Page 70 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 108  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:51 am

Purdue: ‘Avoid’ Words with ‘Man’ in Them

Quote:
A writing guide at Purdue University advises students to avoid words with “man” in them — such as “mailman” and “mankind” — in order to write “in a non-sexist, non-biased way.”

“Although MAN in its original sense carried the dual meaning of adult human and adult male, its meaning has come to be so closely identified with adult male that the generic use of MAN and other words with masculine markers should be avoided,” the guide states.

“Writing in a non-sexist, non-biased way is both ethically sound and effective,” it advises. “Non-sexist writing is necessary for most audiences; if you write in a sexist manner and alienate much of your audience from your discussion, your writing will be much less effective.”

According to the guide, “mankind” should be replaced with words such as “humanity,” “people,” and “human beings,” and “mailman” should be replaced with “mail carrier.” One of the other words it cautions against is “man-made,” suggesting that students use instead the word “synthetic,” “manufactured,” or “machine-made.”

Do not these language police notice that “manufactured” has “man” in it?

Confession I have used the word woMAN many times in my life. I apologize for propagating and enabling patriarchal microagressions by using the W word. Oh dear I apologize for offending other short people by using the word MICROaggressions

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:57 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
I still use people-centered language.

me too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:14 am

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The prep school is having students play musical chairs a game more appropriate for first graders not 6th through 12th graders.

In this case litigation is being used instead of other techniques to attempt to eliminate every risk in life.

Both of the above shows the adults babying and spoiling these kids which creates SJW’s.
Litigious society does that also.

You still haven't made any connection between this and any sort of 'social justice'. If they're not fighting for 'social justice' it's absurd to insist this has anything to do with so-called 'social justice warriors'. Not all whiners are the SJW boogieman.

SJW the pejorative term is not about social justice but an attitude, a way of looking at the world. SJW’s think a lot of things are about social justice when they are not. A key component of the SJW world view is the attempt to eliminate all risk.

This suit is not may not be about social justice per se but it is likely informed or influenced by SJW type thinking. The speading of SJW mentality into the larger society is relevent to the threads topic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

psycopathicteen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2018, 11:41 am

The problem with SJWs is that they can't let go of their own fear mongering mantra.

Like these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUKFsci84g&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY2lSSqgQ5s

Interesting how both people got banned by the same person. :roll:

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 11:51 am

Aaendi got banned yesterday? Why? I didn't feel he was an antagonist. Even Bandodger was in my opinion worse. And Moro, well while he seeks arguments, I know plenty of autistic people like him and have known him outside of WP for years now.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:01 pm

^ He was banned because he keep posting topic after topic minimizing rape, and had a general misogynistic attitude towards women.

Truthfully, I should've banned him a long time ago. Of course, this will just lead to more people insisting that all the mods are ultra-liberal, man-hating feminists, but, seeing as how "feminist" has come to mean, "a person I disagree with," I don't care.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

psycopathicteen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm

He's just like that because he got raped in college and got blamed for it.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:48 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
and had a general misogynistic attitude towards women.

I wonder what does that mean.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:55 pm

psycopathicteen wrote:
He's just like that because he got raped in college and got blamed for it.

That's unfortunate, but it's not the job of this forum to perpetually tolerate his sh_tty attitude.

Quote:
I wonder what does that mean.

It means he had a generally misogynistic attitude towards women.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:11 pm

I do hope that word is being used correctly. It has become my most hated word because no one uses it correctly. And because so many use it. You can be deeply sexist and chauvinistic and not one iota misogynistic. People like to slap the word hate on any dissenting view of certain topics, such as being anti-gay. At least there it often is motivated by hate, but it can just as easily be someone viewing a homosexual relationship with roughly the same mindset as looking at someone writing 2+2 = 5. It's just wrong to them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The prep school is having students play musical chairs a game more appropriate for first graders not 6th through 12th graders.

In this case litigation is being used instead of other techniques to attempt to eliminate every risk in life.

Both of the above shows the adults babying and spoiling these kids which creates SJW’s.
Litigious society does that also.

You still haven't made any connection between this and any sort of 'social justice'. If they're not fighting for 'social justice' it's absurd to insist this has anything to do with so-called 'social justice warriors'. Not all whiners are the SJW boogieman.

SJW the pejorative term is not about social justice but an attitude, a way of looking at the world. SJW’s think a lot of things are about social justice when they are not. A key component of the SJW world view is the attempt to eliminate all risk.

This suit is not may not be about social justice per se but it is likely informed or influenced by SJW type thinking. The speading of SJW mentality into the larger society is relevent to the threads topic.

So you concede it's essentially a meaningless term in your usage?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:27 pm

Drake wrote:
I do hope that word is being used correctly. It has become my most hated word because no one uses it correctly. And because so many use it. You can be deeply sexist and chauvinistic and not one iota misogynistic. People like to slap the word hate on any dissenting view of certain topics, such as being anti-gay. At least there it often is motivated by hate, but it can just as easily be someone viewing a homosexual relationship with roughly the same mindset as looking at someone writing 2+2 = 5. It's just wrong to them.

No, in my, and the other mod's, estimation, he had a sh_tty, misogynistic attitude towards women.

Even if you want to argue that it wasn't "technically" misogynistic, it still wasn't acceptable.

Ironically, people criticize SJWs for their, "everyone is a victim," mentality, but are quick to adopt the mantle of victimhood themselves.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Ironically, people criticize SJWs for their, "everyone is a victim," mentality, but are quick to adopt the mantle of victimhood themselves.

This is aligned with something I've mentioned before. Essentially they're trying to hijack the way things are framed so that only their concerns are valid, they're very strict about enforcing the same political correctness that they're critical of, no one may reject or question those standards.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:39 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Drake wrote:

No, in my, and the other mod's, estimation, he had a sh_tty, misogynistic attitude towards women.

Even if you want to argue that it wasn't "technically" misogynistic, it still wasn't acceptable.

I haven't seen anything from any mod yet to tarnish my positive opinion of the Wrong Planet mods. My comment honestly is more motivated by curiosity to see if the word was finally correctly applied by someone than a fear that it was not. It's gone from a word I didn't even have in my vocabulary a few years ago to a word that just gets slapped on people all over the place at the slightest thing.

psycopathicteen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2018, 1:53 pm

It doesn't help the fact that there are a lot of women on here that act exactly like the type of women Aaendi complained about. Women who would always respond to everything he says with an accusation that he's just trying to get laid.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:01 pm

psycopathicteen wrote:
It doesn't help the fact that there are a lot of women on here that act exactly like the type of women Aaendi complained about. Women who would always respond to everything he says with an accusation that he's just trying to get laid.

Yes, those women are judgemental and sucky.

But it doesn't excuse going around accusing the majority of rape victims of being "liars," or that any woman who wears revealing clothing is tempting men to rape them.

That's both stupid and toxic.