Page 4 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 10:35 pm

AnodyneInsect wrote:
I can identify with this. I didn't have friends until after highschool but they never stayed long. I knew what I liked doing but there is no steady work or pay for the things I do. I didn't have a car, a house, or children like my peers. It took a long while for me to find a person for a good relationship and really understand what to do for my course of study. I wasn't diagnosed till way late so there was a lot of pressure from my parents wanting me to be normal like my younger sisters who did go to proms, socialized, knew right away what they wanted in college and were able to take a full class load, get married, have children, successful careers, nice houses and cars. Each year I worried about how my family saw me as a loser who just couldn't get my life together. Right now I am taking one college class at a time and my nieces and nephew are in highschool and I know I will not be finished my degree before they go to college.

What I have learned over all this time is, as horrible as it seems, you can only push on at your pace and not to insult yourself about it. I do not know what your resources are, if you have access to a college advisor that can help you explore what you really want to go for. I can only tell you whether it is online, college or no, you are a real valuable person and do not let anyone bring you down.

I am not in college at the moment and even when I was in college, the advisors didn't know what to do with me. I don't fit in anywhere. I'm always going home alone while so many other guys my age are enjoying living their dreams and dating or enjoying their time with their wives every night.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:11 pm

I am still in a rut. :(

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 9:38 pm

I feel like I missed out on many milestones in my developmental years and it's too late to achieve them now as an adult. I'm not even a late bloomer; I haven't bloomed at all. I hoped that my 20's would be better than my teens but they have been just as bad if not worse.

Things I missed out on:
- Young love. I never dated in my school years and I never went to prom. Most people my age are either dating or married and I'm staying at home all alone.
- Finding my passion. I could never figure out what passion in life was supposed to be. Even though I loved music, I sucked at playing the guitar. I couldn't draw well despite my interest in it. I can't write a story since I'll either get writer's block or I will feel bored with what I am coming up with. Most people my age have become super talented and have something interesting to show to others all the time while I never do.
- Deciding on a career path. I never could decide what I wanted to be when I grew up and if I had an idea, it would've gotten shot down by others. I'm stuck working a dead end part time job at a public library making near poverty level income and I'm still living with my mother who has been a big part of destroying my self-esteem.
- Finding my niche. I never fit in with the social groups at my school. I wasn't redneck, ghetto, geeky, skater, gothic, punk, religious, and preppy and my parents were constantly hounding me with "Don't do this, don't do that!".

I feel like all I have left in this life is just to stay depressed until I finally exit. It feels like if you've missed out on certain things, you'll never get second chances since they are required for adulthood.

yeah. well, i am 34 years old. thus far, i have not found young love. although i ain't particularly "young" anymore. some branches of the army do not let recruits age 34 enlist.

in the military, someone my height/sex that is 18 has to weigh a certain amount. that standard is looser for 34 year olds. likewise, the percent body fat standards are looser.

moreover, i have yet to find a passion. quite frankly, i strongly suspect. that maybe i ain't got no passion. :?: maybe the solar system don't contain nothing that i love to do, & don't contain nothing that i am good at doing. :nerdy: while the solar system contains a lot of things, & it is impossible to "prove" statement. (fine). but, it is also not physically possible to try out every last activity. likewise, there is no law that says that everyone has to have a passion.

someone with a lot of passion and job skills and a high IQ score ain't higher than someone without any of that.

career path. :roll: 4th year undergrad. flunked out structural engineering. got BS in cognitive science. 2.19 gpa too low for grad school. and not many jobs require a cognitive science degree. wasted a lot of time applying for jobs. got ignored, rejected. of the few that hired me, none required a degree. and the ones that hired me, fired me quickly too.

niche. i never have, and do not fit in. quite frankly, suspect that i never will fit in either.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 10:30 pm

^^^I also suck at playin' the gitfiddle, but I will say I suck more distinctively and with more flair, than any other sucky guitarist. :mrgreen:

lark265
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2023, 8:20 pm

I guess the lagging started around 16 or 17 years old. I sort of noticed my peers in high school start to have clear pathways. It seemed like they KNEW what they wanted as they were moving to graduate from high school. Not me. It's like I hit a brick wall. Also in college....I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea what I wanted to study or do for my profession. That sense again of my peers moving on to clear aspirations for life. The train left without me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 10:49 pm

^^^it is like you took the words right outta my mouth. :o utterly the same experience here. :|

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 5:57 am

lark265 wrote:
I guess the lagging started around 16 or 17 years old. I sort of noticed my peers in high school start to have clear pathways. It seemed like they KNEW what they wanted as they were moving to graduate from high school. Not me. It's like I hit a brick wall. Also in college....I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea what I wanted to study or do for my profession. That sense again of my peers moving on to clear aspirations for life. The train left without me.

That was very true for me at that age and for a long while after.

I now think that we're doomed to unhappiness if we insist on measuring ourselves by NT standards and milestones. We're different, and our paths are different, too.

