Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 12:56 am

If you could rename this forum, what would you call it? (Wishful thinking, I know)

Since it feels like another planet on Wrong Planet, I came up with:

Dark Side of the Moon.

Other ideas?

BigT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2007, 1:51 am

It's cheesy but: Aspie Land.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:20 pm

I guess people here have more important things to think about than a better name for this forum. Or maybe you all know something I don't know - should I be paranoid I did something wrong? Uh-oh I'm getting nervous. Can I change the name of the thread???

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:33 pm

I agree with you aylissa, In-Depth really doesn't describe what we discuss. And the Adult tag sounds like it's sexual in nature. I would liked something along the lines of Dino Aspie Land...

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:54 pm

i'm not someone that is able to come up with a name but i do agree that "in-depth adult" s***s

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:56 pm

How about Geezer Gang? :lol:

Mescalero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2007, 3:12 pm

How about Keep The Aspiedistra Flying...?

Rubbish lol

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 6:36 pm

aylissa wrote:
I guess people here have more important things to think about than a better name for this forum. Or maybe you all know something I don't know - should I be paranoid I did something wrong? Uh-oh I'm getting nervous. Can I change the name of the thread???

I think about it too.
Actually dislike (Gasp !) the word "Dino" but I haven't a better universally acceptable phrase. Old, aged, grownup: none sounds accurate or neutral. Existing "adult" section seems like teenagers wanting to get the dirty dirt on adult issues-then where can the adults go for non-juvenile style replies ? Hence this new section...hopefully.
If only people observed the "honor system" of not hijacking each others' threads in directions that prevent others from wanting to continue posting. Not against personality differences-just wish people who want to be silly & those who want to be serious would respect each other's threads. Ought every new thread have disclaimer (to prevent members feeling infringed upon) in title saying "if you're silly don't post here" or "if you're serious, don't post here" ?
Intend no conflagration or aggravation by mentioning this cyclic pattern. Know it's not simple, doesn't keep me from wondering how to improve social aspects & minimize hostility/resentment. Human nature is not easy to deal with, and we're all separate individuals with both dovetailing concordances as well as uncomfortable (itchy/ouchy) friction-y bits.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 6:54 pm

Belfast wrote:
If only people observed the "honor system" of not hijacking each others' threads in directions that prevent others from wanting to continue posting. Not against personality differences-just wish people who want to be silly & those who want to be serious would respect each other's threads. Ought every new thread have disclaimer (to prevent members feeling infringed upon) in title saying "if you're silly don't post here" or "if you're serious, don't post here" ?

Sometimes, seriousness is contained in
what appear to be jokes.

Moreover, on the issue of any such disclaimer,
won't these be used for other discriminations
as well then? If you are not Christian, don't post
here, comes to mind.

Threads are public discourse. Not a means of publishing
one viewpoint. If the site undertook a strict policy towards
threads remaining on topic, that would be one thing, but
that doesn't seem to be alex's intention (for which I'm glad);
rather, they ebb and flow like a natural conversation.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 6:59 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I agree with you aylissa, In-Depth really doesn't describe what we discuss. And the Adult tag sounds like it's sexual in nature. I would liked something along the lines of Dino Aspie Land...

Than this would be assuming people posting here are older which most are admittedly but there are a few younger one's, myself included that enjoy the in-depth and wise company of older individuals.

Quote:
Existing "adult" section seems like teenagers wanting to get the dirty dirt on adult issues-then where can the adults go for non-juvenile style replies

Agreed, I've kept my opinions to myself for most of the stupid posts there. Annoying trash of who's hot and who's screwing who. WHO CARES?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 7:03 pm

Belfast wrote:
I think about it too.
Actually dislike (Gasp !) the word "Dino" but I haven't a better universally acceptable phrase. Old, aged, grownup: none sounds accurate or neutral. Existing "adult" section seems like teenagers wanting to get the dirty dirt on adult issues-then where can the adults go for non-juvenile style replies ? Hence this new section...hopefully.
Intend no conflagration or aggravation by mentioning this cyclic pattern. Know it's not simple, doesn't keep me from wondering how to improve social aspects & minimize hostility/resentment. Human nature is not easy to deal with, and we're all separate individuals with both dovetailing concordances as well as uncomfortable (itchy/ouchy) friction-y bits.

I dislike the word 'dino' too. for one thing i'm not sure whether it's pronounce dyno or deeno or what. secondly i had some very unpleasant experiences in the dino cafe and the name reminds me of the clique that dominated that thread. i think we need to move away from that clique.

i don't have any problems with the current title/description it's good enough.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:52 pm

[quote="Belfast Actually dislike (Gasp !) the word "Dino" .[/quote]

oh, gawd bless you, Belfast! So do I

Merle

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:16 am

So we're all agreed then, the nickname should be Dark Side of the Moon? Cuz we all got off on that album 20 years ago?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:33 am

sorry but i hated dark side of the moon, still do!
i heard it too many times at other people's places in my teenage years.

yeah the 'in depth' thing may well prove untrue because obviously we talk as much 'shallow' as any age group, gotta keep some light amongst the shade. that bit could go.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:36 am

But did you listen to it by yourself with headphones on, all the way through, on a record player? That was a memorable experience for me.

MS told me tonight the one time he stood in line to buy tix for anything was for 1989 Pink Floyd Tickets at the Oakland Coliseum, and he got 14th row center. 8O

I've NEVER stood in line for any tickets, ever. Hate the whole planning/competition/stress of it all.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 7:03 pm

I think even us older, in real years, have in, one form or another, commented on the mental aspect of our maturity.
I have yet to come up with a wording for this part of the site, that makes it more open and still allows the point of age to be in play.
Not sure I can sum it up, certianly not for others. For me, I have felt stunted, by the ouside world in one form or another.
I certianly in many ways enjoy who I am and find extreme comfort in what I'm allowed to be, here at WP.
That at WP, I feel I can grow among others and not fear, too much :wink:, a divine retrebution because I enjoy my pudding before I eat my meat.
I don't recall ever not being a little more at ease, running with an older crowd. The problem I face here, now, you get much older and they have
a nasty habit of dying on you 8O

A label will never please eveybody. It's like me shopping for my idea of a perfect coffee maker, they just don't make it. I still look for it though.
If any part of the welcome here bothers me more then another, the description for entry, it's the mental age.
Thats a very hard call. Times I certianly don't think I'm even at that mental age, other times, well, I don't really know what real age I would be.
Maybe ancient would be close.