The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 754 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 1006  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:39 am

Actually, that is a legitament question Merle. I don't like a lot of NT traits and would like to make sure I'm not goign to lose my passion for learning in exchange for wanting to socialize more...especially(but not only) because I really suck at it...seems like it would be pretty frustrating and depressing.

I would mostly like to have inprovement in my ability to not feel so "foggy", executive function and read NVC better. <----though even that, I wonder if it might be better not to know what the hell they are trying to communicate because I don't seem to get much value out of their verbal knowledge, I'm not sure what I would learn from a bunch of monkey movements.

I guess I am just trying to figure out how I can stay alive with out having to become some one else because in that case, I might as well just die and start over. My main problems are the anxiety and job problems...related to anxiety so maybe AS isn't even the real problem. Think my brain just got a hit of the melatonin...off to bed folks.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 3:22 am

krex wrote:
Another thread someone posted a pretty funny new blog about modern day psychiatry and social services. http://www.the-newrepublic.blogspot.com/

One of those things that you laugh until you cry...and then just keep crying.

Yes. It reminded me of Neil, a guy who became famous for being the "mentally ill" ( I now think Aspergers) one out of a group of children selected randomly by the BBC in the 70's to illustrate british youngsters growing up. He started out super lively and sparky and original, ( ADHD?) the most appealing and intelligent out of the 12 children on the programme, called "7-Up", but when he was 21 he dropped out of university and the TV team found him working on a building site. Then at 28 he was homeless/living in temp accom like a caravan in the northern/scottish highlands. Someone provided him with accom as a result of the programme. And he received thousands of letters from people identifying with him. He finally settled down in a house ( council housing?), and even got elected as a rather odd looking local council representative. But I gather things did not stay so rosy, and more recently he was again on the margins.

Too appalling and sad; the mixture of official refusal to believe "Socrates"' story, the abuse/hostility he experienced, and his own disasters, like the fire. :(

:study:

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 3:34 am

krex wrote:
SleepyDragon wrote:
I got slightly lost somewhere between the ingestion of dietary B-vitamin supplements, and how symptoms of autism are affected by the methionine cycle. Nevertheless, there would seem to be a strong argument in favour of eating all your broccoli. :)
That is good news because I LOVE broccili...had it last night in chinese food and tonight I bought some chicken al fredo<---from Pizza Hut and added my own steamed brocilli to it...very good stuff, highly recommend it.

I loved it too, but am now avoiding it along with all the other veg in the cabbage family because apparently they have a suppressant effect on thyroid activity, which I now think is implicated in some of my AS symptoms. A couple of particularly disabling ( irritability, inability to tolerate others company/maintain longterm relationship with anyone, slow speech, easily stressed by changes in routines, sluggishness swinging to over-activity/racing thoughts etc, and others) symptoms of Thyroiditis are the same as AS, and I have other signs of auto-immune thyroid disease so I think it could be a factor.

Also think about all those millions ( 2 ) of years when humans ate no green veg like that. Not more than you could munch pleasantly raw, anyway!

Plenty of folic acid ( is that the one?) in safe foods like parsley or very green lettuce.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 4:19 am

Re: broccoli, ouinon wrote:
Also think about all those millions ( 2 ) of years when humans ate no green veg like that. Not more than you could munch pleasantly raw, anyway!

What makes you think that we didn't eat green veg?

In any case, my preference is for raw broccoli - a barrow-load at a sitting sounds about adequate.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 4:37 am

lau wrote:

Maybe the fact that almost all of the green veg, including the family that broccoli belongs to; etc either didn't exist, are modern/medieval inventions created by crossbreeding/cultivation, or only existed in a much smaller/different form.

Probably the only "green veg" we might have eaten a lot of are "sprouts", the germinating kind, green herbs, and the lettuce family.

Quote:
In any case, my preference is for raw broccoli - a barrow-load at a sitting sounds about adequate.
:lol:
I wonder why so many people on wp who express a preference seem to like broccoli so much ? ( myself included)... ... ...

Last edited by ouinon on 23 May 2008, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:11 am

krex wrote:
Actually, that is a legitament question Merle. I don't like a lot of NT traits and would like to make sure I'm not goign to lose my passion for learning in exchange for wanting to socialize more...especially(but not only) because I really suck at it...seems like it would be pretty frustrating and depressing.

