Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 2:34 pm

I'm diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder bipolar type, and I've always thought that my lack of motivation was solely from my depressive episodes, but as I get my depression under control, I find that I still lack motivation to do anything. I read about how this is also a symptom of schizophrenia/schizoaffective. What do you know? What have you experienced?

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Cathie Marie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2016, 1:01 pm

I also have at different times (by different psychiatrists) been diagnosed as having schizophrenia, bipolar 1 and schizoaffective disorder. All my life, whether it be during a psychotic episode, high, low, pleasant euphoria, or starting to engage with the world, I have had and have lack of motivation. I do not even pay attention to current events and have had periods when I've decided to read the newspaper regularly, but this and every other decision is abandoned for the entertainment of my own thoughts. I never heard of schizoaffective "bipolar type". I thought it was schizophrenia with a mood disorder. Both, period. I don't have a "type" but that's my experience with being unmotivated. Yes it is one "negative" symptom of schizophrenia.

Herald sad and trumpet be,
To whose sound chaste wings obey.

But thou shriking harbinger,
Foul precurrer of the fiend,
Augur of the fever's end,
To this troop come thou not near!

Here the anthem doth commence:
Love and constancy is dead;
Phoenix and the turtle fled
In a mutual flame from hence.

So between them love did shine,
That the turtle saw his right
Flaming in the phoenix' sight;
Either was the other's mine.

Threnos (eulogy):
'Beauty, truth, and rarity,
Grace in all simplicity,
Here enclosed in cinders lie.

To the phoenix and the dove,
Co-supremes and stars of love,
As chorus to their tragic scene.

Leaving no posterity:
'Twas not their infirmity,
It was married chastity.

Truth may seem, but cannot be:
Beauty brag, but 'tis not she;
Truth and beauty buried be'

-Highlights from my favorite poem by Shakespeare, The Phoenix and the Turtle [dove], thought by some to be about Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Devereux (2nd Earl of Essex). In any case it is allegorically about the death of an ideal love.

ASD, unofficially on online tests: 38 of 50. I don't function well. The huge impact on my life affects me more than "38". "Other" confounds and compounds, as well as expectations from others who can't see it.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 4:10 pm

Schizoaffective can have depressive type or bipolar type. Some psychiatrists think that schizoaffective is its own separate psychotic disorder from schizophrenia, and some think that it's just schizophrenia plus a mood disorder and that it doesn't even need to be diagnosed as a separate disorder.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Cathie Marie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2016, 10:21 am

Thanks, I learned something. I was first diagnosed with schizophrenia after a lot of tests in 1977, including an EEG which showed a lot of seizure-like activity (which I learned later is used to rule things out) and since it wasn't epilepsy or anything like it, my Mom says it was all they needed to know after the tests on paper that I guess showed a lot of confusion. I personally think that trauma (emotional) can cause these EEG results. When I was discharged and followed up with my doctor at home, he went with what they said but added the "affective" part. It also depends a lot on which DSM version they're using (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) and it has just been updated (DSM V). There were a lot of people misdiagnosed as schizoaffective with the DSM IV because the list of symptoms and number of them required for schizoaffective were lax and unclear. Basically it is that psychotic symptoms occur without affective ones for a specific length of time, instead of affective symptoms leading to psychosis. Unless it can be observed to start with psychosis without affective symptoms, schizoaffective disorder can't be diagnosed, at least not by the book. Starting out my doctor at home was involved with the one at the hospital. He followed DSM IV but I still have schizophrenic symptoms. I just hope I helped a little with the unmotivated issue.

Herald sad and trumpet be,
To whose sound chaste wings obey.

But thou shriking harbinger,
Foul precurrer of the fiend,
Augur of the fever's end,
To this troop come thou not near!

Here the anthem doth commence:
Love and constancy is dead;
Phoenix and the turtle fled
In a mutual flame from hence.

So between them love did shine,
That the turtle saw his right
Flaming in the phoenix' sight;
Either was the other's mine.

Threnos (eulogy):
'Beauty, truth, and rarity,
Grace in all simplicity,
Here enclosed in cinders lie.

To the phoenix and the dove,
Co-supremes and stars of love,
As chorus to their tragic scene.

Leaving no posterity:
'Twas not their infirmity,
It was married chastity.

Truth may seem, but cannot be:
Beauty brag, but 'tis not she;
Truth and beauty buried be'

-Highlights from my favorite poem by Shakespeare, The Phoenix and the Turtle [dove], thought by some to be about Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Devereux (2nd Earl of Essex). In any case it is allegorically about the death of an ideal love.

ASD, unofficially on online tests: 38 of 50. I don't function well. The huge impact on my life affects me more than "38". "Other" confounds and compounds, as well as expectations from others who can't see it.