Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheEndIsNearUs
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2016, 1:58 pm

I feel like there's nothing wrong with what the memes are saying, usually, but using the terminology "OCD" to refer to the natural desire to be clean and organized is rather trivializing to people who actually have the anxiety disorder, or the personality disorder in my case, and makes it very easy to dismiss our problems. It also spreads misinformation about OCD in general and what the disorder actually entails.

They don't really offend me, but I wish they would use a different term.

End ★ 20 ★ Male ★ Capricorn ★ ISTJ-T

RessQ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2016, 3:32 am

it makes me EXTREMELY angry beyond any reasonable measure. i absolutely cannot STAND it when people use OCD as an adjective as if it's a quirk. my illness is not an adjective, it's not just a trait that someone has because they like things to be organized, it's a legitimate disorder. people that use it as an adjective and refuse to apologize for it when called out honestly deserve to suffer from it for a week and see how much they like being "so OCD"

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 11:12 am

I hate when people say this. I mean They obviously don't have OCD, so why are they say they do.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 10:51 am

MadeinHisimage wrote:

It bothers me that something as serious as OCD is diminished by jokes and memes on Facebook. It is even more frustrating to have opened up about my struggles---only to have family members or friends say things like "oh it must run in the family!" or "oh, I think I have OCD" and then proceed to tell me about their occasional urges to clean house or straighten the rug.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 10:58 am

I can tell you from personal experience there is nothing funny about even living with someone with chronic OCD, let alone even having it.

Although I did once see a comic strip that shows a kid being punished by writing lines in class, but they're secretly enjoying it because of their OCD, which was kind of funny even though in real life they never really enjoy their ritual behaviors.