Page 28 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 108  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:36 pm

Drake wrote:
As for your question, it shouldn't be why not, it should be why. Because if I ever got turned down for something, lost out on something to an inferior person just because they didn't have a dick between their legs, or their skin was different to mine, or they were LGBTQ, I would raise more hell than I ever have in my life.

No one is suggesting that. But perhaps the advantages that made you seem superior were the result of your privilege. For instance you might have been part of a social network that connected you to powerful people and may have given you recommendations that led to you getting a prestigious degree. While an equally smart person may have had to make due with lesser institutions of learning. Superficially, your degree seems superior, but that other person might have done just as well given the opportunities you got. So maybe if they got the opportunity, for instance in a new job or graduate school, they would get a chance to prove themselves. Superior and inferior isn't always so clear cut.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Facebook is not real life---because people use it to hide behind the anonymity of the Internet. People frequently become a cartoon version of themselves.

Because people don't hide behind masks out in public. Online I just as real as being in person. If anything people show. Ore of themselves online then in person

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:50 pm

AspE wrote:
Drake wrote:
As for your question, it shouldn't be why not, it should be why. Because if I ever got turned down for something, lost out on something to an inferior person just because they didn't have a dick between their legs, or their skin was different to mine, or they were LGBTQ, I would raise more hell than I ever have in my life.

No one is suggesting that. But perhaps the advantages that made you seem superior were the result of your privilege. For instance you might have been part of a social network that connected you to powerful people and may have given you recommendations that led to you getting a prestigious degree. While an equally smart person may have had to make due with lesser institutions of learning. Superficially, your degree seems superior, but that other person might have done just as well given the opportunities you got. So maybe if they got the opportunity, for instance in a new job or graduate school, they would get a chance to prove themselves. Superior and inferior isn't always so clear cut.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone choosing someone inferior in the moment if they thought they had greater potential. It's quite possible to be lacking on the CV but to still make a powerful impression in the interview. This kind of reasoning would not bother me.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:58 pm

Drake wrote:
In terms of work, do you have a problem with meritocracy?

sort of. absolute meritocracy is obviously and inevitably a bad thing for a section of the population in any society (people with disabilities, in particular). how to address that issue is a complex matter though, with no obvious best solution. for example, should people with disabilities always be compensated by the state without having to work for their money? that seems unfair. but then, should they always be subjected to the exact same standards as everybody else? well, then they're screwed and there's nothing they can do about it. it sounds unfair too. such is life. absolute fairness is impossible. society is made of compromises (yep, i'll keep repeating it again and again)

Quote:
Because if you don't, I don't see what problem you have with my comment.

i don't really have a problem with it. it's just a very weak argument, and i guess today i'm in the mood for nitpicking :lol:. maybe you meant something more nuanced than what you actually said, but then that's another story

and i don't actually believe life is a competition. there's competition involved in it, but that's different

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:07 pm

AspE wrote:
But perhaps the advantages that made you seem superior were the result of your privilege. For instance you might have been part of a social network that connected you to powerful people and may have given you recommendations that led to you getting a prestigious degree. While an equally smart person may have had to make due with lesser institutions of learning. Superficially, your degree seems superior, but that other person might have done just as well given the opportunities you got. So maybe if they got the opportunity, for instance in a new job or graduate school, they would get a chance to prove themselves. Superior and inferior isn't always so clear cut.

despite all the things you say that i totally disagree with (and your kkk arguments and whatnot... lol), that ^ is actually very true and relevant

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:11 pm

anagram wrote:
Drake wrote:
In terms of work, do you have a problem with meritocracy?

sort of. absolute meritocracy is obviously and inevitably a bad thing for a section of the population in any society (people with disabilities, in particular). how to address that issue is a complex matter though, with no obvious best solution. for example, should people with disabilities always be compensated by the state without having to work for their money? that seems unfair. but then, should they always be subjected to the exact same standards as everybody else? well, then they're screwed and there's nothing they can do about it. it sounds unfair too. such is life. absolute fairness is impossible. society is made of compromises (yep, i'll keep repeating it again and again)

Quote:
Because if you don't, I don't see what problem you have with my comment.

i don't really have a problem with it. it's just a very weak argument, and i guess today i'm in the mood for nitpicking :lol:. maybe you meant something more nuanced than what you actually said, but then that's another story

and i don't actually believe life is a competition. there's competition involved in it, but that's different

Yes, perhaps you're just being precise while I'm relying on you to fill in some blanks. Like I don't believe all of life is a competition, and I'm not keen on overcompetitive people. But there are a plenty of cases where it is.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:25 pm

AspE wrote:
Token diversity is not all that beneficial. Real diversity which reflects our society will go a long way to curing our problems.

