Page 73 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 108  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 4:07 pm

Vocal group reported to PC police for mariachi-themed flyer

-The University of Vermont’s Bias Response Team sent out a campus-wide alert after a student group featured mariachi musicians in a promotional flyer.
-The BRT argued that while “the image on the flyer may seem benign to some,” the officials “recognize the impact this incident may have had on some of our campus community, and in particular our Latinx members.”

The University of Vermont’s Bias Response Team sent out a campus-wide alert after a student group featured mariachi musicians in a promotional flyer.

In an email sent to the student body Friday, the Bias Response Team (BRT) formally condemned the “Top Cats” a capella group for posting an event flyer highlighting their Senior Show that “had the faces of three senior members superimposed on the bodies of what appears to be Mexican mariachi band members.”

"To some, the image on the flyer inadvertently supports racism and further perpetuates cultural appropriation, which dishonors the deep legacy and richness of Mexican culture."

“Since receiving a Bias, Discrimination, and Harassment Incident Report, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) and the Bias Response Team (BRT) have been reviewing the information provided, and have conducted outreach to gather more information about the nature of this incident and the impact on community members, especially those members who identify as Mexican and/or Latinx,” the email explained.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10864

There Are Four Lights!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 4:13 pm

Oh brother.....PC gone haywire.

The reason why it's appropriate to "appropriate" aspects of other cultures---is because it's enriches every culture all around.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 6:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Oh brother.....PC gone haywire.

The reason why it's appropriate to "appropriate" aspects of other cultures---is because it's enriches every culture all around.

And so it goes from worse to even more worse.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 6:37 pm

Darmok wrote:
Vocal group reported to PC police for mariachi-themed flyer

-The University of Vermont’s Bias Response Team sent out a campus-wide alert after a student group featured mariachi musicians in a promotional flyer.
-The BRT argued that while “the image on the flyer may seem benign to some,” the officials “recognize the impact this incident may have had on some of our campus community, and in particular our Latinx members.”

The University of Vermont’s Bias Response Team sent out a campus-wide alert after a student group featured mariachi musicians in a promotional flyer.

In an email sent to the student body Friday, the Bias Response Team (BRT) formally condemned the “Top Cats” a capella group for posting an event flyer highlighting their Senior Show that “had the faces of three senior members superimposed on the bodies of what appears to be Mexican mariachi band members.”

"To some, the image on the flyer inadvertently supports racism and further perpetuates cultural appropriation, which dishonors the deep legacy and richness of Mexican culture."

“Since receiving a Bias, Discrimination, and Harassment Incident Report, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) and the Bias Response Team (BRT) have been reviewing the information provided, and have conducted outreach to gather more information about the nature of this incident and the impact on community members, especially those members who identify as Mexican and/or Latinx,” the email explained.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10864

Every white British act from The Beatles onward needs to be banned since most of them culturally appropriated American music by people of color. Not every British band did this but since they are white they are privileged anyway so f**k them.

Ban all Motown, they culturally appropriated white harmonies. Ban Run DMC, they culturally appropriated white heavy metal music. Another reason is that this internalized racism is triggering.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2018, 4:08 am

Ah, SJW's. Also known as Communists. And we all know how well that turned out...
They need to be educated as to what their ideology actually wants, as an endgame.

They're also hilariously easy to smack down xD

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 6:28 am

I had to look up what a Bias Response Team was, unfortunately, I could not find an unbiased article.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 7:19 am

If a Mexican student uses a computer, isn't that "cultural appropriation", since computers didn't originate in Mexico?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 9:47 am

We Americans and Brits need to stop playing punk rock since it originated in Peru
Los Salcos

Quote:
Los Saicos is a garage rock band formed in 1964 in Lima, Peru, who have become recognized as global pioneers in punk rock. In a short amount of time during the 1960s, they became one of the most successful groups in their own country, fashioning a unique surf-influenced garage sound, that would anticipate certain aspects of the later punk rock movement of the 70s.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 2:05 pm

You don't own culture. I hate this BS.

If people are copying or dipping into your culture in a positive way, then that means your culture is successful and is spreading.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 2:17 pm

Tanker wrote:
Ah, SJW's. Also known as Communists. And we all know how well that turned out...
They need to be educated as to what their ideology actually wants, as an endgame.

They're also hilariously easy to smack down xD

Too far.

SJW-ism and communism are both greatly flawed, but they are distinct.

SJW-ism is a social ideology. Communism is an economic system. Communism and SJW-ism occasionally overlap ... but they are still distinct.

There's a big difference between forcing people to be hyper-sensitive, and eliminating economic class divisions.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 2:18 pm

Drake wrote:

If people are copying or dipping into your culture in a positive way, then that means your culture is successful and is spreading.

I agree.

People should focus less on their culture, and instead focus more on what makes them unique as individuals.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 2:21 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
If a Mexican student uses a computer, isn't that "cultural appropriation", since computers didn't originate in Mexico?

Culture and technology are distinct.

I've never seen an SJW complain about white people using black inventions, such as the modern traffic light. Since I am a reasonable man, I am willing to give credit where credit is due.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:02 pm

Communism eventually boils down to obey or die when communists run the show. SJWs would do the same with enough power.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 11:04 am

Drake wrote:

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” Oscar Wilde

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 4:31 pm

The Ivy League at its finest.

Cornell student strips during thesis presentation to protest professor

A Cornell University senior stripped to her bra and underwear during her thesis presentation — and got two dozen others to join in — to protest her professor’s contention the week before that her clothing was inappropriate.

Letitia Chai led the revealing demonstration Saturday during her “Acting in Public: Performance in Everyday Life” class to stand up “against oppressive beliefs,” she said in a Facebook Live video of the event.

It came days after her professor, Rebekah Maggor, questioned whether the denim cutoff shorts Chai was wearing during a test run of the presentation were too short.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/cornell-s ... professor/

There Are Four Lights!

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 11:13 pm

Tanker wrote:

I prefer the name "neo-Marxists". It's much more accurate.