The line between confidence and arrogance

Page 9 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 4:52 pm

rdos wrote:
I did a new thread about it, but it didn't attract a lot of interest. I suggest you find it and take the discussion there. However, I won't present the complete process just yet.

oh! so that was actually in response to me. i did find it odd that you seemed to be ignoring my question :lol:

for anyone else who might be interested:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=326322

i set up email notifications by default for all threads i respond to, but i only look for new threads (through the "view posts since last visit" feature) when i'm bored and there's no new response to threads i've already responded to. so i never saw that one until now

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 5:57 pm

rdos wrote:
I don't think so. I mean obsessively thinking about her almost all of the time. I cannot think of that as only single-mindedness. Still, the crush is separate from the obsession, and usually comes first and is triggering the obsession.

i say single-mindedness because my obsessions are fickle. they're often very intense, but they come and go without warning, typically overnight. (literally overnight, which i think is one of the reasons why i usually have trouble going to sleep. each new day feels like figuring out life and existence all over again. going to sleep makes me anxious). i see most people here have a sense of loneliness and frustration, but only few people seem to have this kind of pervasive disconnection that i'm talking about. the impermanence of being. subjectively speaking, it really divides humanity into "those who have experienced it themselves" and "those who haven't". with "those who haven't" seeming like two-dimensional characters on tv, even if i'm fully aware that they're not

i like how these lyrics illustrate it, looking wistfully at the whole thing:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/grimes/realiti.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRHIMjfmMm0

or, more intense and poetically, trying to maintain a relationship:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bjork/hyperballad.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDrMUDGsZM

(i think it's worth noting that those are women i'm highly attracted to. if i knew them personally, i would definitely be interested in them. it doesn't even matter in what capacity. i'd just want to be close to them)

for instance, i've been obsessed with another forum site in the past. i posted there for years, and it was my main "social circle", just like this one is right now. from time to time, i think to myself "maybe i should take a break". i don't. but then from to time, seemingly out of nowhere (even from my own point of view), i just stop posting, and i disappear for months. for no particular reason. this is far from being the exception when it comes to my behavior, both long- and short-term. it's consistently the rule. it's something i can count on. i don't know when or how it will happen, but i know it will. and it happens just the same way with people (or work or anything that demands sustained focus/interest). this is why autism barely registers to me personally as an issue when it comes to forming relationships. establishing an initial connection is easy. but maintaining it is very hard

adhd is something i can't control. it's by far my main issue. learning new skills can help me deal with it (mostly by accepting that it's not up to me), but it does nothing at all to prevent this shifting of emotional priorities from happening. it's very difficult (if not impossible) for someone without adhd to understand this (or to be understanding). and i'm very sensitive to rejection myself, so i can understand that, and i can't blame them for their lack of understanding. it's not my fault, but it's not their fault either, and they shouldn't be subjected to recurring rejection. not many people can deal with it in a sustainable way. and if i need to find anyone, it's those (mythical?) people who can. how to find them, is "the million-dollar question"

even with other people who do have adhd (or this particular brand of adhd), it's complicated. because while on one hand they can relate, and they connect with me because they feel so hopelessly disconnected from everybody else the same way as i do (which sometimes makes for a very intense bond, as was the case with my ex), they do suddenly lose interest in me from time to time as well. just like i do lose interest in them. or else i can't live my life. i can only have one priority at a time. but at least it's much more likely that they'll expect it and won't take it personally (and vice-versa) even if they or i do feel rejected. which is a start

so i can't let myself be at the mercy of my feelings and obsessions. it's a recipe for disaster if i do. my feelings are just as volatile as they are real and intense. it's part of why i'm so committed, devoted and persistent when i do believe in something. single-minded. because it's either a consistent effort of self-discipline, or it's just aimless nothingness

more concise lyrics: :)
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/mastodon/thesparrow.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RvJ8N_MS8

and this is why i say that my ex "didn't seem to understand the difference between being fond of me and being in a relationship with me". she maintained that we were in a relationship, and she did make it known that she felt rejected when i paid less attention to her for whatever reason. but she rarely acknowledged my own feelings of rejection when she did the same, and she even pushed the limits each time and demanded my support instead. "testing waters" ("do you find this pleasant? are you comfortable with this compromise?") is a good and necessary thing. it's really the smart thing to do in almost any situation involving novelty and uncertainty. but pushing boundaries just to "test people" ("are you willing to endure completely unnecessary stress just to prove how much you care?") is simply no good

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:28 pm

kraftiekortie

I didn't mean to say you are a PUA or just went up and talked to women constantly with the objective of having sex. It just sounds like you were able to try a lot more than most AS people here dating in this day and age. It seems most people do internet dating and that's pretty much it. Also, these days young people seem much more reserved than older people. They have their heads stuck on their phones and get annoyed if anyone tries to talk with them. Pretty much their entire social life is on facebook. It's really bad. Just finding friends is extremely HARD. Everywhere with young people I notice this lax aloof attitude and indifference towards strangers, no attempts to be friendly, nothing. It is hard to put yourself out and be friendly when everyone around seems so unfriendly. You have to break out of that somehow and it's damn not easy.

