Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zylon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2016, 8:17 pm

The profile section of this forum forces me to state whether I am male or female. Since my mind and soul are neither, what information does this give? What do people assume about me when they read what gender my body is? My avatar tells much better about my "gender" than my birth anatomy does. Why does this forum make us choose a gender?
I have some traits loosely associated with male (e.g.mathematical thinking, not wanting to be a nurse) and female (e.g. warmly intimate, non-competitive, not wanting to play sports or to be physical). Sex, in the usual sense of the word, is not part of me. I much prefer to be with females than males (not due to any similarity between us), and I do find some people "special", and they are always female. I do not know what "romantic" means enough to say if the happiness I would get just to be with a person is romantic or not, but it is deep, dreamy, important, and totally "G-rated". What does that make me?
Why does this forum make us choose a gender?

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 9:03 pm

I don't know why it makes us choose male or female, but that definitely needs to be changed.

I guess if you're neither, you can just pick randomly?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 9:08 pm

I agree, we should not be forced to answer this question.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2016, 10:20 pm

:lmao:

Zylon

16 Jun 2016, 1:17 am

AnaHitori wrote:

I guess if you're neither, you can just pick randomly?

My physical appearance and anatomy is definitely male, so I would feel uncomfortable saying that I am female. I would rather not have to deal with that, and avoid the prejudice either gender would create. I'm glad that I don't have to give my age, because inside I do not change; I am always the same age. My physical appearance is constantly changing my age image, which causes horrible prejudice and constantly changing expectations. Intellectually I am a 200 year old man; by warmth, caring, and sense of responsibility, I am a 40 year old woman; otherwise I would be best seen as a 7 year old girl. As far as being similar to another person, I am an alien from another planet. As far as my ever changing physical appearance, I'd rather not say. What age and gender does my avatar look like?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:36 am

Zylon wrote:
The profile section of this forum forces me to state whether I am male or female. Since my mind and soul are neither, what information does this give? ...
AnaHitori wrote:
I don't know why it makes us choose male or female, but that definitely needs to be changed. ...
The profile asks for your sex, which is biological. You want to express your gender, which is behavioral.

If expressing your gender is important to you, then put it in your signature space. That way, every post you submit will include an announcement of your gender identification.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:44 am

i think the question is aimed at establishing whether you have a penile protuberance or a vaginal invagination.
there can only be one answer to either of the questions.
beyond that, i guess it is up to you to maintain the momentum of your notions.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 9:27 am

Quote:
i think the question is aimed at establishing whether you have a penile protuberance or a vaginal invagination.
there can only be one answer to either of the questions.

No, for the last time, there is not only one answer to this question. I don't intend to be antagonistic, but people who have no idea about diversity really should stop stating this to be fact if they want to avoid insulting others, or being simply incorrect. And anyway, what is people's obsession with needing to be told what is in another person's underwear? How is that anyone's business? Why should that matter at all unless you're going to be having sex with this person?
Quote:
I have some traits loosely associated with male (e.g.mathematical thinking, not wanting to be a nurse) and female (e.g. warmly intimate, non-competitive, not wanting to play sports or to be physical).

Oooo, make that very loosely. Just because someone is a man doesn't stop him from being intimate, gentle, or not particularly into sports, or precludes him from being a nurse. Just because someone is woman doesn't make her incapable of being fierce, methodical, cool natured, or a rugby player for that matter.
Making people into caricatures based on their sexual organs is never helpful, in my opinion.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

I used to make this a big deal on other forums and sites, but not anymore. I've had soooo many people think I'm a man because I mention my wife a lot. I use female pronouns occasionally, but am actually genderfluid, so either way it's perfectly fine with me. I don't care how people see me biologically. My gender is nonspecific, and I prefer to leave it up to other people to view me how they please. Some of my friends call me a boy and refer to me as "he/him." Others see me as a girl and refer to me as "she/her."

I understand it's important to other people to label how they feel, but even with my profile on here saying "FEMALE" and possessing a rather young or effeminate avatar, I've had people call me a guy anyway.

If it's that much of an issue to you, you can always just change it to "female." The only person who is going to know your biological gender over the internet is you.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 10:35 am

Fnord wrote:
The profile asks for your sex, which is biological. You want to express your gender, which is behavioral.

When I check my profile, it says 'gender', not 'sex'.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 10:36 am

C2V wrote:
And anyway, what is people's obsession with needing to be told what is in another person's underwear? How is that anyone's business? Why should that matter at all unless you're going to be having sex with this person?

Heh, true.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 4:09 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When I check my profile, it says 'gender', not 'sex'.
Well ... I'll be damned! I was wrong! I'm sorry about that.

Still, the idea about the signature line is still valid - if something is important enough to you that you feel the need to make a statement about it for everyone to see, then it's best to put it in your signature line.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 4:57 pm

Just having a look at WP, not been here for six years. Rerealized this gender thing. Saying you need to be one of the genders is like saying you can only be NT in this world. It is denial of the obvious.

I have several trans friends and I also have an intersex friend, the latter one actually has cells with XX and cells with XY. I guess they wouldn't be welcome here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:41 pm

frag wrote:
Just having a look at WP, not been here for six years. Rerealized this gender thing. Saying you need to be one of the genders is like saying you can only be NT in this world. It is denial of the obvious. I have several trans friends and I also have an intersex friend, the latter one actually has cells with XX and cells with XY. I guess they wouldn't be welcome here.
Based on what? Again, there are alternatives to declaring anything in your profile.

Better yet, why not start a website of your own, and dedicate it to all of your LGBTQ friends? That way, you would be certain to have a warm, friendly environment that is perfectly suited for them, and no one would have any reason to complain.

Alex did just that for the ASD community, and look how well it's turned out!

Well, except for the whiners, spammers, and trolls, that is ...

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm

Gender isn't a profile option it seems. I guess I was asked up front when I registered. Who's business is it anyway? It should be optional.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
frag wrote:
Just having a look at WP, not been here for six years. Rerealized this gender thing. Saying you need to be one of the genders is like saying you can only be NT in this world. It is denial of the obvious. I have several trans friends and I also have an intersex friend, the latter one actually has cells with XX and cells with XY. I guess they wouldn't be welcome here.
Based on what? Again, there are alternatives to declaring anything in your profile.

Better yet, why not start a website of your own, and dedicate it to all of your LGBTQ friends? That way, you would be certain to have a warm, friendly environment that is perfectly suited for them, and no one would have any reason to complain.

Alex did just that for the ASD community, and look how well it's turned out!

Well, except for the whiners, spammers, and trolls, that is ...

You HAVE to choose male or female.

And I do have my own web page.

You think I am a troll and a whiner for having a need to be accepted for what I am? Fine, there are loads like you who are against acceptance and progress. I'm used to your kind. Please carry on.