If my passion for all sorts of knowledge and information were neutralized, I might find myself being bored, that does not seem like a fair exchange.

krex wrote:
I would mostly like to have inprovement in my ability to not feel so "foggy", executive function and read NVC better. <----though even that, I wonder if it might be better not to know what the hell they are trying to communicate because I don't seem to get much value out of their verbal knowledge, I'm not sure what I would learn from a bunch of monkey movements.

I am concerned that I spend years of intense study to learn and strive to understand body movement just so I can find out someone does think my new sweater brings out the color of my eyes wonderfully!"

krex wrote:
I guess I am just trying to figure out how I can stay alive with out having to become some one else because in that case, I might as well just die and start over. My main problems are the anxiety and job problems...related to anxiety so maybe AS isn't even the real problem. Think my brain just got a hit of the melatonin...off to bed folks.

I "become someone else" every 18 months to 3 years on a regular basis all my life. It just happens, usually with complete name changes and geographical locations. ( Of course, all these 'subsidiary' personalities are Aspies, too, so it really isn't much of a change, if you get my drift. )

I just want to either get OFF this planet, or feel better about being ON it. For me, that would be 'improvement' but surely not a cure.

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 23 May 2008, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:26 am

ouinon wrote:
lau wrote:

The fact that almost all of the green veg, including the family that broccoli belongs to; etc either didn't exist, are modern/medieval inventions created by crossbreeding/cultivation, or only existed in a much smaller/different form.

Probably the only "green veg" we might have eaten a lot of are "sprouts", the germinating kind, green herbs, and the lettuce family.

Quote:
:lol:
I wonder why so many people on wp who express a preference seem to like broccoli so much ? ( myself included)... ... ...

oooh! botany! and especially HISTORY of botanicals for eating! my favorite!

Quote:
Broccoli's edible flower heads are thought to resemble miniature trees. it seems that the ancient Romans thought similarly, because the name "broccoli" comes from the Latin brachium, which means arm or branch.
Broccoli was derived from wild cabbage by the ancient Etruscans, Eight and a half centuries later, the Roman botanist, Pliny the Elder, wrote about a vegetable which might have been broccoli.

There was virtually nothing recorded on broccoli until the sixteenth century, during which period we do know that the plant was grown in France and Italy. According to Bernard Jensen, Ph.D, in his Foods That Heal (1993), broccoli was not known in the U.S. until 1923, "when the D'Arrigo Brothers Company made a trial planting of Italian sprouting broccoli in California. A few crates of this were sent to Boston, and by 1925, the market was well established. Since then, the demand for broccoli has been steadily on the increase."

but I have to include a dissertation I find particularly fascinating but due to being house broken, ( make that 'chat room broken') I will only reference by a URL hyperlink as to not take up our beautiful Cafe with my perseverations. . .
Timeline of Dietary Habits of Evolutionary Humans
:roll:

Merle

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 12:01 pm

Thank you for the history of broccoli and the link, sinsboldly.

I discovered the "Beyond Vegetarianism" site just a few weeks ago. It was wonderful to read about other people who'd been through extreme diet phases, and changed from one to another. I felt very at home. :wink:

Particularly appreciate the last paragraph in which point out how the dietary changes as a result of the neolithic revolution have had an almost entirely negative effect on our health.

Last edited by ouinon on 23 May 2008, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:18 pm

ouinon wrote:

Humans started eating something crunchy early after our split from the other apes. One thing that distinguishes our teeth from those of the other apes is thick enamel. You need that only for eating abrasive things. Fruit and meat don't fit the bill. Root vegetables are the most likely candidate in the kind of woodland that became more common about the time of the split from the other apes.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 12:29 pm

Gromit wrote:
Humans started eating something crunchy early after our split from the other apes. One thing that distinguishes our teeth from those of the other apes is thick enamel. You need that only for eating abrasive things. Fruit and meat don't fit the bill. Root vegetables are the most likely candidate in the kind of woodland that became more common about the time of the split from the other apes.

Absolutely, that's why I specified "green veg" in my post about broccoli being a modern etc food. I know humans have eaten tubers/roots, aswell as nuts and seeds for hundreds of thousands of years.

Last edited by ouinon on 23 May 2008, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 12:46 pm

Lurking. :nerdy:

krex
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:00 pm

I loved the "7-UP" series and always had a bit of a crush on Niel...handsome bloke :wink: reminded me of a few guys I dated and I do think he is aspie not schizophrenic. I have seen all the follow up movies except the last one, which I haven't been able to find....maybe need to check on Ebay.