So anyways, I think the problem is dating age AS people these days spend most of their time alone on the internet. I'm no exception. I don't see how you can worry about appearing "desperate" if you barely even talk to people. It just seems like a really negatively loaded term. I don't see how it's useful. It just seems like it shames males who are lonely and stuck in the house and makes them even less likely to actually go out and try to meet people. I just think back when you were younger you went out and tried to connect with people. These days people don't try as much. Even NTs don't try as much. It's so easy to spend most of your non-working life on the internet. It's more comfortable. I think if you warn lonely people who spend all their time on the internet not to be "desperate", it's just going to make them more afraid to go out. It's like loneliness is some kind of crime, despite the fact there are a ton of lonely people.

Another thing, the person I eventually met and am planning to marry came across as very desperate. I was afraid of hurting her if things weren't going to work out for some reason, but I never felt this sense of revulsion or disgust average women apparently feel towards "desperate" men. Maybe it just has to do with appearing desperate for sex. Approaching a women as a friend will dispel this. You don't have to swallow your loneliness and hide it away, pretend you're the life of the party, pretend you're busy with all kinds of activities, etc... I think a lot of AS people don't have a lot of hobbies with other people because they have a really narrow range of activities that actually make them happy and they don't want to make themselves do things they don't actually enjoy. I know this is the case for me. This world is difficult.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 7:29 pm

It's true: there was no online dating when I was "most active."

I only answered one newspaper ad--back in 1984. It had kind of a funny result.

I hope I never deter anybody from trying to talk to ladies. I feel, even for friendship, that it's good to speak to members of the "opposite sex"--about subjects other than sex. About common concerns. About even mundane things like gardening or decorating the home or something.

Like you say, people should talk to one another more, instead of hiding behind the computer. People are usually more reasonable in "real life" than on computer forums. The computer forum affords people anonymity--which causes them to be more extreme in their behavior. It's just better, in general, to speak with people in "real life."

When one is "out of practice" with interacting with people--especially if one has a communication disorder, one is often left in the lurch whenever an opportunity for enhanced interaction occurs.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 4:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Like you say, people should talk to one another more, instead of hiding behind the computer.
Nowadays computers are portable and people hide behind them while they're in public.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 5:50 am

This sort of thing really started with Walkmen circa 1980. People used to hide behind them.

Before then, if a woman didn't want to be bothered, she had to either have some sort of "turn-off" face, or wear sunglasses.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 6:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This sort of thing really started with Walkmen circa 1980. People used to hide behind them.

Before then, if a woman didn't want to be bothered, she had to either have some sort of "turn-off" face, or wear sunglasses.

In gyms, some put earphones despite the music played there is already as loud as f.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 3:05 pm

anagram wrote:
i say single-mindedness because my obsessions are fickle. they're often very intense, but they come and go without warning, typically overnight. (literally overnight, which i think is one of the reasons why i usually have trouble going to sleep. each new day feels like figuring out life and existence all over again. going to sleep makes me anxious). i see most people here have a sense of loneliness and frustration, but only few people seem to have this kind of pervasive disconnection that i'm talking about. the impermanence of being. subjectively speaking, it really divides humanity into "those who have experienced it themselves" and "those who haven't". with "those who haven't" seeming like two-dimensional characters on tv, even if i'm fully aware that they're not

i like how these lyrics illustrate it, looking wistfully at the whole thing:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/grimes/realiti.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRHIMjfmMm0

or, more intense and poetically, trying to maintain a relationship:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bjork/hyperballad.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDrMUDGsZM

(i think it's worth noting that those are women i'm highly attracted to. if i knew them personally, i would definitely be interested in them. it doesn't even matter in what capacity. i'd just want to be close to them)

for instance, i've been obsessed with another forum site in the past. i posted there for years, and it was my main "social circle", just like this one is right now. from time to time, i think to myself "maybe i should take a break". i don't. but then from to time, seemingly out of nowhere (even from my own point of view), i just stop posting, and i disappear for months. for no particular reason. this is far from being the exception when it comes to my behavior, both long- and short-term. it's consistently the rule. it's something i can count on. i don't know when or how it will happen, but i know it will. and it happens just the same way with people (or work or anything that demands sustained focus/interest). this is why autism barely registers to me personally as an issue when it comes to forming relationships. establishing an initial connection is easy. but maintaining it is very hard

