Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MaizeFlower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2016, 12:25 pm

I am about to start my final year of college and I realize I want to become a freelance analytics consultant. My specialties include creating dashboards(Data visualization with Tableau or PowerBI), advanced spreadsheets (conditional formatting, some DAX, formatting, and functions) , google analytics, and statistical analysis overall.

I want to do this, but I am wondering how I can better available myself to potential clients. I am a little shy but I really want to do this. I so far am working with a person who manages social media data at my university. I am really good with communicating what each visualization means to her and I know data well. I want to work with smaller businesses that are new to data analysis and marketing trends.

I want to do financial, social demographics, geolocation, and data cleanup. I see there are other software I should learn, but which ones are most important to use? I feel as if Google Analytics would be a no brainer because it is free, one of the most used tracking platforms onthe net, and has ease of exporting data on other software devices. I haven't learned R programming yet, but I was thinking of starting.

I've not made a website yet, but I probably will soon. I want to take this path, but I also want some tips on how to find clients and if I need other skills

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 1:02 pm

R is useful as an analyst, you should also consider simple Unix data formatting stuff like SED and AWK (comes free with any Linux installation), possible a simple programming language like Python. That way you can format data into whatever format an analytic program requires.