any cook, well for me it was. Sourkraut well drained and rinsed in water in a strainer, unless you have made real kraut and can control the salt, bagged kraut is better then canned most times. Put the kraut in a pot add cooking beer, throw the dogs of choice in and simmer and umumum good. I suppose for non drinkers there would or could be a point where the alcohol is gone from the dish, I don't know. Kids hyper? Juice em. Here Johnny have a hot dog. Just take away the keys to his bike.