adhd is something i can't control. it's by far my main issue. learning new skills can help me deal with it (mostly by accepting that it's not up to me), but it does nothing at all to prevent this shifting of emotional priorities from happening. it's very difficult (if not impossible) for someone without adhd to understand this (or to be understanding). and i'm very sensitive to rejection myself, so i can understand that, and i can't blame them for their lack of understanding. it's not my fault, but it's not their fault either, and they shouldn't be subjected to recurring rejection. not many people can deal with it in a sustainable way. and if i need to find anyone, it's those (mythical?) people who can. how to find them, is "the million-dollar question"

even with other people who do have adhd (or this particular brand of adhd), it's complicated. because while on one hand they can relate, and they connect with me because they feel so hopelessly disconnected from everybody else the same way as i do (which sometimes makes for a very intense bond, as was the case with my ex), they do suddenly lose interest in me from time to time as well. just like i do lose interest in them. or else i can't live my life. i can only have one priority at a time. but at least it's much more likely that they'll expect it and won't take it personally (and vice-versa) even if they or i do feel rejected. which is a start

so i can't let myself be at the mercy of my feelings and obsessions. it's a recipe for disaster if i do. my feelings are just as volatile as they are real and intense. it's part of why i'm so committed, devoted and persistent when i do believe in something. single-minded. because it's either a consistent effort of self-discipline, or it's just aimless nothingness

more concise lyrics: :)
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/mastodon/thesparrow.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RvJ8N_MS8

and this is why i say that my ex "didn't seem to understand the difference between being fond of me and being in a relationship with me". she maintained that we were in a relationship, and she did make it known that she felt rejected when i paid less attention to her for whatever reason. but she rarely acknowledged my own feelings of rejection when she did the same, and she even pushed the limits each time and demanded my support instead. "testing waters" ("do you find this pleasant? are you comfortable with this compromise?") is a good and necessary thing. it's really the smart thing to do in almost any situation involving novelty and uncertainty. but pushing boundaries just to "test people" ("are you willing to endure completely unnecessary stress just to prove how much you care?") is simply no good

I can relate to some of that. When I'm not in a depressed state I tend to have a single intense focus in my life. I have trouble juggling a bunch of different demands at once, mostly due to a lack of emotional investment in any particular thing. I don't necessarily change interests altogether though. It's more like a cycle through them. I'm interested in one thing for a while, then I get bored with it and have to move on to something else, but later I might come back to reignite an old interest. My problem is I get bored easily and it's extremely distressing. Not many people can relate to this. Most people think of boredom in terms that are too mild to describe the pain I can feel from it. When I don't have any focus I get pretty depressed and irritable. I get anhedonic and just find going through the motions of life hard.

I've never really known if this will apply to relationships. While I'm very affectionate, I'm also asexual and don't have the really intense feelings towards people the way you describe. I actually get kind of jealous that I don't. I always feel like there should be more.

I don't know if the "singular focus" thing is truly ADHD or something else. It doesn't seem to be a universal aspect of autism though. We might not even be talking about the exact same thing. I have an online friend who has BPD and she describes having intense feelings for her boyfriend with sudden intermittent periods of feeling nothing or even irritation. She says there is not always a trigger for it. According to pop-psychology there is fear of abandonment causing this distance, but she often describes it as just happening for no reason. The fear of abandonment is more associated with the "on" phase where she is extremely needy. I don't think that kind of thing applies to things other than relationships though, at least not for her.

Anyways, this is off topic. Maybe I should have started another thread. I don't know.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:02 pm

marshall wrote:
I actually get kind of jealous that I don't. I always feel like there should be more.

i think that having this emotional intensity only makes this sense of "there should be more" all the more complicated to deal with. it makes me angry when i'm forced to do something boring or something i believe is wrong (which includes almost any form of employment available). reality forces me to convince myself that what matters to me doesn't actually matter. in the end i lose track of it and i can't tell the difference anymore, and it's like everything is just white noise

Quote:
We might not even be talking about the exact same thing.

i think we are. though it's interesting that you don't have the emotional intensity aspect of it

Quote:
I have an online friend who has BPD and she describes having intense feelings for her boyfriend with sudden intermittent periods of feeling nothing or even irritation.