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2023, 6:10 am

lark265 wrote:

Luck has a huge part of it. Being able to take s**t from other people is also, too. Most young adults are not even told exactly what they should do.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2023, 7:06 pm

I feel for you. I missed a lot of milestones too. Because I was expelled from high school in 10th grade, I didn't get to go to either my junior prom or senior prom. I did graduate from high school, but I wasn't allowed at the graduation ceremony. I also never finished college. And on top of that, I never belonged to any school clubs or teams.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 12:52 am

The OP has not been around for 2-1/2 years. Maybe it's time this thread was locked.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 10:28 am

NibiruMul wrote:
I feel for you. I missed a lot of milestones too. Because I was expelled from high school in 10th grade, I didn't get to go to either my junior prom or senior prom. I did graduate from high school, but I wasn't allowed at the graduation ceremony. I also never finished college. And on top of that, I never belonged to any school clubs or teams.

After 2nd grade the school told my parents there is nothing we can do for him. Home school him or put him in a private school. Schools could do that because there was no legal requirement that all kids have to be educated. There was no IEP or special needs schools. In retrospect I was lucky not to be institutionalized and forgotten about as so many of us undiagnosed autistics were. Anyway my parents found a private school and because of the small class size I did a lot better.

Back to the topic of the thread there are many experiences most have had that I have not and that puts me at a disadvantage, no way around that. But that is mitigated by the good experiences I have had and the bad experiences missed out on.

Of all the milestones I missed out on prom is the least important. I had no desire to attend it. The ritual seemed silly to me then and still does.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2023, 7:25 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
I now think that we're doomed to unhappiness if we insist on measuring ourselves by NT standards and milestones. We're different, and our paths are different, too.

Absolutely this. The entire concepts of "missing out" and "milestones" are NT ones.

One of my regrets is that the only chess opening I bothered to study in any depth when I was younger was the Traxler (Wilkes-Barre) variation of the Two Knights' Defence. If I said that to an NT, they'd just look at me in a strange way. But I know there will be a few autistic people who will identify.

There is a God.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 11:29 am

JamesW wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:

Absolutely this. The entire concepts of "missing out" and "milestones" are NT ones.

One of my regrets is that the only chess opening I bothered to study in any depth when I was younger was the Traxler (Wilkes-Barre) variation of the Two Knights' Defence. If I said that to an NT, they'd just look at me in a strange way. But I know there will be a few autistic people who will identify.

‘Missing Out’ or not experiencing things that would be of benefit is universal. Neurology probably plays a role in what those things are.

The concept of milestones was around when we were growing up but there is much more emphasis on them today. That is not good because ours are atypical.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Struggle7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2023, 11:58 am

Yeah, I feel the same way. Never asked out in high school. People didn't like me. Boys teased me about my looks, therefore shattering my self-esteem.

When I was finally asked out, I didn't know how to behave, or what to do. We went back to his apartment and made out even though I barely knew anything about him. He dumped me after three dates because he probably thought I was leading him on, even though I didn't know what I was doing.

I remember my mom being furious that someone asked me out. Now that I'm older, I think deep down inside she never really wanted me to grow up, or work for a living. It's not like she and dad had a bunch of money. If they had left me a heatlhy trust fund, my life would have been better, but I feel like she stunted my growth in some ways. I remember confronting her about it once, asking her if she was going to never die and always take care of me.

And that's sort of how it's turned out. She eventually died. I ended up with teenager-type jobs and never really moved up to an adult job. I finally moved to China to have a shot at a better-paying job, but ended up being fired from several positions.

But yeah, I never had young love, never went to the prom, etc. I've only had one relationship in my entire life, and the boyfriend was probably a C. Not terrible, but not great.

And I feel the only type of guy I would be comfortable with is someone who is at my same level. Someone looking for that innocent romance. As it is, I'm nearly 57 and guys my age aren't too keen on taking it slow. And dating seems terrible nowadays. Combine that with my tendency to attract potentially dangerous men, and fantasies seem a much safer route to take.

I'm feeling very angry about several things this Christmas Eve. Hoping that everyone reading this has some sort of peace and happiness this holiday season. Thanks for posting this. You're not the only one who feels they have "missed out."

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2023, 4:01 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
‘Missing Out’ or not experiencing things that would be of benefit is universal. Neurology probably plays a role in what those things are.

The concept of milestones was around when we were growing up but there is much more emphasis on them today. That is not good because ours are atypical.

My apologies. I was being pedantic regarding 'missing out'. I don't always express myself very well. Words can be triggering.

Nowadays the term 'missing out' isn't used specifically for things that would be of benefit, but for anything someone would want to sell us or pressure us into conforming to. It's become shallow and meaningless. I'd like it chucked out and replaced by a more honest term, maybe something like 'unfulfilled life desires'.

There is a God.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 1:56 am

Appears to me that there’s an automatic assessment on the neurotypical side of interactions that the autistic isn’t worthy of attention. Completely under the level of awareness of course, but all the more impenetrable as a result.

I’ve given up.