"Real diversity" is diversity of opinion and ideas, not diversity of skin tone.

Quote:
The only reason it doesn't matter very much is because there are very few professional athletes. So it's not the social problem that underemployed minorities are.

So you would accept a decision by the NBA to disallow black competitors?

The reason it doesn't matter is because the NBA and its associated partners care primarily about results - both on the field of play and off it.

Quote:
The elimination of injustice. The attempt to include all people in the wealth and power currently enjoyed disproportionately by rich white people.

So you have an impossible goal, and your methodology necessitates violence? That doesn't seem like a very useful definition.

Quote:
Quote:
What inherent racism? Point it out - by which I mean genuine cases of actual racism that require attention. Which aspects of society are inherently racist?

College admissions, housing, hiring, wages, policing, criminal justice, nutrition, voting, ... do you want more?

A list of things that you believe are racist is not pointing out racism. Explain what makes them racist.

Quote:
Quote:
You have literally no idea how much racism someone has experienced by nature of the colour of their skin. The suggestion that you can make such distinctions, purely on the grounds of skin tone, is inescapably racist.

Um, what the hell? The idea that I can make a judgement on how racist our society is, is racist?

Do you really need me to explain why what you said was racist, or is your ego wired in such a manner as to make acceptance of such impossible? I have zero appetite for Sisyphean tasks.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:58 pm

adifferentname wrote:
I have zero appetite for Sisyphean tasks.

That's why I never argue with either creationists or SJWs. :D :lol:

There Are Four Lights!

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 8:16 pm

Darmok wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
I have zero appetite for Sisyphean tasks.

That's why I never argue with either creationists or SJWs. :D :lol:

A fair point, well made.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 8:19 pm

Nah...that rock is too heavy...Unless I was Atlas!

Farunel
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2016, 8:02 pm

I agree in a lot of ways to the main point. I've never really considered myself necessarily anti-swj. But I do consider myself anti-stupid. Which... happens to encompass a lot of people who are swj types(tumblr). There's compassion, and then there's compassion. SWJ's seem to think that everything about society is problematic, and that they need to defend everyone against some great evil.

The issue is, I find that many of them do not address real problems that we encounter, disregarding or simply completely ignoring real-world problems that actually hurt people. Rather than their so-called "micro-aggressions"; bearing down on non-issues.

I'm very far left in my views, but swj's... They are like the Alt-Left to the Alt-Right, if you get what I mean.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 2:54 am

Farunel wrote:
I agree in a lot of ways to the main point. I've never really considered myself necessarily anti-swj. But I do consider myself anti-stupid. Which... happens to encompass a lot of people who are swj types(tumblr). There's compassion, and then there's compassion. SWJ's seem to think that everything about society is problematic, and that they need to defend everyone against some great evil.

The issue is, I find that many of them do not address real problems that we encounter, disregarding or simply completely ignoring real-world problems that actually hurt people. Rather than their so-called "micro-aggressions"; bearing down on non-issues.

I'm very far left in my views, but swj's... They are like the Alt-Left to the Alt-Right, if you get what I mean.

And you're not alone in that assessment. For anyone not paying attention, the vast majority of people whose political views fall between the extremes of "left" and "right" are utterly fed-up with extremists of any variety. We're especially fed-up of the pathetic tactic of painting moderate critics as belonging to an antagonistic extremist group, based solely on the extremists' inability to think outside a monochromatic dichotomy.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2016, 11:26 am

adifferentname wrote:
Farunel wrote:

And you're not alone in that assessment. For anyone not paying attention, the vast majority of people whose political views fall between the extremes of "left" and "right" are utterly fed-up with extremists of any variety. We're especially fed-up of the pathetic tactic of painting moderate critics as belonging to an antagonistic extremist group, based solely on the extremists' inability to think outside a monochromatic dichotomy.

Pretty much just that. The whole "You're WITH us or you're AGAINST us!" black/white type of thought process is absolutely exhausting. And it seems to be what everyone is reverting to now... which is worrisome. I have a strong distaste for extremists of any variety; even people who share my views. Extremist atheists are just as annoying as extremist christians- and extremist lefties are just as annoying as the extremist right.

I don't really know why society has a hard time adapting to a middling world-view.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

anagram wrote:
AspE wrote:
But perhaps the advantages that made you seem superior were the result of your privilege. For instance you might have been part of a social network that connected you to powerful people and may have given you recommendations that led to you getting a prestigious degree. While an equally smart person may have had to make due with lesser institutions of learning. Superficially, your degree seems superior, but that other person might have done just as well given the opportunities you got. So maybe if they got the opportunity, for instance in a new job or graduate school, they would get a chance to prove themselves. Superior and inferior isn't always so clear cut.

despite all the things you say that i totally disagree with (and your kkk arguments and whatnot... lol), that ^ is actually very true and relevant

Thanks!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:23 pm

adifferentname wrote:

Like most forms of colorblind racism, you aren't completely wrong, just ignoring the legacy of discrimination by skin tone.

