Would you bother discussing anything on 4chan?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:24 am

Most boards have random or non-political content, but /pol/ seems to stand as a bastion for blatant neo-Nazism... if they weren't deleted regularly I assume some of it could be construed as hate speech... but really, I thought there were more extremists (and moderates) from both sides on Twitter... but 4chan seems to be thoroughly occupied by fascists, which allows for not much 'discussion'... /b is extremely random, but usually not openly oozing of hate.

What's wrong with people these days, seriously? If they think they can simply allow 'X' to torture or 'Y' to be deprived of something due to 'Z', irrespective of personalities... what exactly prevents these people from making the connection that they might end up being the one tortured or discriminated against? They really think the megalomaniac 'X' will pass them over when all they want to do is torture? (NA really didn't learn anything from SA dictatorships...)

People are actively defending murder, so I guess for some the above examples may be tame... but really, basic algebra.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:39 am

Complaining about the tone of debate on 4chan is like one of the following fables:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farmer_and_the_Viper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

... Or in other words:

If you really wanted to avoid hateful speech, then why did you visit 4chan - the most notorious trolling site on the internet - in the first place?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:52 am

Trolling is one thing, hate is quite another... I'm pretty sure anyone, of any politics, can troll (or, displaying prejudice might be unreal affectation, in the name of trolling, but passion and conviction tell otherwise in certain circumstances)... but this is the case of the entire board being taken over by extremists. It just connects to the 'positive feedback' loop that I described in another thread that could lead to an intensification of opinion.. and, sure, I could simply not visit it, but it is bizarre how a single fixation can constitute the entirety of a site's users... balance is always preferable, but, as you point out, the scorpion sunk the ship of equilibrium...

Last edited by Mootoo on 26 Jul 2016, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:58 am

Then don't visit 4chan. That's the solution.

I've noticed that there are people who have a certain fascination for such sites as Kiwi Farms and 4chan. Maybe it's some sort of challenge? I don't know.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 8:53 am

Real trolling is far more serious than you give it credit for. It's about causing as much damage to your target as possible—if you can lose them their job, a partner or the will to live to the point they commit suicide, you're on the way to mastering the art.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:05 am

That's why I don't take attempted trolling via Internet seriously.

Trolls are just punks hiding behind computer screens.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:17 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Real trolling is far more serious than you give it credit for. It's about causing as much damage to your target as possible—if you can lose them their job, a partner or the will to live to the point they commit suicide, you're on the way to mastering the art.

That's way beyond anything I'd define as trolling and into the realms of psychological abuse.

Like Mootoo, I find little of value in 4chan. I've concluded that I'm simply not part of whatever their target demographic is. As for /pol/, however, I'm dubious of the sincerity of 99% of the stuff posted there. I think it's mostly a case of young people being edgy for edgy's sake.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:39 am

I think you're absolutely right.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 11:10 am

The as*hole of the internet is filled with s**t. Whodaguessed?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 12:47 pm

adifferentname wrote:
That's way beyond anything I'd define as trolling and into the realms of psychological abuse.

Well, it's what the most prominent figures in troll culture did: The Trolls Among Us.

Not everyone can do it—it takes real talent and determination, just like successful real-life bullying.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 9:27 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Well, it's what the most prominent figures in troll culture did: The Trolls Among Us.

Not everyone can do it—it takes real talent and determination, just like successful real-life bullying.

But you're defining "real trolling" by nature of results rather than intent or practice. It's an arbitrary qualification.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:37 pm

NO. :evil:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:42 pm

I always like to imagine the posters on 4chan saying inflammatory things trying to get a rise out of an audience that isn't there, it's amusing.