Thyroid.....oh, the irony? kills me on this one. So, I went to my appointment several weeks ago and was told my thyroid was low and she would write me a new prescription. I just happened to look on my meds today and realized she wrote it for the same amount as the old one 8O How many years do these people go to medical school? ANyway, easy enough to call her and get it cleared up but back to square one on trying to get my system balanced. I still can't give up my broccoli, I have to many food "issues" to replace the one vegetable I actually enjoy eating<----keeps me "regular" to :wink:

Merle...I can relate. It doesn't seem like to much to ask from life, does it.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 6:45 pm

Lurking.....

And I didn't have any broccoli today so you don't have to worry about strange sounds under your bed.....

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 8:32 pm

if you're an indy jones fan, you'll enjoy the new one. {cue the music ...}
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTJ4v6KPrg[/youtube]

good fun. :lol:

I still think this the best of the lot of them, though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNTV61FeAs[/youtube]

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:49 pm

Can't link to this — it's from one of my cookbooks — so I'll post it.

"One single species of Brassica, B. oleracea, is one of the most varied (and perhaps the most varied) of all living things.

"Brassica oleracea began its botanical career inauspiciously enough, as a sprawling and not outstandingly leafy plant of coastlands around Britain and the Mediterranean, which sent up a spike of four-petalled yellow flowers in its second year. (It is these cross-shaped flowers that gave rise to the family name, Cruciferae.) But primitive farmers obviously recognized some special talent in this hardy weed, for they began to cultivate it. They bred varieties that were still primitive, but were more leafy and were hardy and hot flavored. These are now known as kale. They developed some with a swollen but aborted terminal bud; we call them cabbages. In others the stem was lengthened, and the axillary rather than the terminal buds were encouraged to develop; these are brussels sprouts. Some kinds were bred with grotesquely swollen flower buds; we know them as cauliflowers and broccoli. Finally, varieties were bred with swollen stem bases; we call them kohlrabi.

"The cabbage, like the potato, has suffered from its institutional image, and from bad cooking. In truth it is the prince of vegetables, with a generous range of minerals and vitamins and a by no means negligible quota of protein.... The brussels sprout is slightly less versatile but even higher in protein; its four percent vies with spinach. Cauliflower is only a modest protein source (less than two percent), but its low-calorie, flavorsome bulk is a useful dilutant in diets which — as in Western countries — tend to be too concentrated in energy and fat.

"... The turnip, Brassica campestris, has been cultivated for thousands of years.... The larger rutabaga may have arisen in Bohemia (Czechoslovakia) in the seventeenth century, as a hybrid of B. campestris and B. oleracea. The turnip is not truly a swollen root, but a swollen hypocotyl; the bit of the plant between the root proper and the first embryonic leaves. The rutabaga includes a swollen hypocotyl fused to the swollen stem base. The way to distinguish rutabagas from turnips is not by color... but by the presence of leaf scars around the 'neck' of the rutabaga. In kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea) the swelling is confined to the stem. It is as if Brassicas just have a tendency to lay down big round food stores, which move up and down the stem and root from species to species like a can of beans in the neck of a pantomime ostrich."

— from Future Food, Colin Tudge, 1980

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 11:20 pm

SleepyDragon wrote:
"One single species of Brassica, B. oleracea, is perhaps the most varied of all living things.

The mustard family is indeed one of the most varied vegetable families today. Mustard, the plant, and preparation, is also one of the most irritant natural foods known to humans.
Quote:
It began its botanical career inauspiciously enough, but primitive farmers obviously recognized some special talent in this hardy weed, for they began to cultivate it.

Mustard stimulates the digestion. Which they may have found helpful when eating starchy carbohydrates, which are actually only digested in the mouth, by the amylase in our saliva.

It would also have been a way of making an increasingly carbohydrate based diet tastier.

And perhaps because it provides some of the vitamins and minerals that people previously obtained from meat, particularly Vitamin Bs.
Quote:
They bred varieties that were still primitive, and hot flavored. They developed some with a swollen but aborted terminal bud. Some kinds were bred with grotesquely swollen flower buds. Finally, varieties were bred with swollen stem bases.

These days they would be banned as too genetically modified. :wink: They don't sound very appetising described like that.