Quote:

No, it's one area of American life where black people actually seem to do better than whites. I'm in favor of local inequality when global inequality is so pronounced.

Quote:
So you have an impossible goal, and your methodology necessitates violence? That doesn't seem like a very useful definition.

Most worthwhile goals seem impossible, the elimination of poverty, hunger, inequality, etc. I didn't mention violence, although all laws are enforced that way.

Quote:
A list of things that you believe are racist is not pointing out racism. Explain what makes them racist.

College admissions without affirmative action, and secondarily standardized tests are biased towards non-minorities. Housing discrimination occurs as recently as the lawsuit against Donald Trump for rejecting black residents from his developments. Until the 1920's, it was illegal for blacks to immigrate to my state (Oregon), and towns had so-called sunset laws, where it was illegal for blacks to be in the town after dark. I posted studies of hiring, where applications with black names received 50% less callbacks than white names. Black wages still trail behind whites. Police are biased against blacks in traffic stops and shootings. Poor blacks who are arrested don't get adequate representation, and often settle for sentences they don't deserve. Black neighborhoods don't have access to fresh vegetables which effects health and physical development, the rates of diabetes are higher for blacks than whites. And finally, voting rights are being undermined, especially in the South, like it's Jim Crow all over again.

Quote:
Do you really need me to explain why what you said was racist, or is your ego wired in such a manner as to make acceptance of such impossible? I have zero appetite for Sisyphean tasks.

Don't bother, I don't need racist lessons from someone as racially insensitive as you.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 1:50 pm

AspE wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

Like most forms of colorblind racism, you aren't completely wrong, just ignoring the legacy of discrimination by skin tone.

It may be your legacy, it most certainly is not mine.

Quote:
Quote:

No, it's one area of American life where black people actually seem to do better than whites. I'm in favor of local inequality when global inequality is so pronounced.

The inequality is that of ability, not race. The beauty of purely meritocratic systems is that they completely eliminate skin colour from the equation. That's the lesson to be learned from the NBA.

Quote:
Quote:

Most worthwhile goals seem impossible, the elimination of poverty, hunger, inequality, etc. I didn't mention violence, although all laws are enforced that way.

But it doesn't logically follow that an impossible-seeming goal is therefore worthwhile.

Quote:
College admissions without affirmative action

Which colleges?

Quote:
and secondarily standardized tests are biased towards non-minorities.

There's an argument that they might be considered classist, but a better description is that they're just really shoddily written.

Quote:
Housing discrimination occurs as recently as the lawsuit against Donald Trump for rejecting black residents from his developments.

This took place in 1973. It was the Justice Department who sued Trump, and his counter claim was dismissed by the court. Sounds like that particular system was functioning just fine 43 years ago.

Quote:
Until the 1920's, it was illegal for blacks to immigrate to my state (Oregon), and towns had so-called sunset laws, where it was illegal for blacks to be in the town after dark.

Now you're citing things from pre-1920 to demonstrate systematic racism in 2016?

Quote:
I posted studies of hiring, where applications with black names received 50% less callbacks than white names.

Studies which were not representative of the USA as a whole, as they represented just two cities. Further, the studies do not eliminate the possibilty of classism rather than racism, based on their decision to use what they considered to be "ethnic" names.

Quote:
Black wages still trail behind whites.

Black earnings may be lower, but black people are paid the same wages as their white co-workers. Earnings gaps are not indicative of anything other than choices.

Quote:
Police are biased against blacks in traffic stops and shootings.

This has already been contested elsewhere. I suggest you refer to some of L_Holmes' data from other threads.

Quote:
Poor blacks who are arrested don't get adequate representation, and often settle for sentences they don't deserve.

Key word "poor". The same is true of poor people of any colour.

Quote:
Black neighborhoods don't have access to fresh vegetables which effects health and physical development, the rates of diabetes are higher for blacks than whites.

Neither of these amount to evidence of systemic racism.

Quote:
And finally, voting rights are being undermined, especially in the South, like it's Jim Crow all over again.

That one you'll have to provide a link for.

Quote:
Don't bother, I don't need racist lessons from someone as racially insensitive as you.

Ah, the old I'll use the phrase "racially insensitive" instead of "racist" so I can hide behind the ambiguity routine.

Coming, as it does, from someone who has made direct racist remarks about white people, your slur is nothing but a source of wry amusement for me.