Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EbenCooke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Hi all. I'm a 58 year old male, living in the NYC area (Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn). I was introduced to the notion of Asperger's and to this site by my therapist, who told me she was unable to diagnose me. I've taken several online quizzes in which I score pretty high on the high-functional end of the spectrum (borderline mid-level? Dunno what that's called). I have no faith in these online tests, frankly.

I am seeking a diagnosis from a source I can trust. So far this is proving impossible. All that I've been able to achieve is getting passed from one person to the next, none of whom will help me. How can I get diagnosed?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:23 am

Your best option is probably as a subject in an autism research study. Sometimes, they offer free autism evaluations.

I live in Queens Village. I used to live in Brighton Beach.

EbenCooke

16 Jul 2016, 12:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your best option is probably as a subject in an autism research study. Sometimes, they offer free autism evaluations.

I live in Queens Village. I used to live in Brighton Beach.

Thanks. I've got only one option left on my list, which is the Seaver Autism Center at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, which only offers their services as part of a study. Fine by me, if they accept me.

Do you know of any specific resources? Were you ever officially diagnosed on the spectrum, and if so, how?

I feel like there's a lot of frauds out there, willing to give you a diagnosis if you shop for one. I don't want that. I want someone I can trust and respect. I contacted Maimonedes Hospital, which is on the "autism speaks" resource list. They refer me to the Block Institute, who refer me to the Front Door service, which tells me I need to have already been extensively evaluated before I can use their services. What an absurd run-around. So far that's all I've gotten from everyone I've contacted. My level of frustration is becoming intolerable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 5:21 pm

I was diagnosed with autism in 1964 at age 3.

Then with brain damage/injury soon after.

I didn't speak until age 5.5.