I need to do online school but my parents won't let me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

murderith
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2016, 8:16 am

my parents won't let me do online school because "home schooling" didn't work out in the past.
I can't go to public school it's too much I can't focus on anything in that type of environment.
Help?
Does anyone know what I can do?
I hate Pubic school. and I'm also stuck in the "special" classes and I hate it It's too easy for me.
I'm in those classes though because they're smaller bc of anxiety with large amounts of people but I'm not learning anything!

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jul 2016, 9:59 am

Hello. Well, you can explain to them that online school is not the same as homeschooling. The only concern that I could see is that you (I'm not saying you would do this, it's just a concern I could see your parents would think) would not do the work and procrastinate and not hand in assignment. It would be good to reduce anxiety, and I know online school is becoming popular. You can show your parents some links about online virtual school that I'll post some below. You should read them through before showing your parents. Another concern would be about socializing. Many people lose socializing, and less socializing for people with anxiety around people would do more harm than good. So if you do some extracurricular activity would counter this lose. Anyways, make a list why virtual school would help. Maybe make a powerpoint or something to show that you really care about doing it. Here is the links I found about virtual school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_school
http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2011/05/2 ... e-schools/

Hope this helps :D

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 7:02 pm

Maybe you can tell them that you find special classes too easy and you aren't learning anything at school, so you would learn a lot more from online school and have more opportunities in future like getting a degree, getting more education, getting a job, etc.

If they don't want you doing online school due to homeschool not working, then maybe you can take one online class on the side and show them that you can do well in online school, so they would let you try it again.

tina.mary911
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2020, 8:29 am

Hello,

I recently enrolled my daughter to an online school full time and so far she has been very happy with the change. She did very well in elementary but didn't transition well to middle school which eventually led us to this decision. She is in Y5 and is quickly picking up how to use the platform (she gets very excited being able to submit her assignments online). Also, I can't be more happy about the fact that it gives us so much more quality family time.

As a parent I can tell you, I'm glad I took the decision. Honestly, their flexibility and willingness to accommodate my daughter's health issues has been a great help. The best part for us is seeing her happy to learn again which is precious.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 9:53 am

Could you do something like a presentation to them to argue your points? Sometimes parents still see their adult children as children, and they need help to understand your thinking as an adult.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 11:20 am

Can’t the teacher/assistant(s) in the remedial/“special” class just give you the regular curriculum in that room with fewer people?

Are they even aware that it’s social anxiety and sensory issues you deal with vs intelligence or academic abilities?

Maybe they can make accommodations to give you the regular, or even advanced, schoolwork in the room with fewer people? That’d be better than being bored with simplified course work Or not succeeding well with online stuff you may not follow through and complete.