i'm pretty sure my ex has bpd (which is one of the reasons why it's hard to tell if she has asd or not. but i do believe she does, for many reasons, including genetics). maybe what i'm talking about is universal for bpd, maybe not (there's a high correlation between bpd and adhd). but i wouldn't say it's specific to it (what's more specific to bpd is the combination of a never-ending sequence of very intense emotional fluctuations with an inability to tell emotion from reality). i do have a personality disorder myself (i'm diagnosed with schizoid/schizotypal pd), but i'm sure i don't have bpd

maybe it's depersonalization disorder? i don't know. although i've also seen people with depersonalization disorder talking about having a normal life up to a point when things changed, which i can't relate to. in the end i say "adhd" because it's the only nameable thing i've noticed i tend to have in common with people i identify with, both irl and online. "adhd with depersonalization disorder", maybe? i can definitely see it as a "subtype" rather than as a "comorbidity". although it's hard to tell if the dissociative thing is more "nature" or more of an offshoot of adhd due to [lack of] "nurture" (would i have ever developed healthy/stable attachments if i had had more attentive parents? i don't know)

Quote:
I don't think that kind of thing applies to things other than relationships though, at least not for her.

there's that. so i guess it's not even universal to bpd if we're not talking about relationships only

Quote:
Anyways, this is off topic. Maybe I should have started another thread. I don't know.

it is off-topic (although it's still marginally related, in the sense of explaining why "confidence" is barely even relevant to me, which may also be the case for others. there's no point in spending huge amounts of effort figuring out how to initiate relationships you can't maintain or even benefit from. and, in my opinion, simply knowing what you actually can maintain or benefit from already makes the initial approach a natural thing). but i guess it's hard to decide what would be the exact topic of a new thread expanding on this. responding like this is okay, but it gives me a headache if i really try to define it, or especially, if i try to define what is the purpose of bringing it up

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:17 pm

anagram wrote:
i think we are. though it's interesting that you don't have the emotional intensity aspect of it

I'm not sure I don't. I have emotional intensity at times. I think it may be more damped out lately due to something going on with my health. I've just been in a constant state of tiredness and lethargy lately. You can't really feel much positive emotion when you're like this so much of the time. It really could be that my life in the here-and-now is quite empty (even though things are about to change).

As for relationships not working, maybe it's because you're attracted to people who have BPD traits. It might be the people you have chosen have abnormal demands of emotional intensity from you. I believe I am attracted to people who have a kind of child-like emotional intensity. I have that kind of craving at times. Most people in their 30s are far too "adult" for me. I would find them boring. I hope things turn out good for me with my current girlfriend.

Last edited by marshall on 18 Aug 2016, 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:20 pm

You're a very intelligent guy, Marshall.

I'm sorry for your health problems.

To tell you the truth, I have a vicarious interest in how you do in Turkey should you go and live there.

One of my "special interests" is reading the accounts of expatriates.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One of my "special interests" is reading the accounts of expatriates.

and one of my special interests is being one :D

when i was little i used to think that moving to another country when you grow up was "the normal thing to do". it was only when i stopped to think about it that i realized it was the opposite. but the idea of living forever where i was born remained just as strange to me. it's hard to even grasp it as a possibility (which does make me wonder about "seminomadic hunter-gatherer" theories. because it feels like instinct to me)

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:35 pm

marshall wrote:
As for relationships not working, maybe it's because you're attracted to people who have BPD traits. It might be the people you have chosen have abnormal demands of emotional intensity from you. I believe I am attracted to people who have a kind of child-like emotional intensity. I have that kind of craving at times. Most people in their 30s are far too "adult" for me. I would find them boring. I hope things turn out good for me with my current girlfriend.

yes, i can definitely relate to all that, and you're probably right (although i wouldn't say it's only about being attracted to people who demand what i can't offer. i think that's more of a compounding issue). i just don't know if there's any possible solution, or if it's simply impossible for me to ever have a stable/lasting relationship. which is why, despite how unfair my ex often was to me, i don't blame her. i knew from the beginning how problematic she was, and i'm problematic in similar ways. i knew what i was signing up for, i just didn't know how it would progress. i simply can't picture a relationship with someone who doesn't have a particularly childlike emotional nature

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=326523&p=7247219#p7247219

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:36 pm

I have a strong strain of the Nomad in me as well.

I'm a bit spoiled, though. Especially when it comes to air-conditioning LOL

I'm retiring in six years. At that time, if I can afford it, I might buy an RV and go cross-country, staying in RV parks. This is the best way to meet fellow travelers--and you don't have to get too much in their business! Just hang out, have barbecues, and "chew the fat."

That's why, when I go to Vietnam in a few years, that I want to go in the winter, and go to the Northwest part, near Sapa. There's lots of nice hikes there, and you can see the really colorful rice paddy/terraces.

I have found, for the most part, away from urban centers and universities, that people value humility, and look really, really askance at blatant arrogance. Even in the United States, which is known for its "arrogant" people.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 1:24 am

Just as girls tend to be attracted to confident guys, by the same toen, I'm attrated to cofident girls. Is that true for most guys?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 1:30 am

Confidence | Arrogance.

Here, you all see it now.