Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm

Sure it can.

It has had that effect on me.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:33 pm

It had an effect on me too. For almost 20 minutes after I left the hotel where I lost my virginity, I couldn't drive. I just wandered around the local streets, chain-smoking cigarettes. I went back and picked up my car about half hour later. Then, for almost a week after, I couldn't stop smiling, and was almost non-functional at work.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:53 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Question: Can having intercourse be therapeutic? What I mean is that can having intercourse help ease feelings such as fear, anxiety, nervousness, stress, and anything of the sort?

That's a sweet story.

And yes, it can.

You know that famous Simpsons line: 'To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!'? That's how I see sex. It can be soul-crushing when it's just not working, but pretty much a cure-all when it does.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:58 pm

Hopper wrote:
You know that famous Simpsons line: 'To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!'? That's how I see sex. It can be soul-crushing when it's just not working, but pretty much a cure-all when it does.

yes. that is my experience as well. it generates huge amounts of tension, which it then dissipates (make-up sex, for one: yes, definitely a thing), and then generates again, and so on, with no final resolution ever. i see sex and sexuality as a very important part of a relationship. but i also noticed how it becomes less important when other things are going well and there's a higher level of trust already established. there's a large component of a desire for acceptance involved in the urge to have sex. when that desire is satisfied some other way, the urge decreases

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 6:51 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
For those who may find this surprising, I met my GF when we were in grade school. We attended the same grade school together and when we began MS in 2001, we thought we would never see each other again, given that she moved with her family to another area of Portland.

That was until one day in late 2011. I was sitting at a table in the dining hall of the college I was attending classes at {I am now enrolled at Portland State University.} and she approached me out of nowhere. At first, I obviously didn't recognize her given that we were ten years older and I never had any previous relationships. I also thought I was hallucinating, given that all I wanted was not only to succeed in my studies, but also finding myself work and my first relationship. She told me she was in a relationship at the time, but the stress we both were experiencing {me more than her} were a reason to rekindle our relationship as platonic in nature.

She broke up with her now-ex-boyfriend about one month later. We sought out a motel for a day where I had my "first-go-around" {as she called it} at the age of 21. She had her "first-go-around" at the age of 17.

She works as a waitress at an upscale restaurant close to PSU but I avoid her place of work because I don't want her to feel that I am invading her sense of privacy. She lost her father about two years ago and I lost my father when I was 12, so sometimes I wonder if we have more in common now than we were as kids.

Question: Can having intercourse be therapeutic? What I mean is that can having intercourse help ease feelings such as fear, anxiety, nervousness, stress, and anything of the sort?

I forgot to mention that I'm actually glad she lives with her roommate far away from me and my family because I have a fear that my family will find out about her, which in turn may give my family a reason to make assumptions not only about her, but also me. This is because my mom has often said that if I want to have a GF, I can only date Hispanics, given that my mom is Hispanic.

My GF's late father and my late father were both industrial workers. Her late father was a truck driver and my late father worked for a company that provided fuel for airplanes. Both our fathers enlisted in the US Military but neither experienced any combat. To be clear, my late father was white and my GF's late father was also white.

My GF is accepting of me being bisexual, given that some of her friends are LGBT.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:11 am

I'm so happy for those that manage to meet their true love early in their schooling lives.

It truly is a beautiful thing, but it is very unfortunate that only a very small minority of people can find true love this way, while the vast majority must spend several years, if not their entire lives, working hard to improve themselves and to try dating and putting themselves out there.

My cousin has been with his now fiance since they both started dating at age 14.

It is tragic that some find love so early in life, while others must suffer in deep loneliness and misery with no sign of success for many years.

Bridgette77
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2016, 1:51 am

anagram wrote:
Hopper wrote:

yes. that is my experience as well. it generates huge amounts of tension, which it then dissipates (make-up sex, for one: yes, definitely a thing), and then generates again, and so on, with no final resolution ever. i see sex and sexuality as a very important part of a relationship. but i also noticed how it becomes less important when other things are going well and there's a higher level of trust already established. there's a large component of a desire for acceptance involved in the urge to have sex. when that desire is satisfied some other way, the urge decreases

Wow!... So spot on! I know that to be true also!
This was beautifully stated!There are some that can't have sex for what ever reason, and are still completely satisfied, because they are fulfilled in all other aspects, and are complete without it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 2:04 pm

Outrider wrote:
I'm so happy for those that manage to meet their true love early in their schooling lives.

It truly is a beautiful thing, but it is very unfortunate that only a very small minority of people can find true love this way, while the vast majority must spend several years, if not their entire lives, working hard to improve themselves and to try dating and putting themselves out there.

My cousin has been with his now fiance since they both started dating at age 14.

It is tragic that some find love so early in life, while others must suffer in deep loneliness and misery with no sign of success for many years.

When my GF and I reconnected back in 2011, I thought I was re-enacting a scene from Forrest Gump.

After her parents divorced when she was 16, my GF fell in with "the emo crowd", but has since grown out of it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 6:11 am

I was 27. It wasn't much. The girl didn't tell me that she was planning to move to Sydney in six weeks. Maybe I was just a fling to her.

Had another one at 28. This one was really good for a few months, then it turned into Hell. It turned out for the for two or so months she was in her happy phase and she was very loving, complimentary and pleasant to be around. For the next two months she was in her depressive phase. Now I have nothing but respect for people who suffer from depression. I believe it's a legitimate illness and not the afflicted's fault. But what I don't respect is her taking her depression out on me. That's what she did.

