Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

As anyone who knows me knows(Slave, kraftiekortie,etc, mah friends), I am an atheistic individual, and an existentialist. To me though, there is one thing that could be awe inspiring like a god would be: reality and existence itself. The math behind it. How it works, from quantum mechanics to supernovae to human biology, i love it all and it is what humbles me. When i stare at the e\surface of a river, that is when i see 'god', when someone is a good person and acts to do good, that is when they have a metaphorical 'soul'. Existence is the parent and birth of reality. Reality is a product of existence, and existence of reality. I love this working, this beauty. I once cam close to shutting down form trying to think about reality. I love it.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 8:08 pm

Thank you for this. I mean it.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2016, 8:12 pm

no prob fnord. hurray respect for reality and existence!

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 4:57 am

Einsteinmyhero,

I am astonished that you assume the notion that all of reality can be confined to mathematics and physical laws. George Ellis, a leading cosmologist himself in a response to Krauss' Universe from Nothing, said that the idea that all of reality can be comprehended by means of the law of nature is nothing more then a fantasy.

As a professional cosmologist and physicist myself, I marvel on how well and delicate the laws and constants of nature seem to be surprisingly tailored for our existence. For instance, the cosmological constant in the Freidmann equation derived from Einstein's field equation (My Ph.D thesis in theoretical physics concerns with the derived homogeneous and isotrpic FLRW metric of the Einstein field equations), is very well set for galaxies and stars to form. It cannot differ by 1 part in 10^120! We are on the razor's edge of existence.

What gives equations and formulas their fire? For me, the expansion of knowledge of physics and nature, do not shrink the importance of God, merely enlarges it!

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." -Psalm 19

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:12 am

Quote:
Reality is my god.

whatever you consider reality to be

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:22 am

Deltaville wrote:
Einsteinmyhero, I am astonished that you assume the notion that all of reality can be confined to mathematics and physical laws. ...
It is no surprise at all that anyone would believe in myths, lies, and legends - parents fill our heads with this nonsense from infancy to adolescence. What is a surprise is that some exceptional people grow up and throw away their childish beliefs in favor of practical knowledge, which is presented badly in our schools and media. Practical materialists make a difference, and there are too few of us. The rest do not, and there are too many of them.

Quoting verses from faith-based books as if they were somehow irresistible magic spells does nothing to convince us of their alleged validity.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:14 am

Fnord wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
Einsteinmyhero, I am astonished that you assume the notion that all of reality can be confined to mathematics and physical laws. ...
It is no surprise at all that anyone would believe in myths, lies, and legends - parents fill our heads with this nonsense from infancy to adolescence. What is a surprise is that some exceptional people grow up and throw away their childish beliefs in favor of practical knowledge, which is presented badly in our schools and media. Practical materialists make a difference, and there are too few of us. The rest do not, and there are too many of them.

Quoting verses from faith-based books as if they were somehow irresistible magic spells does nothing to convince us of their alleged validity.

but alas fnord, you do nothing to make me believe you know the deeper reality of my world better than i do.
you may wear your tie dyed skirts and stuff as you dance around people with your conjectures and speculations, but you have no way to assess my future, and i may not be the only one who sees the hollowness in your replies, but if i am, so be it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:51 am

I see lots of Ralph Waldo Emerson in what Einstein is saying.

I believe in this sort of thing, too.

The Mechanisms of Nature on earth, and all which encompasses the Universe (most of which, alas, we don't know personally), are just so amazing!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 8:21 am

Quote:
To me though, there is one thing that could be awe inspiring like a god would be: reality and existence itself.

One of my physics professors in college was from Missouri.

After discussing a physics principal he would say, "I'm from the show me state" (Missouri slogan).

So, let's see it!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 8:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Mechanisms of Nature on earth, and all which encompasses the Universe ... are just so amazing!
When I consider the fact that resistance multiplied by current multiplied by power factor equals voltage every time, and then compare it to the arbitrary "miracles" of myth and legend (which are, in reality, morality plays only), I am amazed at how a consistent and predictable universe is often ignored by those who prefer pleasant fables to simple truths.

Reality Matters!
(Pun intended)

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2016, 8:28 am

I do not understand the request, lovenothate.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 8:32 am

einsteinmyhero wrote:

His point was you should see it in reality, not take the word of a physics book.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 8:36 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
einsteinmyhero wrote:
His point was you should judge based on reality, not some physics book.
Physics books more accurately describe reality than any religious doctrine on the subject.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 8:41 am

I think LoveNotHate was talking in general. I don't believe LoveNotHate was asking you to provide any evidence to what you are saying.

Her physics professor, who was from Missouri (the Show-Me State) believe in people showing him/her the evidence, the proof, of any hypothesis. He/she wanted people to "show" him/her how something is true.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2016, 8:51 am

I believe i undertsand now. But some things, like the entropy of a black hole, must be calculated due to distance, danger, and the fact that black holes bend reality around them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 8:57 am

Would it be nice if we could actually send a spaceship to a black hole--and have it survive its impact?

I sometimes wonder if our laws of physics here on Earth apply within, say, the Andromeda Galaxy.