Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Schlumpfikus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2016, 1:03 pm

On a documentary I recently saw a young man with AS whose difficulties included that while talking he sometimes just stopped in the middle of the sentence and didn't go on, because, as was explained 'he couldn't think of the right word to say at that moment'. He also told that when in a supermarket they have too many products he doesn't know which one to pick and so just goes home without one.

To me this seemed like a sign of thinking too much, about doing everything right and perfect. I mean, obviously if you run out of everyday items, such as toothpaste for example, it's better to eventually buy any than none at all? Or has that to do with sensory sensitivity, that is that one can only use and tolerate a very limited number of products?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm

I suppose, that aspies do "think too much" because, they have to intellectually process, what others catch intuitively - or simply don´t notice.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

Schlumpfikus wrote:
On a documentary I recently saw a young man with AS whose difficulties included that while talking he sometimes just stopped in the middle of the sentence and didn't go on, because, as was explained 'he couldn't think of the right word to say at that moment'. He also told that when in a supermarket they have too many products he doesn't know which one to pick and so just goes home without one.

To me this seemed like a sign of thinking too much, about doing everything right and perfect. I mean, obviously if you run out of everyday items, such as toothpaste for example, it's better to eventually buy any than none at all? Or has that to do with sensory sensitivity, that is that one can only use and tolerate a very limited number of products?

YAY!! ! I'm not the only one that does this!! :D It drives my mom and dad crazy.
I do that (not buying something) to avoid buyers regret lol or so I don't spend so much money on something or buy something impulsively.
I just say- okay, can't make up my mind- won't buy anything.
I do spend very very large amounts of time in supermarkets or shops though :| I made a rule a few years back- buy the cheapest acceptable thing or create a price boundary going in and just exclude all other options out of it no matter what- I find that cuts down on a lot- lol especially when my price is low. Beggars can't be choosers!
I have this one brand of toothpaste that I buy and after trying out most of the flavors and types and everything I've decided on one flavor I like best (I have two others in case for backup) and then texture that I prefer (paste or gel or powder or stuff in the paste like for "scrubbing" or whittening etc.). and then additional properties like "whole care" or "sensitivity" or "whitening" or whatever. And then I mapped out all of the stores that sell it for what prices and what the sales look like and then the online prices, and I simply get the same exact toothpaste every single time from the same store for the same price and brush my teeth with this exact toothpaste every single day (twice a day). And I do have alternatives just in case it's out of stock or I can't find it (also buy in bulk lol or like two at a time so I have a backup in case I want to search for it again or wait for a better price).
Also, luckily it's a pretty popular toothpaste brand so. Moreover, I have been using this exact same brand of toothpaste for the past 7years. I never have any issues with it.
I think as long as the brand exists I will probably never use another type of toothpaste- if I can avoid it. However, I do have alternatives that I like just as well that I could use/have used before when traveling or at someone else's place for example.

Well... I think that might have only been like tangentially related to what you were asking my bad!!

What's the name of the documentary?? I want to watch it now :mrgreen:

Also, @Jensen, I never realized just how much people rely on feelings for things!! ! It must certainly free up a lot of cognitive time/space. However, I quite like my overthinking because it provides me interesting insights occasionally about things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm

Sometimes.

LOL.....I'm not one of those who "thinks too much." Maybe if I did think a little more, I would be more successful.

However, I have found that people who "think too much" tend to dwell upon the negative.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 5:44 pm

I can't speak for everyone but im thinking all the time

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 5:52 pm

As for me, definitely.

It makes it take much longer to get things done.

A good example would be the way I eat. I have to eat my meals in a specific way following a pattern, because if I didn't, then I wouldn't be able to decide what to eat next. I would just think about it forever, as if there's a correct answer.

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2016, 5:59 pm

I have linguistic patterns for each situation. If I don't, I might have to think the possibilities of being misunderstood at the moment and that sometimes leaves me speechless.

About leaving the place having bought nothing, I've done that many many times, it's common.
No toothpaste grosses me out, though. As the guy above, I buy in bulk, always the same.

mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2016, 6:19 pm

Always - my mind simply won't shut up.
Especially when I go to bed. It's like my bed is infected with a gazillion thoughts.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 6:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
However, I have found that people who "think too much" tend to dwell upon the negative.

LOL guilty as charged XD

@Dreadful Dante: Also, I 'm not a man... my profile says female. Or... umm I thought it did :?

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm

Oh god, yes.

Only time I can calm my thoughts is when I've had a few drinks. It's really nice.

mik9 wrote:
Especially when I go to bed. It's like my bed is infected with a gazillion thoughts.

I take about 10-15 mg of Melatonin; can't sleep without it most days. Sometimes I need an Ambien. Otherwise? Just too much going on in my head.

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2016, 7:51 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
@Dreadful Dante: Also, I 'm not a man... my profile says female. Or... umm I thought it did :?

Thank you for clarifying it. As I didn't see any info on your gender I just assumed you were a guy (for no special reason). For me it just shows your name, age, time you registered but no gender.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 8:20 pm

I overthink and over-analyze simple situations all the time. Paranoia probably. After a few iterations I catch myself generating some really wild scenarios...

Or maybe things are in fact not what they seem... Then again, I just might be paranoid.

Billywasjr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2016, 8:36 pm

Hmmm.... Let me think about that!

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 10:11 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Oh god, yes.

Only time I can calm my thoughts is when I've had a few drinks. It's really nice.

mik9 wrote:

I take about 10-15 mg of Melatonin; can't sleep without it most days. Sometimes I need an Ambien. Otherwise? Just too much going on in my head.

I just sleep horribly- terribly even. My brain NEVER shuts up... EVER.
I find that when I come to a good break in the querying so to speak my brain has this lull before it revs up again, and I try to sleep then @__@
drinking helps! but is a tad expensive/bad for the liver so I try and stick to melatonin, other sleep aids.... however sometimes im even too amped for that. And I just stay up. :roll:

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 10:36 pm

@Unfortunate_Aspie_: I have those nights too. Those are the ones when I take Ambien. It puts me right out. It has a risk of dependence if overused, so I don't take it when I'm not in that state; but it's really great to have the option when I am.

Maybe ask your doctor about a medication like that for more difficult nights. Just be really sure to note side effects, there can be some scary ones and you want to know what to look out for in case you're one of the people who has them.

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2016, 10:46 pm

I don't always show it IRL but I am constantly analyzing everything a person says to me and they're actions.

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

LOL guilty as charged XD

A friend of mine is concerned that I lack faith in a lot of things because of my negative thinking. I simple cannot find a reason to look at certain outcomes in a positive light because I do not desire to be disappointed. If things go sour then it was expected and if they don't then I am pleasantly surprised.