Also she had this thing were she wanted me to be supermature. She complained when I got locked out of my apartment even thought it didn't inconvenience her since she wasn't with me at the time. I just texted it to her offhandedly. She wanted me to be ultramature and not make any mistakes. And she didn't like me being 1 year younger than her. She said she wanted to date a guy 5 years older than her. Why? Because she never knew her father. She was conceived in a one night stand and raised by a workaholic mother. Not only did she never meet her father but her mother said she was forbidden to ask about him. This is not healthy. When she kept saying she wanted me to act older / more mature, I felt like she was trying to turn me into a substitute father. This made me feel kind of dirty considering we were also sexually active at the time.

I'm torn between my desire to get another girlfriend and be like a "normal couple" and my desire to have a restful relaxing home-life, free from girl trouble. Sometimes I get lonely at home but if I don't spend a significant portion of my time alone, I feel very drained. Next month they're increasing my hours at work and I've really been pushing myself to get the work done faster and study for industry qualifications on weekends. This might be the limit of my energies without adding girl trouble.

Dating takes so much energy. Most of the energy is spent trying to work out what the girl thinks of me when she won't say it out loud. Even today I went on a terrible date. I'm so tired :|

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 7:42 am

My first ex, who I now swear has/d Borderline Personality Disorder, was awful.

Aggressive, unempathetic, uncaring, rude, selfish.

All take and no give.

Her feelings for me were on and off and this hurt me very much, and the entire relationship it felt like it was all give and no return on my side.

I put-up with all of this and stayed loyal till the end.

I was a perfectly fine and good boyfriend, if maybe a little clingy and in her face, but a friend gave me advice and said most people, in the first few weeks of the relationship, tend to have a 'honeymoon phase' and want to always be around the other person.

I had also heard about the honeymoon phase from others.

So it was a bit unbalanced and unequal, I felt the honeymoon phase and wanting to spend time around my new and amazing girlfriend, and it seemed she could only just tolerate me.

I thought I was a good bf, and I asked a friend for advice, and she said I was doing just fine, maybe even great.

My ex-gf herself said I was the best boyfriend she has ever had so far when I asked. So, naturally, things were going pretty well, right?

Just when I thought things were going great and I was doing fine, she dumps me after 12 days because she 'lost her feelings for me'.

We got back together a month later, only for her to dump me about after 5 days, her losing feelings for me the 2nd and stringing me alone for the last 3.

Again, I was constantly anxious and worried she'd break up with me again, but then told myself I was being irrational, that I was doing just fine with her.

I remember the day she dumped me again at school, that morning I was worried she would but then told myself I was doing just fine and it wouldn't happen, but look what OPTIMISM gets me. :(

A few weeks after the relationship, I was over her, or at least wanted to move on and forget about the past, but she was the one who kept bringing up the former relationship with me, and then twisting my words to claim I was the one who wouldn't let things go.

At first I just politely tried to make her leave me alone, but she was persistent and things were getting worse each and every time.

It reached the point where I decided to just be outright rude to her and a smart-å55 because I was growing impatient.

Finally, at one lunch break when with another friend, my ex-gf was yelling private and personal details about the night I spent sleeping with her at her house loud enough so that most people nearby could hear.

I yelled back at her, very loudly I might add:

"You're yelling about blank, and blank, and people having blank publicly!! ! You're yelling at blank, and blank and blank loud publicly!! !! F*ck up!! !! !! F*CK UP!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!"

Surprisingly, this wasn't the end, despite me thinking it was. At first she threatened to get an older brother (probably B.S.) or cousin or whatever to bash me, so immediately after getting home I reported her å55 to the school's anonymous anti-bullying website. They had a talk with her, and she didn't bring it up again.

She did want to be friends, however, so I agreed to at first. We also originally agreed to go to the school formal/prom together as friends.

After giving me a shopping list of a million and one selfish demands, I knew it was a trap; 'agreed' to be her friend only to block her on Facebook that very same day.

The next day, we made the unanimous decision that, no, uh-uh, we ain't goin' as friends, ain't gonna happen. It wasn't those exact words, but that general sort of agreement.

*Deep breath*

And that's why being in a bad relationship is worse than being alone, but being in a good relationship is the best of all three of course, something I only had a brief taste of with my slightly better, slightly longer, yet also short-lived second relationship.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 8:15 am

it's funny that with my ex she repeatedly tried to upset me so i would break up with her, because she was unable to make decisions on her own. and it did upset me a lot, but it had the opposite of the intended effect. my reaction was either like "well yeah? is that all you got? bring it on!" or like "i know what you're doing. make up your mind. i'm not making up your mind for you". so it went on like that for three years (mostly online. text messaging). until eventually she started to have really bad amnesia (several reasons combined) and then she stopped feeling guilty about playing mind games for attention without giving me anything in return. so i told her that if she ever contacts me again, i won't bother making any effort not to be an as*hole. i needed to stop feeling responsible for her

i still miss her a lot, but there was just no way i could keep her in my life. she was too determined to erase all the things about herself that ever made any connection possible, and too determined to deny what she was doing. i do wonder though if there was ever a chance things could have progressed differently, or if it was all doomed from the start. i'm close to 50/50 on that, but still leaning towards "could have progressed differently" (although i know it wasn't up to me). or maybe not with her, but still with "someone like her" (namely: bpd). because, in some ways, she was an extreme case, but i still managed to persist, and i never regretted it. it was emotionally complicated, but it was never objectively bad

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Aug 2016, 11:02 pm

I got my 1st relationship when I was 20 & it was a mostly online thing. I didn't have sex till I was 28 but I'm sort of on the asexuality spectrum & didn't really want sex outside of a serious romantic relationship.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Bentastic197
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2016, 1:29 pm

I never had a girlfriend.... or a date in my life. I just suck.